PDA

View Full Version : Exporting groups to .obj file

hrgiger
10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
How do you ex[prt surfaces in Lightwave so that they show up as groups in another applicaiton(as a part of the .obj file)? In this case, I'd like to hide geometry in topogun while I'm retopologizing and it requires surface groups to hide and unhide geometry. I thought that it would either be a new surface or a selection set in Lightwave but neither of those seem to work. Thanks.

hrgiger
10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Bump. Nothing?

probiner
10-09-2009, 06:41 PM
hey, you're the guy with 9721 posts... what are we supposed to tell you? :)

Bump

Kuzey
10-10-2009, 05:16 AM
I haven't tested it in an exported obj to see if it works but wouldn't this do:

Detail tab>Parts>Create Part or Surfs to Parts

or

Selection tab>Selection sets>Select sets

Kuzey

Jim M
10-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Selection sets. should get a pop up, saying export selection sets as groups. click yes.
If you dont get the requester, press O and adjust OBJ export options.

hrgiger
10-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks I'll give that a try. I really like topogun but I've found the one thing in it that really bugs me. It has a see through mode which allows you to see through your reference mesh(which you pretty much have to use most of the time) but it also shows the retopo mesh over top of that so when you have overlapping areas like the ears and you have retopo geometry behind it, you can't hardly see what you're doing which is why I want to be able to hide some of the geometry. The maker of topogun says he hasn't found a solution for this yet.

Algae998
10-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I had to enable obj zbrush mode in order to get selections/groups to export with my model..might help.