PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so!

snookD
10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi All,

Doing a few tests. I've just imported a car mesh (native LWO) into modeller. I'm able to dolly and pan etc without a problem however when I try and apply any transforms (rotate, move) even without SubD it chokes.

The same mesh in C4D rotates in realtime with ease. I've even booted up Lightwave in Parallels and been able to rotate, scale etc without a problem.

Am I missing something?!

INFO:
Poly Count 26106
Mac Pro Quad Core / 3.2GHZ / 10Gb Ram / GeForce 8800 GT

OlaHaldor
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
That sounds very strange. Could you mention any fancy info here ? Poly count? Number of surfaces?

I have had quite a few problems myself today with a project I got tossed in my lap last night. I was sent models done in SolidWorks convertet to *.obj. They're really nice, complicated and all - but they're a MESS. Too many polys. The least amount of polys were over 1.5 million polygons, and about 300 surfaces. That made my Mac Pro 2 x Quad 2.8GHz choke, and it takes 5-10 minutes just to LOAD the model, you can imagine how it is to select parts of polygons to resurface, group and all..

Not trying to rip your thread to bits - just wanna point out an example where brute force processing power really won't cut it. I hope for your sake you have more or less a similar model to what I have - too many polys and ridiculously many surfaces.

snookD
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Yep sorry should have given a bit of background info. The model only comes in at 26106 poly's?!

As I said I tested out the same model with a windows version and it handled the model in both SubD mode and raw poly's. This is within Parallels desktop.

If the poly count was up in the millions then yep of course that's gonna get a performance hit.

snookD
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Ok it seems that there was a small amount of geometry on a layer that was still subD'd.
Does mixing it up like that bring lightwave to a crawl?

snookD
10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
With regards to CAD data your better off if you can, getting them to send IGES Files and converting it through MOI. It outputs lovely clean meshes as Native LWO objects complete with Vertex Normal Map.

OlaHaldor
10-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I have no experience with SubD + normal polys, so I can't help you there. I've really not used much SubD at all, so I'm unfortunately not the right guy to answer this.

Thanks for the tip! IGES.. hmm.. I don't recall that being one of the listed options of plugins nor native formats they could export from SolidWorks though, but I'll dig into it.

snookD
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
IGES is a standard format so I'm sure it can.

If you go the IGES - MOI - LWO route you'll have complete control over the density of your meshes. You can output as Ngons which gives you great looking meshes. Plus the vertex normal map allows you to have a perfectly smooth mesh with less poly's.

Kuzey
10-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Is the model made in an earlier version of LW??

I say so, because the file formats were tweaked in 9.6 which has caused me problems. Have you tried exporting it from the PC version as a new lwo file or as an obj or anything else and see if that fixes the problem in the Mac version.

Kuzey

snookD
10-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Hey Kuzey

Yep looks like it was created in 2005.
I'll resave and see how I get on. Thanks for the tip.

rsfd
10-11-2009, 08:57 AM
hi,
26000 polys shouldn't make problems on your machine.
Additional to the tips you already got:
What are Modeler's OpenGL settings?
Modeler performance slows down notably (for me) when "Transparency channel" is checked.
Multitexture against GLSL, where Multitexture is faster here (MacPro/8800GT).
What viewport settings do you use, wireframe usually is the snappiest setting, Texture works quite well (for me) too.
Even on my G5 dual, a quite old machine, working with 1-1.5 million poly objects is rather well possible (in poly mode - subD slows down remarkably, so hiding every unneeded geometry may be needed).

snookD
10-11-2009, 12:42 PM
OpenGL settings are:
multitexture shaders
transparency channel off
smooth shade

Do Layout and Modeler process raw data differently? Once in layout I can rotate/move without any problem at all.

Just to clarify navigating around the object in modeler is snappy and responsive. Only when I try to apply any transforms things slow down.

snookD
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Basically in modeller if I try and rotate a fairly dense mesh there will be a delay of 1-2 seconds, once the rotation is up to speed I can rotate with fairly minimal lag.

rsfd
10-12-2009, 04:09 AM
Only when I try to apply any transforms...
That's normal - the more points are to be moved the more noticable the slow down will get.
Don't know about the technical aspects of it, but Layout is much more snappier in general (could have to do with geometry caching).
If we'll have luck, cocoa Modeler will be more responsive.
Due to Apple's "switching behaviour" during the last years, it was very hard for developers to optimize older Mac software, like it was possible with the windows versions.

snookD
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Good to know anyway. Hopefully core will address alot of these issues. Thanks for all the info.