PDA

View Full Version : 2012 5 minute trailer (HD)

Soth
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_wD4aaKKog

So many 3d objects destroyed... in 5 minutes

OnlineRender
10-06-2009, 11:32 AM
CG work just gets better and better cant wait to see it in another 20 years ,ohhh wait we will all be burnt to a crisp

hrgiger
10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
This movie is probably going to be terrible. But that is some of the most impressive CG work I've ever seen. I'm wondering if the studios that worked on that were like "oh yeah, we can do that no problem."

Intuition
10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
LOL. Man, that chase becomes so ridiculous it becomes hilarious after a minute.

This will be the surprise hit comedy of the year.

Lots of work was done here at DD. Pretty neat seeing it all edited together.

realgray
10-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I love it!

walfridson
10-06-2009, 12:54 PM
looks pretty stupid...

Matt
10-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I'm a sucker for disaster movies, so will no doubt be checking this one out.

The only thing that bugs me in these films are the reactions to seeing something catastrophic like that, they never seem to capture the sheer, utter panic you'd probably display at the magnitude of what you've just witnessed.

I also have a theory that disaster movies are the Government's way of preparing us for something they know will happen but are scared to come out and say for the pandemonium it would cause! :D

Larry_g1s
10-06-2009, 01:45 PM
UNBELIEVABLE EFFECTS!!! I'm mean wow!!

The only thing that bugs me in these films are the reactions to seeing something catastrophic like that, they never seem to capture the sheer, utter panic you'd probably display at the magnitude of what you've just witnessed.Couldn't agree more on this clip.

hrgiger
10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I'm always up for a disaster movie. But I really do hate those scenes which have become kind of cliche where the world is collapsing around someone and they stay just 2 inches ahead of the disaster at all times for way too long. Kind of like The Day after Tomorrow where they're running from the sub freezing temperatures(come on) and Independance day where Vivica Fox is running from the destruction caused by the alien craft. I guess Roland Emmerich has a real glean in his eye for this kind of crap.

Liber777
10-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm a sucker for disaster movies...

Me too. That's one reason why I love living in New York City now; I get to see my neighborhood destroyed over and over again in disaster movies!

JeffrySG
10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
:agree:

I'm a sucker for disaster movies, so will no doubt be checking this one out.

The only thing that bugs me in these films are the reactions to seeing something catastrophic like that, they never seem to capture the sheer, utter panic you'd probably display at the magnitude of what you've just witnessed.

and :agree:

The escape ships from the apple trailer look pretty cool too...
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/2012/

Andyjaggy
10-06-2009, 02:41 PM
The effects look awesome, and I will probably see it for that reason alone. but............ I don't have very high expectations for it to actually be a good piece of cinema.

Sekhar
10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, I'm always up for a disaster movie. But I really do hate those scenes which have become kind of cliche where the world is collapsing around someone and they stay just 2 inches ahead of the disaster at all times for way too long. Kind of like The Day after Tomorrow where they're running from the sub freezing temperatures(come on) and Independance day where Vivica Fox is running from the destruction caused by the alien craft. I guess Roland Emmerich has a real glean in his eye for this kind of crap.

HR, put your cynic hat on the side please. This is not a screenwriting forum, and what we saw is fantastic CG work, probably the best so for for a disaster film. Let's celebrate it, at least for a moment, before dismissing it as another cr*p movie.

Cageman
10-06-2009, 03:17 PM

Congrats! :)

Did you work on it as well, or were you busy with other things at DD maybe?

:)

Cageman
10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
The effects look awesome, and I will probably see it for that reason alone. but............ I don't have very high expectations for it to actually be a good piece of cinema.

I try to support all movies that have some serious VFX in it. Maybe not for the story, plot etc... but for the fact that I know that people like me are working their asses of regarding the VFX.

On a more serious note... Lets face it... if people would not want to watch these kinds of rollercoaster movies, many of us would be out of work, so lets support our fellow CG-artists!

:)

kosmodave
10-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Just WOW.................:thumbsup:

Dave

hrgiger
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
HR, put your cynic hat on the side please. This is not a screenwriting forum, and what we saw is fantastic CG work, probably the best so for for a disaster film. Let's celebrate it, at least for a moment, before dismissing it as another cr*p movie.

My cynic hat cannot be removed. And I already acknowledged that this is some of the best CG I've seen. Sometimes you just wish for good CG and a good movie. You seldom have both.
What's the difference anyway? Hollywood is going to get my $9.

erikals
10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Looks Great! :)

erikals
10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
My post number 3012.... Ooooo!!! http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/aiwebs_001.gif

Cageman
10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
And mine is 4024... it must mean something, eh? ;)

Nangleator
10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Heh. Love the comment, "bull*** this video is fake that's just all some special effects nt though"

Good gravy, there's so much stupidity in the world.

probiner
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Guys guys guys.... One question?

Where are they going to land? Let me guess a desert island that escaped from all that destruction...

Nangleator
10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Silly question, probiner. They don't land planes in movies. They crash land them!

Red_Oddity
10-08-2009, 10:26 AM

This will be the surprise hit comedy of the year.

Can i ask something?

Did you guys use Cebas' VolumeBreaker? Or Rayfire?
If so, any comments on how well it performed and how well simulations went?

Mr Rid
11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I know Thinking Particles, and Final render was used for the L.A. earthquake sequence.

But how do you top this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAFQcEnUxhs

Nangleator
11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
But how do you top this?
Dang, that model work was unbelievable.

Those earthquakes probably about 30 on the Richter scale. Like maybe something the size of the moon passed within the Roche limit.