PDA

View Full Version : Surrogates

Matt
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Possibly the worst film I've seen since "The Happening".

I only wish I could have sent a surrogate of my own to endure this craptastic offering.

There were only about 10 people in the whole cinema, I thought this odd at first, but after about 10 minutes, I discovered why.

Just awful.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Agreed. Go see Zombieland.

Jim M
10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Rule #2

Matt
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Agreed. Go see Zombieland.

Now that I DO want to see!

Chris S. (Fez)
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Now that I DO want to see!

ZL is a delightfully distasteful film written/directed/acted with style and contagious glee (terrible pun intended).

I am a sucker for Zombie mayhem movies but also willing to back up my opinion with PayPal. If you do not feel sufficiently entertained I will personally refund your* money.

*"your" meaning Matt, not the LW community at large:deal:.

Silkrooster
10-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Awe darn...:D

Sensei
10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Apparently you have not drink too much before watching it..
I have took 2 beers before going to cinema, and inside another 2, and enjoyed the movie.. ;)
This week I have scored "Inglourious Basterds", "Surrogates" and today "District 9".

Currently the most viewed movie in Polish cinemas is "Mall Girls" (in original "Galerianki"). Polish movie about young 15-16 year old prostitutes finding clients in retail parks, and doing it for buying perfumes and stuff like that..
One of forum users commented it "Did Polanski watch it already? I think he would like it very much!" ;)

It was directed by 28 year old women, BTW..

So.. Don't complain about "Surrogates" too much.. ;)

Bottom title "ready for everything"...
http://gfx.filmweb.pl/po/58/92/525892/7280036.3.jpg?l=1253810077000

Mike_RB
10-14-2009, 06:39 AM
I wish I had worked on Mall Girls instead of District 9....

Chris S. (Fez)
10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I wish I had worked on Mall Girls instead of District 9....

...texturing crabs of a different kind. Ew.

I've been wondering: How much creative license did you have? Were the shell patterns defined in preproduction sketches or was it more, "just make it look cool, Mike"?

cresshead
10-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Surrogates was okay actually...not great but okay...no need to buy the dvd mind you!
sorta jumping on the avatar bandwagon but was basically a cop/detective film with a twist much like irobot was.

Mike_RB
10-27-2009, 08:18 PM
...texturing crabs of a different kind. Ew.

I've been wondering: How much creative license did you have? Were the shell patterns defined in preproduction sketches or was it more, "just make it look cool, Mike"?

The blue one was taken from the practical version they had made for the dead version on set. The orange/white was my suggestion of using an african wild dog's pattern.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
The blue one was taken from the practical version they had made for the dead version on set. The orange/white was my suggestion of using an african wild dog's pattern.

Mission accomplished. They blended in SO well my brain registered them as "big ******* bugs" instead of CGI.

Mike_RB
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Mission accomplished. They blended in SO well my brain registered them as "big ******* bugs" instead of CGI.

thanks! I used these guys as reference:
http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/mammal/african_wild_dog/african-wild-dog_02tk.jpg

Ended up looking like a whacked out monarch butterfly pattern once it was on the critter.

radams
10-27-2009, 10:56 PM
thanks! I used these guys as reference:
http://homepage.mac.com/wildlifeweb/mammal/african_wild_dog/african-wild-dog_02tk.jpg

Ended up looking like a whacked out monarch butterfly pattern once it was on the critter.

Hi Mike,

Great job on District 9 !!...Hope you guys get to do the sequel.
You've got a great crew there at The EmbassyVFX.

Hey how did they track all that RED footage to make it work?

Cheers,

Sensei
10-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Great job on District 9 !!...Hope you guys get to do the sequel.

In the sequel human ill survivors from planet Earth should arrive to bug planet.. :)