PDA

View Full Version : G2 Anyone using it yet?

luka
02-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Hello
I was wondering if anyone is using G2? I had a look at the Worley website but couldn't find a demo. I'm really intersted in this one. So has anyone got any personal reviews, I would really apreciate it.:)

riki
02-26-2003, 05:25 PM
No I haven't used it :-) But they say that you should try everything at least once.

luka
02-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Someone must be using G2? Come on out with it :confused:

Karl Hansson
02-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Im using G2. Well I havent tried every little function yet but from what Ive done it pretty much live up to its purpose. Im currently learning to use G2 so I guess I dont have any quality renderings to show you. The preview window is also great and work really good even on my old G4 450. And it is stable to.

luka
02-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Thaks Karl
That really sounds like it might be beneficial to my toolset.

RobinWood
02-27-2003, 02:43 AM
I'm using it, and I love it.

You can get demos of all Worley's stuff at www.worley.com/downloads.html

You can't change the attributes on any of them, but you can download the program and the demo scene files, and see how they render on your own machine.

Like everyone else, I'm just learning it; but here is a candle I did with it. There is no visible flame, because this is just a quick test shot; but it gives you an idea. The shading on the candlestick is G2 as well.

http://www.robinwood.com/DiscussionGraphics/CandleTest1.jpg

The skin tools are wonderful. You can give characters red glowing ears and everything. What you cannot do is see bones through the skin, or things like that. So, from that viewpoint, it's not perfect.

Here's a test render of a little fairy, to show you what I mean. (The clothing is just kind of sketched in, because I'm not sure about the nudity rules on this board.)

http://www.robinwood.com/DiscussionGraphics/FairyTest9.jpg

The ability to make these changes, and see them in real time without any more rendering, is probably worth the price of the program, at least to me. I use the G2 Preview a lot.

One of the valuable things about the Preview is that you can isolate all the attributes (reflection, scattering, etc.) and see just which parts of the picture come from each one. You can also see which light is contributing to which part; so fixing undesirable shadows and artifacts is suddenly much easier.

It's also quite stable, at least so far.

All in all I'm very happy with it.

vertiis
02-27-2003, 03:18 AM
Grzesiek Jonkajtys is using G2 from what i know. his site can be found at:
http://www.3dluvr.com/jonkajtys/

regards,
v.

luka
02-27-2003, 09:21 AM
I downloaded G2 because I heard you can use it in demo mode. But I can't seem to run it. If I apply it to my surface it just comes up with the machine id stuff and I have to send for a serial number. So how do you use it in demo mode then? Can you tell me RobinWood.:)

JMarc
02-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Worley demos don't allow you change parameters within the plugin interface, they only let you render pre-made scenes using them. The Worley website does provide lots of examples for you to try out.

G2 is fantastic. When you are surfacing/texturing your models, it will make you much more productive very quickly. I would highly recommend it.

mbaldwin
02-27-2003, 11:30 AM
I am estatic about G2. It's absolutely *&#[email protected]# amazing.

I think the subsurface scattering and other G2 effects are the easiest to show. But what's harder for Worley to convey is how this one plug dramatically assists and transforms your workflow. My creativity has been greatly helped by bringing lighting design out of abstraction and into the real-time realm. scenes can be balanced out immediately, both terms of how they are lit, and how they are surfaced. wow.

Remember those amusement-park cranes? stick in your money and crank the wheel and try to pick up your prize bear or cigarrette lighter.--?

working before G2 is like that. awkward. Now that I have G2, it's like I can use my own hands. Get it.

NigelH
02-27-2003, 12:32 PM
As it's been said - G2 is pretty awesome. The only drawback I've come across is that G2 surfaces don't pick up Sasquatch shadows (see below). Though I believe they're working on that. Other than that, as I said, pretty aewsome.

mlinde
02-27-2003, 12:51 PM
There is a patch to Sasquatch due out any time that addresses the shadows issue Nigel mentioned. This has (of course) already been fixed in the Windows version, but the Mac work is proceeding. Look for a Sas update in the near future!

NigelH
02-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Wow! Next time, I'll check first, post second! Seems they uploaded a patch 2 days go. My bad. :-)

RobinWood
02-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Luka, as has been mentioned, it's not exactly a demo. You can't put it on your own materials and play with it at all.

You install it, and then you can render the G2 materials in the demo scenes that Worley provides. (Or any other scene files with G2, one assumes.)

This will allow you to see how quickly it runs on your machine, how much it adds to the rendering time (you can enable and disable the G2 shader,) and lets you try it out with different lighting, etc.

I don't think it lets you use the G2 Preview, though, and that's really the best part of the package, as much as I love the subsurface scattering.

luka
02-27-2003, 07:18 PM
I didn't realise that you could do that I'm going straight over there and downloading the test scenes. I can't wait.:D