PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Matt
10-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Was there really a need to resurrect and ruin this perfectly great classic?

A Nightmare On Elm Street (http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/anightmareonelmstreet/)

archijam
10-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Yes.

Matt
10-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes.

Explain?

AdamAvenali
10-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Explain?

to kill it, of course :thumbsup:

borkus
10-10-2009, 09:31 AM
That looks pretty lame... But, the sad part is that this newer, younger crowd will clamor around it and say it was spooky, edgy..., blah blah blah. Yet, again, Mr. Bay takes a franchise that has been done to death and thinks he can make it better. I haven't seen a thing out of him yet that I even remotely liked. Given to the right hands, this could have been an opportunity. All the elements are there to weave a truly wicked story. A gruesome looking figure that visits you in your sleep and has astronomical super powers to wield. Later in the Craven series when the kids began to be able to adapt to their dreams and have powers as well made for a good laugh and chilling moments as well. Ah, the good memories. But, this will undoubtedly suck in the hands of Mr. Bay. And we all know that there will unfortunately be at least one sequel from this. I'm not the type to wish ill-will upon anyone. But, if I could just give a shove to a good healthy dose of swine-flu in one particular direction...............

radams
10-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Well Matt,

To answer your question there are several answers.

a) From a psych and philosophy point - Why not
b) For $$$$$$$
c) Cause Bay can
d) Bay wishes he was Freddy ;)
e) Bay needed to get away from his nightmare on Transformers and wanted to exercise that out of him through this :)

Take the answer that suites you :)

Cheers,

cresshead
10-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Was there really a need to resurrect and ruin this perfectly great classic
= money

JeffrySG
10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
It really seems that Hollywood is really best at resurrecting old ideas and butchering them. Maybe that's the real horror story.

JeffrySG
10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Was there really a need to resurrect and ruin this perfectly great classic
= money

Yep. All the money they save on development means more money for them in the end. I don't think they really care about the final product much. Just how much $ it will generate in the end.

Matt
10-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I get that it's done for money, rather than the genuine need to improve on the original, it was a rhetorical question really.

lesterfoster
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
As soon as I saw the name Michael Bay, I thought sh**, and lots interest in this remake. To bad that someone like Peter Jackson was the producer/director. It would be a good movie then.

borkus
10-10-2009, 11:25 AM
It really seems that Hollywood is really best at resurrecting old ideas and butchering them. Maybe that's the real horror story.

I think you're on to something, Jeffry. If someone would come along and make a movie that revolved around the planning stages of such a movie with the investors, Bay, and generally anybody else that makes this tripe just for money's sake; I think many of "us" would watch it and wouldn't sleep for weeks... That would truly be a horrifying experience. A couple of years ago I was sent to some seminars for my company for market analysis and marketing in general and those classes creep me out to this day. To see the energy these people put into making you believe that a said product is good kind of makes you wonder what kind of product you would get if they took that effort and actually MADE a good product...

Kuzey
10-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I loved that song. 1...2....Freddy's coming for you....3...4...Michael Bay sucks....:hey:

I see they had to film how Freddy became Freddy. I guess it's hard for today kids to understand unless they see it with their eyes.

I wonder if Freddy transforms into a car???

Kuzey

Matt
10-10-2009, 01:24 PM
As soon as I saw the name Michael Bay, I thought sh**

Me too.

JohnMarchant
10-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Why bother and waste the money. Give it to an independant film maker and hopefully they will come up with something original and better

Silkrooster
10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I wonder if they resurrect horror movies to satisfy an itch without actually hurting anybody. Muwahaha...

toby
10-11-2009, 12:40 AM
It's really hard to find a story that will make everyone want to go see it the first weekend, especially when you have no sense of taste whatsoever (hollywood execs), so remakes are a gold-mine.

However, the cinematography in this one looks ten times better than in the original. But Bay is bound to f*** up the screenplay and editing in the process of dumbing it down to a trailer-trash audience.

Deadlyforce
10-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Given the trailer, it's almost certain that movie will be a complete disaster...
But yes, it's disarming to see people enjoy such crappy movies without using their brain or trusting their guts.

I think that most people genuinely know when they watch bad stories but they're easily distracted with bling and lights. The Star Trek reboot was bad, but a few action/explosions covered that fact well. I guess that a beautiful photo, shiny colors, many explanations about Freddy's transformation and a few gore fx will cover easily another badly written storyline.

Well, if it pleases them...:foreheads

My 2 cents...:)