PDA

View Full Version : Scene causing Spinning Beach Ball of Doom™ - Any Suggestions?

B_Free
10-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi All!

I'm running...
9.6CFM
PowerPC Dual 2.7 GHz
Ram: 4 GB

I'm not professional yet, so I haven't had many complicated scene files. Until this project Lightwave has been rock solid.

My current scene is nothing extraordinary. The only new thing is a Motion file I loaded for an object plus cyclist applied to it. Since adding that motion file however, the scene in Lightwave has become unstable. I'll make little adjustments and suddenly get the Spinning Beach Ball of Doom™.

For what it's worth, here are the specific things I did that gave me the SBBoD™. Every time I (try to) parent the camera to my Null tripod it happens, and every time I use the arrow button to adjust my Camera's focal length. [Weird note: If I just type in the new Focal Length it works fine, it's the actual arrow button that makes it hang.] I tried turning Dynamic Update off as was suggested earlier, no change.

The motion file only has 320 keyframes, and I don't know how to make the object move correctly without it.

Does anybody have any advice/ideas/things I could try?
I have 9.6CFM on OS 10.4 with a PowerPC... would I have better luck with the UB version?

Thank you very much in advance!!! :help:

Markc
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
The UB version is much more stable.
You can install both versions, if you have any CFM plugins you use.

Once Fprime (and all Worley plugins) became UB, I had no reason to stay CFM (works fine on my Dual 2Ghz G5)

B_Free
10-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Okay, I bit the bullet and installed the UB version of 9.6... and I can't quite believe it, but I'm still having the exact same problem!

Could my scene be corrupted somehow? I mean it loads just fine, but as soon as I go to parent the Camera I hear my hard drives spin up and the Beach Ball appears.

Do I not have enough memory in my computer???

Update: I just tried parenting the camera and using the arrow button for the focal length on an earlier version of the scene that did not have the added motion path and cyclist and it worked fine. Would that make this become a bug issue?

toby
10-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Maybe there's conflict with cyclist, have you tried loading the animation without it, that would be a good starting point.

If that works, try unloading/reloading the cyclist plugin. If it still fails, I'd suggest an alternative, maybe an expression.

B_Free
10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Oh dear, I'm afraid this just got really weird.

Now Lightwave can't even find the Cyclist Plugin. 8~

(I'm working in the new 9.6UB version rather than CFM.) I loaded the scene to try and disconnect the cyclist plugin like you suggested Toby, but the system hanged before I could do anything. So I did a Force Quit, a few seconds later I tried to load the scene again and I got an error message that says Lightwave cannot find the Cyclist plugin. I tried making a new scene with a couple nulls but sure enough, "Cyclist" is no longer in the "Add Modifier" drop down box in Motion Options.

I know LW could find the Cyclist plugin before because I've successfully loaded that exact same scene before (in the UB version) and seen my object controlled by Cyclist while I move my Frame Counter in the Timeline back and forth. (...at least until I tried to do something and the system hanged)

Cyclist is in the UB version isn't it? I'm not dreaming that it was there before right? :confused:

Update: I used OS X's Search function to try and locate the plugin file in my LW 9.6 UB folder, thinking I could reconnect it to LW. However it said there are no documents with "cyc" in the title in that folder at all. Does the plugin file have a different name?

toby
10-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Yea, unfortunately the plugin files frequently have a different name than the plugin, but there's often more than one plugin in a file, which have to have different names. I'll see if I can find it. Do you know the process of clearing plugins and reloading them?

B_Free
10-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Clearing plugins and reloading them? I'm afraid I haven't done it before. How do I do it?

Update: Oops, nevermind... I figured it out. :foreheads

That it got back. Thanks! :)

B_Free
10-11-2009, 01:33 PM
:bangwall::cursin:

Now I'm back to my original problem.

With the Cyclist plugin reinstalled I was finally able to load the scene again, so then I immediately disabled cyclist... but I still have the same problem. The moment I try to do something the system hangs!

The thing I'm using cyclist to control is a comet in a very elliptical orbit. For the orbit itself, I made an elliptical motion path in layout. Then I loaded the motion path in Layout and applied cyclist to the comet so that it would speed up and slow down correctly.

I would create the orbit using Expressions if I could, but the problem there is that the equations for an orbit aren't linear. That is to say I can't just set x = blah and y=blah. There is an additional loop that has to be calculated an arbitrary number of times at each time t.

Would this thing with cyclist be a bug? :( Should I just give up and try banging my head against Lscript for awhile? :confused: Better yet, can anyone point me to some really good Lscript explanation/tutorials? (I'm decent at computer programming, I just don't know syntax & loading of lscripts.)

Thank you very much for all your help with this, Everyone!!! :)

toby
10-11-2009, 02:24 PM
You could try baking the key frames before applying cyclist, but this doesn't seem too hard to animate by hand either.

Check out the lscript forum for help with that, and Dodgy has a website with all the functions listed

B_Free
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
I know, right!?? It seems like that sort of thing would be a piece of cake to animate, but the Cyclist function was the solution I could find. Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102423

Also, thanks for the tip to check out Dodgy's website! I've already got my first question up in the Lscript forum for my first Lscript problem. :)

I'll also try the Motion Baking idea, that is if I can do it without my system hanging first.

-Sigh-

Thanks for all your help though!!! :beerchug:

toby
10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I know, right!?? It seems like that sort of thing would be a piece of cake to animate, but the Cyclist function was the solution I could find. Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102423

Also, thanks for the tip to check out Dodgy's website! I've already got my first question up in the Lscript forum for my first Lscript problem. :)

I'll also try the Motion Baking idea, that is if I can do it without my system hanging first.

-Sigh-

Thanks for all your help though!!! :beerchug:
I see, well there's no getting it *that* accurate by keyframing it, but here's what I could do - (rename it to .lws) Still needs a little tweaking with the beziers.

And I hate to tell ya this, but I tried cyclist and it worked just fine. Are you using Leopard? I've noticed people having more lw problems with Leopard than I do, with Tiger.