PDA

View Full Version : "3dmagix" beware...

LazyCoder
10-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Just thought I'd help spread the word about this Cody Landon bastard who basically just took Blender, a free open source piece of software, and rebranded it as "3dmagix", and is now selling it for the "bargain" of only $27. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if he had maybe programmed in some new features or something, or at the very minimum messed with the UI a bit, but no, this is EXACTLY how blender appears.

The website is plastered with OTHER people's artwork that he has not paid for or even asked permission to use, not just artwork created in Blender I might add. Just thought you all might want to check and make sure none of your stuff is up there either.

It's a sad world when people can con good people out of their hard earned cash...

OnlineRender
10-06-2009, 12:53 AM
cheers also looks like he ripped video copilot off at the same time .
quote ; No techinical skills needed " name 1 ,3d app you don't skill " and Mspaint dosn't count.

akademus
10-06-2009, 02:33 AM
He also seems to use other people arts (made in other software packages) for promotion.

I wonder if he is going to get his [email protected]@ sued for copyright infringement.

I know I wouldn't like to have my photo and name on that site!

biliousfrog
10-06-2009, 02:35 AM
To be fair, he isn't selling Blender, he's selling training material which comes with a copy of Blender to use.

archijam
10-06-2009, 02:43 AM
To be fair, he's pretty vague about that ;) ..

"Get 3Dmagix Complete 3D Creation Suite!"

Sounds like a software package to me .. you have to read the small print to see the separation.l

He does not make any difference between what he offers, and what is already there, for free.

StereoMike
10-06-2009, 02:47 AM
agree with Billiousfrog. Though he doesn't write "Blender Suite" all over his page, he doesn't hide that it's blender. He mentions it several times and screenshots/ captures aren't obscured either. In the end you pay the bucks for a kickstart with blender, what isn't that bad if you consider the awkward interface.

The usage of other peoples work is a different beast.

mike

cresshead
10-06-2009, 03:02 AM
this popped up on cgtalk in july/august this year, the guy is just collating free training videos available and open source software together into one 'package'.

it's free software and training videos but has had a price slapped on to make it a 'product'.

OnlineRender
10-06-2009, 03:11 AM
this popped up on cgtalk in july/august this year, the guy is just collating free training videos available and open source software together into one 'package'.

it's free software and training videos but has had a price slapped on to make it a 'product'.

Hmm still .... That would be like me gathering all the free speed models ,downloading the demo version of LW , then re-wrapping at as product and while I'm there I'll just use all the render images from Iain "cause there pretty " and then slap a price tag on for a low cost of 20 .

Morally wrong "yes " Legally Wrong " hmmmmm maybe not " I dont know the ins-and out so i cant comment , But if i was Andrew Kramer I would be kindly asking to change the video intro , no chance I personally would want my products associated with that .

PS out NOW :P

AdamAvenali
10-06-2009, 08:31 AM
this is my favorite part:

"Now YOU Can Create Professional 3D Animations, Games and Graphic Models
Like Pixar and Dreamworks Studios Easily In 2 Hours or Less... "

shrox
10-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Really? Man, I've wasted all these years...

Hieron
10-06-2009, 08:58 AM
To be fair, he isn't selling Blender, he's selling training material which comes with a copy of Blender to use.

It's not about what he is actually selling (could be a rock for all I care), it is about what he pretends to be selling. The site does not have a big header saying:

"3DMagix: training material which comes with a copy of Blender to use"

No, it says:
"Advanced 3D animation and graphics studio software"
"Announcing...." (as if it is new and brought by them)
"in 2 hours or less"

And he calls himself:
"Cody Landon
Software and Graphics Engineer
www.3DMagix.com"

As if he does serious software engineering himself and this is the result of that.

On the internet everything is possible, especially if you can't be tracked (no address and domain info is protected by WhoisGuard). Try to sell someone something like this door to door, you'd have the cops on your tail in no time at all. You'd be pretty backward to actually buy crap like that from a site like that but there's plenty that'll try. Pretty sad way to make money.

BigHache
10-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Comment WIN. :thumbsup:

AdamAvenali
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM

i know, right? i spent two hours this morning just painting a bump map and in that amount of time i could have been hired by pixar.

Hieron
10-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Why hired by Pixar if you're already on par with them, spend 2 more hours and dominate the market for years :)

OnlineRender
10-06-2009, 09:13 AM

Ye , if your Surname's Vaughan , it takes longer than that to export fluids .....muppet

AdamAvenali
10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Why hired by Pixar if you're already on par with them, spend 2 more hours and dominate the market for years :)

oh good call haha

shrox
10-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Two more hours and you'll be able to move the mouse with just your mind...

