PDA

View Full Version : FPrime look-a-like

erikals
10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
FPrime look-a-like

http://www.artvps.com/content/shaderlight/what-is-shaderlight

hrgiger
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok, this is the second time in a week or so that someone has pointed to a progressive renderer that boasts itself as revolutionary and it's going to change the way 3D artists work. Are these people living in a Cave? How long has Fprime been around?

prometheus
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Ok, this is the second time in a week or so that someone has pointed to a progressive renderer that boasts itself as revolutionary and it's going to change the way 3D artists work. Are these people living in a Cave? How long has Fprime been around?

yeah..that can be a little annoying when things arent marketing themself in a truthful way.

It would probably be fully correct if it was stated like this" revolutionary for 3d max artists"

I would say that Modo“s ipr are way more revolutionary,And it“s integrated in the core system not as a plugin, the same goes for Houdini“s
new IPR wich also handles fluids.

The unanswered question now would be,shaderlight..how fast compared to fprime,modo,houdini is it?
how well intergrated is it, what will work with it, all types of light, volumetrics etc?

Michael

erikals
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
afaik though, Modo only has a previewer, not a render,...

gristle
10-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I have been following Shaderlight for a while now, it has some very useful features well beyond Fprime. You can change certain things in a scene without re-rendering the image, like textures, materials etc... not 100% sure what is covered by this.

Of course, this might be just a good marketing job on their behalf because I don't have Max :) and cannot try it out.

Matt
10-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I bet Worley is regretting the decision not to have made FPrime for multiple apps way back when! Could have cornered the market .... cold.

;)

archijam
10-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I bet Worley is regretting the decision not to have made FPrime for multiple apps way back when! Could have cornered the market .... cold.

we all know that Worley is the Wonka of 3D. Wonka knows no regrets..

Riff_Masteroff
10-06-2009, 02:04 PM
maybe LWCAD for Autodesk 3dsmax becomes, what?, maxcad?
Riff: sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut.

JeffrySG
10-06-2009, 02:05 PM
It is pretty cool how you can update surfaces and textures without having to rerender.

biliousfrog
10-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Weren't ArtVPS producing realtime raytracing cards years ago or was that someone else?

Nemoid
10-07-2009, 03:48 AM
It would be awesome having something like this built in within CORE, as it happens in Modo, for example, maybe an extension of what F prime is capable doing. but not as an external plugin.
Should be built in, to see all things within the scene.

Possibility to change things like materials, textures and more with a instant feedback is actually great. Is it It would be awesome to know how it works with G.I. into a heavy scene tho, just because performance could slow down. :agree:

cresshead
10-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Weren't ArtVPS producing realtime raytracing cards years ago or was that someone else?

yeah ART was doing this back in 1999...5 years before fprime, they had that renderpipe hardware based around rendermen.

biliousfrog
10-07-2009, 07:19 AM
yeah ART was doing this back in 1999...5 years before fprime, they had that renderpipe hardware based around rendermen.

I thought so. I forgot that it was also a hardware device, a huge PCI card with loads of processors on it if I remember correctly. There seemed to be a few similar realtime or certainly accelerated rendering solutions at the time for Max and engineering/CAD platforms. I don't deny that FPrime is something special but there were some pretty clever things happening long before it appeared. I'm actually very surprised that non of those early renderers have matured, probably because they were so expensive and aimed at the wrong markets.

Lightwolf
10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Then again... Steve Worleys standalone framework for rendering his Essence textures (which were for Imagine3D) already included a progressive renderer as well ;)

And that was when, late 80ies, early 90ies?

I'm pretty sure there's earlier examples of the idea though.

Cheers,
Mike

monovich
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
we all know that Worley is the Wonka of 3D. Wonka knows no regrets..

haha! so true.

cresshead
10-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought so. I forgot that it was also a hardware device, a huge PCI card with loads of processors on it if I remember correctly. There seemed to be a few similar realtime or certainly accelerated rendering solutions at the time for Max and engineering/CAD platforms. I don't deny that FPrime is something special but there were some pretty clever things happening long before it appeared. I'm actually very surprised that non of those early renderers have matured, probably because they were so expensive and aimed at the wrong markets.

the first versions were stand alone 3U rack for £18K...connected via lan i believe
then they did a renderpipe chip on a pci/agp card for around £2.5k but still have a 3U rack version as well...

Intuition
10-10-2009, 09:38 AM
There is one previewer for Maya called Holomatix, which works pretty well as a mental ray previewer.

http://www.holomatix.com/products/rendition/about/

Its a little bit crashy in high poly count scenes though. I was testing the 64bit version.

There is also a new previewer coming for Maya called Furry Ball which is a GPU renderer. It is also a final render engine.

http://furryball.aaa-studio.cz/

I hope there will be something like this in Core eventually.

Not to get my hopes up or anything, just sayin.

erikals
10-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Jay stated some time back that they will eventually look into GPU based rendering, but not now, in the future,.

AbnRanger
10-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, Max has had something like FPrime built in for some time, called ActiveShade...but it's very limited in comparison.

VRay has RT, which is pretty much an FPrime clone, but Cebas is due to release finalRender R3 (it's been a loooooooonnnnnggg wait) which has very few limitations...and provides real time volumetric effects render previews:
http://www.cebasusa.com/interactiverender/ir_andvol.wmv

The cool thing about this release is that it works with ANY post effect...not just it's own proprietary tools, and the SE version comes with PyroCluster among other things.

Many folks who own Max, Maya, and Softimage are awaiting IRay (Interactive Mental Ray), and Max will probably get it first, as it's release is in the 1st QTR (March). So, yeah, they're a little late to the show, but it's like a tidal wave of IPR's here or coming down the pike.