PDA

View Full Version : Help with Keyframes please....

TheDude
10-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi

I'm trying to copy and paste keyframes from one object's Y transformation curve to another oject's Y trans curve in the graph editor.
It lets me copy the selected keyframes but then there's no option to paste them at all......am I missing something really obvious?

Cheers

Silkrooster
10-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Right clicking on the keyframe will bring up a menu that has paste key value.

TheDude
10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the response but that only works for the values of a single keyframe.
I'm trying to copy several keyframes from one curve and then paste them onto a different curve (in the graph editor).
In the pull down "keys" menu there is a "copy selected keys" option, but no "paste keys" option....

Anyone know where those copied "selected keys" can be used.....?

Cheers
Jim

Sekhar
10-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Select a range of frames over which you want to paste, right click, and paste over.

Castius
10-12-2009, 09:07 AM
select your keys
then hold ctrl + right mouse button.
drag it to were you want it.

With multiple channels selected
it's all the same but you need to put your curser over the curve
more specifically. When your curser is over a curve you will see a little arrow.this means you can paste.

TheDude
10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, but that only seems to work on the curve with the selected keyframes.
I want to copy keys from a curve and paste them onto a different curve (e.g. Trans X curve keys to Scale Y curve)

Cheers

dwburman
10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I usually use channel follower for that or an expression that only consists of the first Y channel.

To answer your question directly, try right-clicking on the channel names in the graph editor. :)

jeanphi
10-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Try the dope sheet of the scene editor (not the old scene editor). It works great for this.

TheDude
10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I still didn't get Lightwave to copy and paste a selection of keyframes from one channel to another in the Graph Editor (I really don't think it's possible), but I was able to open the individual channels in the dope sheet (in the scene editor) and copy and paste the keys from there....so thanks jeanphi! :thumbsup:

toby
10-21-2009, 01:17 AM
It should work in the graph editor - select keys, press 'c', select other channel, place mouse over the line at the frame you want, press 'v'.

flakester
10-21-2009, 01:53 AM
The only way I've found of getting keyframes from one object to another (outside of the dope sheet) is to right-click the channel in the Graph Editor bin, slect 'copy'. Now switch over to the other object (making sure it has an existing keyframe in the channel you want to paste to - so that the channel shows up in the GE bin), right-click the chosen channel and select 'paste'.

Meh, it's quicker to use the dope sheet for most things like this, but I do find this method lets me get straight in and tweak the handles after pasting if I need to.

--
flakester

TheDude
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Actually Toby, you're right. I was able to copy and paste some keyframes from one curve to another in the graph editor, but it didn't quite work as you described....

Pressing "c" or "Ctrl c" with keyframes selected did nothing (as far as I could tell). When I tried to paste I got an error message saying I should select some keyframes first.
So I then used the "copy selected keys" drop down menu, selected the target curve in the channel bin and then had quite a fiddly job hovering my pointer over a keyframe, but after a couple of tries it did paste the keys.
I found it was easier and more precise with the dope sheet.

So you can copy and paste keyframes from one curve to another in the graph editor....but like other parts of Lightwave...it could be better implemented.

Thanks for all the responses :thumbsup:

toby
10-21-2009, 11:34 PM
'c' does copy the keyframes, but as you've noticed it's very picky about how to paste them back on. Cntrl-c will copy the current value at the current frame for all channels selected, and cntrl-v will paste them back on their respective channels, no mouse fiddling needed for this one. Came in real handy for extending a pose or position down the timeline, about 6 years ago - I'm sure the dope sheet is better, I just haven't animated since then, and never learned it...

wayne1 huffman
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Not sure if this will help, but I've noticed, in 7.5 at least, Graph Editor doesn't like right mouse clicks. Selecting then using ctrl+C or ctrl+V gives much better results.

jhinky1986
07-20-2018, 03:21 PM
I usually use channel follower for that or an expression that only consists of the first Y channel.

To answer your question directly, try right-clicking on the channel names in the graph editor. :)

This worked for me right click click on rotation "y" (on the very left side of graph editor) click copy. then right click on scale X (or what ever) then click paste.