PDA

View Full Version : FPrime seems to be shutting my MacBook Pro down

melmoth2
10-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I bought FPrime this morning and it is fantastic. However 3 times I've left the room with LW running and the FPrime window open, then returned to find that my MacBook Pro has turned itself off. I read somewhere that FPrime is very processor intensive - could the shutdown be caused by the machine overheating? It doesn't seem to happen when I'm at the machine, only when I step out for a few minutes - very weird. Has anyone else experienced this and can suggest a solution? I'm running a MacBook Pro 2GHZ Dual Core with Snow Leopard and LW 9.6 UB

OlaHaldor
10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Is your Mac set to go to sleep after a certain time? Check the Energy Saving settings in System Preferences.

melmoth2
10-09-2009, 10:46 AM
No it's not set to sleep. The Mac is shutting off completely and when I check the log I get a Previous Shutdown Cause: 3 message in the Kernel Log. I've just downloaded and started running CoolBook. Interestingly I ran a 100 frame TGA render and the Mac shutdown on frame 64. I re-ran the same render with me at the machine doing other stuff and a frozen gel pad from the freezer under the machine! The temperature went up to 120C with both fans running at 5000 rpm - no crash though. With CoolBook the same render is running at 55C and a fan speed of about 2700 so it looks like it might have been a heat issue. I'll run some more tests to see if this has solved it.

POTO2220
10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
what graphics card are you using in that macbook??

melmoth2
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
what graphics card are you using in that macbook??

ATI, RadeonX1600 which came with the machine

melmoth2
10-09-2009, 12:38 PM
OK - I've been running the 100 frame TGA render for the last hour and a half with no shut downs, a temp of 55C and a fan rpm of about 2700 so it looks as though it was a heat issue that Coolbook has fixed.

v1u1ant
10-10-2009, 04:07 AM
If i was you i would check this apple thread regarding the ATI card you have, its a growing issue which apple are ignoring, i dont think its related only to the MBP with this card aswell so people with any Mac with this card may want to check out the thread aswell:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1697470>

I had the same graphics card and my MBP is now a brick/ornament/bookend, i would warn you to keep an eye on it and if you have apple care i would suggest taking it in.

Id be interested to know how coolbook helps you though as thats the one thing i am yet to try.

melmoth2
10-10-2009, 07:57 AM
If i was you i would check this apple thread regarding the ATI card you have, its a growing issue which apple are ignoring, i dont think its related only to the MBP with this card aswell so people with any Mac with this card may want to check out the thread aswell:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1697470>

I had the same graphics card and my MBP is now a brick/ornament/bookend, i would warn you to keep an eye on it and if you have apple care i would suggest taking it in.

Id be interested to know how coolbook helps you though as thats the one thing i am yet to try.

Thanks for the tip. CoolBook has knocked the temperature of my MBP from about 120C down to a steady 40 - 55 degrees when running FPrime, basically by reducing the voltage draw of the CPU, so it seems to have been well worth the $10.