PDA

View Full Version : Can't play free training videos in this website.

DonLao
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi, does anyone know what version of quicktime do I need in order to play the free training videos in the free training videos section of this website? I have the latest version of quicktime, but can't play any of the videos.

Silkrooster
10-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Have you tried any of the videos on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/user/LightwaveTuts

VFXCast
10-13-2009, 01:26 AM
We have a ton of LightWave 3D videos here at VFXCast - www.vfxcast.com.

Check us out.

biliousfrog
10-13-2009, 02:21 AM
What do you mean by doesn't play?...do you mean that the Quicktime logo shows that the link is broken, does the video not load in a reasonable amount of time, is the play button and timeline blacked out or something else?

BTW almost every video I've tried to watch at VFXCast has the video and audio out of sync. I've tried watching on several computers and they all had the same problems, I sent a message giving specifics ages ago and never got a response.

littlewaves
10-13-2009, 02:24 AM
BTW almost every video I've tried to watch at VFXCast has the video and audio out of sync. I've tried watching on several computers and they all had the same problems, I sent a message giving specifics ages ago and never got a response.

same here. I don't know whether it's down to the screen capture codec they use or down to the VFXcast streaming but yes they're always out of synch (sometimes by several seconds) which makes them really hard to follow

biliousfrog
10-13-2009, 02:33 AM
same here. I don't know whether it's down to the screen capture codec they use or down to the VFXcast streaming but yes they're always out of synch (sometimes by several seconds) which makes them really hard to follow

The last one I tried to watch was almost impossible to follow, I had to remember what I had watched and wait for the explaination to be said and, as you mentioned, it was several seconds out by the end. I haven't been back since, I noticed several comments about the sync problem so I suspect that a lot of people give up on it....shame because it could be good and a lot of people give up their time to contribute.

littlewaves
10-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Hi, does anyone know what version of quicktime do I need in order to play the free training videos in the free training videos section of this website? I have the latest version of quicktime, but can't play any of the videos.

if you're downloading the files completely before playing them and it's just that they're not working in quicktime then try VLC player instead.

It's free and I find it will often work for files that won't play in quicktime

I think some of the older videos up there (ie not the 24 hrs William Vaughan stuff) have ancient codecs which are hard to track down.

archijam
10-13-2009, 02:42 AM
LightMagix3D** Software Suite!

Alternatively, you could buy them all for the special introductory price of $19.95!

(codecs not included)

:santa:

*climbs reluctantly back in box*

ps. VLC was a good tip :thumbsup:

hrgiger
10-13-2009, 03:57 AM
I honestly hate QT. I don't know if its' the same problem but I can no longer play the movie trailers on Apples website. It keeps telling me I need the latest QT so I download it and it still doesn't work. Not to mention that for the last year or so I haven't been able to see the scrubber at the bottom of the window any time I play a QT online. I'm sure it works just fine for Mac users.

biliousfrog
10-13-2009, 05:00 AM
I honestly hate QT. I don't know if its' the same problem but I can no longer play the movie trailers on Apples website. It keeps telling me I need the latest QT so I download it and it still doesn't work. Not to mention that for the last year or so I haven't been able to see the scrubber at the bottom of the window any time I play a QT online. I'm sure it works just fine for Mac users.

It works for Mac users because they're not using 64bit ;)

I don't know why the trailers don't work on Apple's site, I've not experienced that, but the blacked out controls is a GUI issue with the browers and Quicktime caused by running a 64bit OS. The simplest solution, if running Vista 64bit, is to run Firefox in compatibility mode as 'XP'. I believe that it also works with IE but I'm not sure. Unfortunately, running FF in compatibility mode under XP 64bit causes it to crash...the only solution there is to memorize where the controls are (about 20px in from the left for the play button ;)).

dwburman
10-13-2009, 06:22 AM
I think some of the older videos up there (ie not the 24 hrs William Vaughan stuff) have ancient codecs which are hard to track down.

You might try the codec found here: http://www.techsmith.com/codecs.asp

Silkrooster
10-14-2009, 12:32 AM
You might try the codec found here: http://www.techsmith.com/codecs.asp

This codec is definately required for any of the avi files. I can't remember if techsmith's codec was used for the quicktime videos or not. I think a few were, but it's been quite awhile.

JonW
10-14-2009, 01:15 AM
I mostly go back to Netscape 7.2 for downloading various QT movies, I have less problems this way.

geothefaust
10-14-2009, 01:29 AM
I personally use VLC player these days. I can't stand the quicktime player, it's a huge hunk of crap IMHO.

Haven't had any problems since I started using VLC... ;)

archijam
10-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Firefox with the 'Down them all' plugin - FTW !

Done in 5 minutes.

biliousfrog
10-14-2009, 05:17 AM
I use VLC for some stuff but Quicktime is still my favourite player for the scrubbing ability alone.

DonLao
10-14-2009, 06:55 AM
I have techsmith installed on my laptop, and I have no problem playing the quicktime files. I know this because I've Dan Ablan's LW signature courseware which requires techsmith to play it. I downloaded the free training videos which were presented by William Vaughan from this website when they first uploaded, and I can play them all. What happen was when I use IE to open it, it comes up with Quicktime "Q" logo plus question ? mark. The free training vidoes are for viewing only, I can't download it. Or can't I?

Anyway, thanks for the replies folks!

archijam
10-14-2009, 08:24 AM
.. you mean these: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/ ;) ?

oops .. it's these: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/

.. but the first ones are good too :thumbsup:

DonLao
10-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Yes, that's exactly what I meant Archijam.

DonLao
10-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Let me take that back Archijam. After clicking through the links you've provided, that means I can download those videos. Oh yeah, more training videos for me. Much appreciated Archijam!:thumbsup:

archijam
10-14-2009, 09:19 AM
.. and get Firefox and the free plugin 'down them all', as I mentioned. In two clicks you can have them all at once...

littlewaves
10-15-2009, 05:34 AM
I use VLC for some stuff but Quicktime is still my favourite player for the scrubbing ability alone.

yeah scrubbing in VLC sucks. I only use it if the file won't play in QT

MooseDog
10-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Have you tried any of the videos on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/user/LightwaveTuts

WHOA! when did this happen? who's behind it?