PDA

View Full Version : screamernet over wi fi??

littlewaves
10-09-2009, 03:57 AM
I know it's not a generally good idea and that a gigabit ethernet connection is recommended but would it be a complete waste of time to try to use screamernet over wireless?

Anyone tried this?

Basically it would be a network of three to four fairly average spec household computers (mac and pcs - core 2 duo mostly) that are in different rooms so cabling not very practical.

Is all the scene data (models textures etc) transfered in one big lump at the start of the scene or is it constantly referenced for each frame?

Basically what I'm wondering is will it still be significantly faster than rendering on one machine or will it just take too long because of delay in loading the render nodes with info?

I'd only really need to use it occasionally for hobby stuff (I'd use a farm for any paid work) so I'm not in need of an industrial render farm at home I just want to occasionally render out animations a little quicker.

Any thoughts?

Phil
10-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I use this routinely at the moment, and have never really had any issues that I can see. The data is, for the most part, transferred in the first setup, but naturally any time-based data may need to be transferred as the need arises (e.g. image sequences, cached data, etc.). Depending on your average render times, the impact of data transfer might be significant - usually, though, I see render times between 0.5 and 6 hours per frame and so the initial transfer and subsequent transfer of data is of no importance in the render times.

JonW
10-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Gigabit ethernet is really quick if you are just transferring files from a HD on one box to HD on another box.

In my case when SN is dishing out files to each node the best I can get the gigabit connection is about 9- 12% for each of the 5 external boxes, the box which SN is running on, that node is loaded quickly from the SSD or Velociraptor.

If its a massive scene it can take a long time to load (I have one scene that takes about 11 minutes to load). But once the scene is loaded on each box all that happens then for each node, is for instructions for the next frame to render & once completed, the frames sent back to the box you want it saved on. In other words, after the initial scene is loaded next to no data while each of your hundreds or thousands of frames are being saved.

If you have a lot of frames to render chuck as many computers as you have at it. Its worth setting up & getting all those boxes off their bums.

If you are not going to use the other boxes that much, just put the network switch near the other boxes & run one cable from your main box. (If you find that the extra boxes are useful then change to wireless or run a longer cable somehow around the premises, if you have to use wireless its better to have those extra boxes on wireless than not at all).

Also two on my MBs build in ethernet, I only got 8% via SN, & with a third party card got them up to 12%. Another MB was 9% & with third party card it went down to 7%, so I reverted to the onboard ethernet.

Any normal scene will only take 30 seconds to a couple of minutes to load. So if you have a hundred frames to render its more than worthwhile even with wireless.

You could have all the other boxes on ethernet & the one box on wireless.

littlewaves
10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
thanks for the advice guys

sounds like it's at least worth me giving it a try.

Now if I could only animate a scene worth rendering.

JonW
10-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Just draw up your house & move the camera around. Its best to copy & learn from something you are familiar with. & then you will iron out all the animation issues more easily.