PDA

View Full Version : Matching BG image, render is different to layout

biliousfrog
10-08-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm having a nightmare time trying to get these photo-comps to work despite having satellite, survey and camera/lens data. Something which is making things worse is that the background image in layout seems to be a different shape than the render.

If you look at the attached image, I've taken a screen grab with the render to the left and you can see the layout view at the right. I've highlighted the most obvious areas which are different, the layout view seems to be stretched.

I've tested the classic, perspective and real lens cameras.

The same thing happens in FPrime

I've tried adjusting the frame aspect and Layout still shows a wider image than the render

Danner
10-08-2009, 04:56 AM
You have bounding box threshold set too low, so the furthest part of your building doesn't show up. That is what I noticed, kind of hard to judge how well the background matches when you have an object missing from view.

biliousfrog
10-08-2009, 05:41 AM
:foreheads

That building is actually set to bounding box so that I could line up the foreground one with the existing background building...I can't believe that I did that :rolleyes:...I couldn't see the wood for the trees.

well, thanks...I feel like a complete idiot now:D

JonW
10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Good that you solved it.

I usually trace key back ground items as lines & stick figures (gutters, surrounding buildings, power poles & anything that is on the photo that is also on the survey) & have them as a separate object that I can put right in front of the camera. Which means that it doesn’t matter if the background image is obscured by the new building because now you have a copy in front & once this is lined up, its very quick to scale up or down the BG image.

Also lens correcting wide angle images & especially images taken with zooms can solve a lot of problems lining up issues. & making sure that the camera is absolutely level on the tripod makes life easier.

biliousfrog
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I've stuck a sheet of acetate over the monitor and drawn around things that I need to line up, it has really helped.

kosmodave
10-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey, Sandown sea front?

Dave

biliousfrog
10-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey, Sandown sea front?

Dave

Yes!

Wow...you would have been pretty useful a while back when I needed photo's :D

kosmodave
10-08-2009, 02:15 PM
When I was a child, about fifty yards past the new development on the seafront, can't quite see it in your pic, my grandparents run a small cafe. My grandfather made the best soft whipped ice cream in town and always saved some for me and my sister, probably explains my cholesterol problem now :D
Happy days.....

Dave.