PDA

View Full Version : Proper modeling for SubD

sublimationman
10-12-2009, 06:31 PM
I have been trying to model many objects using SubD, One problem I am coming across is the end of an item and not sure what the proper way is to prevent "dipping" for lack of a better term.

In the example below this is a water ripple, I started with a 24 sided disk and beveled it in several times to get the look of water drop ripples. The only thing that looks wrong is the very center. I have the same problem when making a glass or other objects that start of with a disk.

When I started I left it a 24 sided circle (endgon I think is what it's called) that did not look right so then I used make make pole on it and then made the tri's to quads, so every polygon in this model is 4 sided.

You can see the unnatural looking dips between the edges in the very center. What is the proper way to avoid this?

SplineGod
10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Avoid modeling where youre going to have multiple polys sharing the same vertex.
In your example you have a bunh of triangles sharing the same vertex in the center.
Youre more likely to have artifacts doing it that way. Freeze the mesh, do a test render and see if it still shows up. You cant always go by what you see in opengl either. :)
Try making a single square, turn on subpatches and metaforming it a few times.

probiner
10-12-2009, 08:55 PM
What Larry said.
Also, i think, if you want to keep what you have, just simply add more edges and tweak.

Here is an image. If you just put a very tight right around the triangles, or compensated quad like in your image, and scale all down a lot, so its not visible. After add enought edge loops to make the shape.
Cheers

SplineGod
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Heres what I would do:
Make a square, and metaform it a few times.
This will create a disk that is composed of all quads.
Now multishift that in several times. Youll end up with something
like this:

sublimationman
10-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks to both of you. I got around the problem with the current model tightening up the center. Next one I will work with a square instead.

Thanks!