PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Render on i7s only using 50% processor power.. help

Kaptive
10-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, the title said it all. I'm using Butterfly personal to render scenes on 3 i7 based PCs, but if I open task manager while it is rendering, it tells me I am only using 50% of the processing power.

I'm up to date and running version 4.35 of butterfly, and each client is configured to use all processors...

So what gives? I can't find any information on this anywhere, and I'm guessing that I'm not getting anywhere near the amount of rendering speed that I should be.

Any insight, or maybe even a solution would be greatly received right now, as I have a lot of rendering to do! Wahhhhhhh

Cheers

Kris

Zimtower
10-08-2009, 06:27 AM
More nodes always works, at least with screamernet :p

biliousfrog
10-08-2009, 06:39 AM
How many threads have you set in Lightwave? If you want one node per thread set the threads in Lightwave to 8.

Hieron
10-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Works fine here. Can't imagine it has anything to do with either BNR or with i7's

Kaptive
10-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Oooh ok, so the actual thread count is saved into the scene, and will tell Butterfly how many to use? I'll give it a try.. although I'm sure I have tried that before and it didn't make a difference.
I'll give it a go though. Thanks bilious :)

Zimtower.. yes, funnily, that is what I have just done, and it seems to bridge the problem for now until I understand more about it.

Basically, I'm running 2 nodes on each PC, and now it is using the full machines capacity. Hoorah!

Still, I'm glad I checked out the CPU usage, as I'd just presumed that it would use all the processing power on a single node if that was how it was set up. Shows what I know :)

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Kris

Kaptive
10-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Works fine here. Can't imagine it has anything to do with either BNR or with i7's

Are you running a single node per machine Hieron, and it is using 100% of the CPU in task manager? Or do you have 2 or more nodes on each client?

Kris

JML
10-08-2009, 07:38 AM
thread count is store in the LW9-64.cfg