PDA

View Full Version : Displacement map only bumps no matter what the amplitude.

Euthanasiast
10-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've worked in Lightwave, and I am certain that this is some silly something that I have merely forgot about, but I've tried everything I can think of, so...

I created a simple UV map from a flat surface and brought it into Photoshop. I created a simple white on black BG texture I intend to use as a displacement map. I saved it out as a .png file and brought it into Layout. I loaded it up appropriately then fired up FPrime.

The trouble is that this displacement map is not displacing, it's bumping.

Now I've turned the texture amplitude up as high as 10,000 and inverted the texture. I've changed almost every setting and reloaded the image into Image Editor. I disabled and enabled the alpha channel, made alpha only... I get slightly different results but the displacement map will only come of the model a couple of millimeters, like a bump map. I need it to come up about 1/8" or so.

What am I doing wrong? I know thishas got to be some silly something that I'm missing, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

I have included an image of my setttings for you to look at in determining the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, I already inverted the image so what was black is now white, etc. I think I've tried just about everything.

Danner
10-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I see you upped the bump strenght to 1000.. how about the displacement? displacement is not per surface but per object. itīs in the object properties.

Euthanasiast
10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Are you referring to the deform tab in object properties?

Thanks for your help.

Danner
10-08-2009, 09:56 PM
yes, there is a texture channel there "Displacement map" you have to have your object subdivided enough in that area for the effect to be good looking.

Euthanasiast
10-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean, because right this moment it looks pretty terrible. Any ideas on the BEST way to subdivide this thing? The whole sand cake object is like 2600 polys as of now.

Euthanasiast
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Hmmm, it looks as though I am going to have to model this instead of using it for a displacement map. Subdividing really isn't working out in this situation. I would have thought a displacement map would have worked fine in this instance. Am I correct in assuming that I can create and eps file out of this and load it into modeler and extract it the distance that I like?

Danner
10-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Yes an eps file can be imported into modeler to be extruded. I agree that it might be the best aproach unless you wanted a soft transition in that cawse you would have to use a slightlly blurred displacement map on a very high poligon count object.

SplineGod
10-09-2009, 02:50 AM
You can also apply it as a normal map.

Euthanasiast
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Could you refresh my memory on the specifics of that? I'll go ahead and start researching it, but in the event I'm unable to discover the basics of how to accomplish this, I could use a little help.