10-11-2009, 05:50 AM
What´s this?

http://www.lightrender3d.com/LR3D_Resources.html

cresshead
10-11-2009, 06:36 AM
a hideous website...that's what!

jaxtone
10-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Well I just wonder since the film intro and all other assets seem to be doped by some soporific and disturbing delay factor... ZZZZZ... wait... ZZZZ... wait...

I have heard a lot about it but this was actually the first time I visited it, and I guess I will not click that link again. This must be one of the slowest websites I ever visited.

Intuition
10-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Hmm, not bad, reminds me of the hey day of flash websites in the late 90s till about 2003 when whole websites were flash or shockwave.

I did a few of these over designed interfaces as well. By client request... 8/

The website itself is for a render farm service. The design is really terrible though. Often I find that there are great 3d artists that have no sense of design or layout.

The idea isn't bad but design can communicate so much. Great design communicates clear thinking and concise focus.

This design actually fits inside of some of the overall rules with regards to color theme and layout but the flash/shockwave format doesn't lend itself well to sharpness due to the compression.

Also the font choice is a bit weak. Bad font choice can kill a great design no matter how well its thought out.

Gradients inside the font is also hard to balance in this context due to the fact that the scene itself is 3D and adds its own shading gradients across geometry. Also, the fact that the text runs sideways down the cans makes the viewer slightly uncomfortable. The bank gothic at the bottom isn't bad, its clear so it keeps pulling my eyes to it. The only problem is that it feels like font says, like a bank font. The font in my logo is one of my favorite uppercase fonts called, Engravers Gothic. Very rarely used it has the line strength of bank gothic but it gives many of the letters round shapes, like C and O, when called for. Slightly classier, more bold, but understated as well.

The 3D itself isn't too bad for the most part but the problem is that with the colors don't pop so it all ends up being very gray.

I went to the pepsi and coke websites as well as A&w root beer restaurants to see what design theme they are using.

All of them use a 3 color theme, almost all designs have a 2,3 or 4 color design theme. 3 Color being the easiest to balance.

I went looking on the web for great design reference, for those reading this thread interested in Graphic Design, read here for the general rules.

I found this site and its a good all round collection of great design rules taught in Graphic Design schools today.

The art goes deeper than explained here but its a great start.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/designguidelines/Graphic_Design_Guidelines_Rules_of_Good_Design_and _Layout.htm

This one near the bottom pretty much goes right into why overall use of gray can be bad.

http://www.newentrepreneur.com/Resources/Articles/DTP_12_most_common/dtp_12_most_common.html