PDA

View Full Version : animated texture?

jbf2700
10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
is it possible to animate a texture to make a time lapse animation of the surface.... I have a shiny gear rotating that I want to dull, tarnish, and begin to rust through time of the animation. Is this possible to do? and What would be the best way to achieve this?

SplineGod
10-08-2009, 05:18 AM
The simplest way is to create two surfaces and use the surfmix shader to blend from the nice shiney surface to the dull tarnished one.

jbf2700
10-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks man. I will definately give that a try. I may try it with three textures if that is possible... By the way, you're stuff is awesome. I'm just a beginner trying to break out in the field.

SplineGod
10-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks. The nice thing about the surfmix shader is that you can blend the surfaces using standard textures. :)

bjornkn
10-09-2009, 05:03 AM
I've never used the Surf Mix shader, but I would think that you would have a lot more control using nodes, or even multi-layers with envelopes on opacity to make them fade in or out over time?
Using nodes you could easily have an animated grit node, or amb_occlusion control the opacity of mixed materials or shaders. The possibilities are endless for mixing 2 or more surfaces.