PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: Scale loop normal?

jeric_synergy
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Scale Loop Normal ???
Is it possible to scale a loop on it's "normal"?? Let me give an example:

Imagine you are creating the neck of a stork or a brontosaurus by extruding a loop. As you match the background image you're using for guidance, you find yourself repeatedly extruding, moving, rotating, scaling, and then compensating for the scaling being in world coordinates rather than normal to the plane of the loop you are extruding. (I hope that was clear.) This compensation is a big PITA.

So, basically, I'm looking for a scaling/shrink function that takes into account the (average) plane of the Edge Loop/Vertices I am scaling/shrinking.

Thanks!

(I'm using "shrinking" here to denote non-equal scaling.)

Tobian
10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Have you tried something like just using multishift interactively, and then delete the excess loop with a bandglue operation, afterwards?

AdamAvenali
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
i may be totally misreading your post haha but i just use the scale (shift+H) tool with my mode set to selection. is that what you meant? or did it totally go over my head? haha

jeric_synergy
10-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Tobian, I don't see how Multishift would allow me to follow the curve of the neck and rotate the resulting loops.

Adam, TMK Scale in Modeler is always in World Coordinates. I want something that will react to the plane of the selection, and treat that (average) plane as the new world coordinates.

Tobian
10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Sorry I glossed over rotation oops.

For that why not just set the mode -> action centre:selection ? That centres the rotation to the centre of your selection. That's pretty much the action centre I use all the time? Or have I misunderstood again?

jeric_synergy
10-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I suggest you re-read the entire question and the comments.

Tobian
10-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Well looking back to what you wrote again, I'd still do exactly as I said. To inset based on a normal, so you are 'scaling', whereby you are insetting by N value, rather than simply performing a 'scale' operation, I'd use multishift, because it lets you do that interactively, the caveat being you'd have to drop the tool to subsequently then rotate the loop etc. The smooth scale tool does what you want, but it's non-interactive so it's a bit useless to use for fluid organics like that.

Otherwise sorry, no, I don't know of such a *specific* plugin, just how I would do it using the tools.

JeffrySG
10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Couldn't you do a 'point normal move' after you have your loops selected?

translate > more > point normal move

jeric_synergy
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Couldn't you do a 'point normal move' after you have your loops selected?

translate > more > point normal move
dang, ALMOST... I think that may be as close as I'm gonna get-- I don't like the workflow, but until a fast construction plane utility is available, this is almost it.

(EDIT: the workflow is a bit herky-jerky is what I mean, back and forth.)

Thanks, Jeffry! :)

JeffrySG
10-09-2009, 06:40 AM
No problem... hope it helped. :)

Sensei
10-10-2009, 08:06 AM
So, basically, I'm looking for a scaling/shrink function that takes into account the (average) plane of the Edge Loop/Vertices I am scaling/shrinking.

Interactive tool Wrinkle from TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu, does that when used with Segments leaved at 1.. Adjusting Shift to >0.0 will bump outside of object, <0.0 inside of object. Shift parameter is in meters.