OnlineRender
10-06-2009, 09:23 AM
right im downloading this bad boy , I'll be back in 2 hours when pixar call me up , I'll say sure I learnt this in 1hr 59 minutes and rendered in 1 minute . .

the ironic thing is hes used VC fx pack " riotgear i think " to make his video , if he had 2 hrs spare he could have made a full animation ,

archijam
10-06-2009, 09:27 AM
"Over 370 Minutes of Video Tutorials Makes It Dead-Simple For Anyone To Get Started..."

370 - 2(60) * flux-capacitor = pixar

ps. 370 minutes! That's 22,200 seconds!

OnlineRender
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I had a look at the source code , now I'm not the best when it comes to HTML but damn its a mess , google tracker on it aswell .

"what are Blender saying about this ????"

I'll give him his due theres wads of info from him about 3D articles ,we could just get MEWTEK to twitter him ,would be funny

Liber777
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
it takes longer than that to export fluids ...

I've been known to export fluids rather quickly. I even exported fluids in short order a couple times today! (:

Chris S. (Fez)
10-06-2009, 02:58 PM
3dmagix is just super. Seriously, it's a steal.

JamesCurtis
10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'll bet it was at that!!

Wickster
10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
But...but...it has testimonials. Those people must be working for PIXAR, right?

jasonwestmas
10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Reminds me of the bums on the street that try to sell me free newspapers. LOL, what a joke this guy is.

OnlineRender
10-07-2009, 03:58 AM
http://www.blendernation.com/3dmagix-re-branding-and-selling-the-free-software-blender/

there going nuts over there , I can't physically do anything , hes not an artist , more a smart ha!ker , the whois is protected , and theres no data from him other than wads of articles ,claiming to be the best software "which is true in a way " . . also dont click on his web page , unless ur IP's spoofed , something is a-miss .............

edit i did find his alias Twitter / facebook accounts ....

biliousfrog
10-07-2009, 05:03 AM
Create 3D Animations Easily and Download 3D Computer Animation Software With Video Training + Tutorials - Graphic Games Creation Program - Free Animation Software

http://www.blendernation.com/3dmagix-re-branding-and-selling-the-free-software-blender/

If possible, can the OP add some relevant tags to this thread to help with SEO? Despite Blendernations attempts, the 3dMagix site is still at the top of google, perhaps we can change that with some clever SEO techniques.

The 3DMagix source code shows the keywords to be 3d animation,free 3d animation,computer animation,studio,software,program,free,3d max,character,download,stop motion,videos,tutorials,training,character animation,learn.

Maybe blatantly copying some of the home pages rediculous text which also uses a lot of common 3d search terms such as:

Announcing: The Revolutionary 3D Software That Has Helped 6,100 People In 67 Countries Create Cutting-Edge Animations From The Comfort Of Their Own Home...
" Now YOU Can Create Professional 3D Animations, Games and Graphic Models
Like Pixar and Dreamworks Studios
Easily In 2 Hours or Less... "

and

Discover The Complete 3D Animation, Graphics & Games
Suite That Will Allow YOU To Create Cutting-Edge Animations
Like Pixar Easily and Quickly... For Less Than A Steak Dinner!

and certainly don't forget classics like:

Dear Friend,

Have you always wanted to create your own animations or 3D Games?

What if I told you that you can produce animations and models like Pixar or Walt Disney easily and quickly from the comfort of your home.... with the same software that leading European studios are using.

The good news is there's a sea change is sweeping across the animation industry, transforming thousands of lives and home studios and it lies...in a powerful software that allows the 'little guy' to make...
BEAUTIFUL Animations With Minimum Effort...

Listen carefuly: If you're after a professional 3D software that will allow you to create cutting-edge 3D animations, movies or games easily and cannot afford big name software like Maya or 3D Max, then this might just be the most important letter you will ever read.
“ Producing 3D Animations & Graphics
Have Never Been THIS EASY... ”
character animation tutorialHere is what you should know:

Creating 3D animations can be a time consuming endeavor and demanded that you spend thousands of dollars purchasing high-end studio software.

As a matter of fact, you needed hours and hours of time and most people, whether you are a professional or you're just starting out, don't have that kind of money to devote to high-end studio animation software.

But thats all about to change....

So to answer this question, and the cries of people just like you, I present to you...
Complete 3D Creation Software Suite &
3DMagix Video Training Package
"Easily The Most Powerful 3D Creation Software On The Planet!"
Download 3D Computer Animation Software and Videos
Let Your Imagination Come Alive With 3DMagix - The Easiest
Way To Create Professional Looking 3D Models and Animations...

Blender is the Industry-Leading 3D Modelling / Animation / Game Design Software Used By Animation Studios and Home Users Worldwide

Create Broadcast Quality 3D Content, High Quality Modelling, 3D Figure Design and Animation, Rendering, Post-production, Real-time Interactive 3D and Games Creation with Live Playback.

3DMagix is The Complete 250+ Pages Of Illustrated Tutorials and 20 Step-by-Step Free Animation Software Video Training. Over 370 Minutes of Video Tutorials Makes It Dead-Simple For Anyone To Get Started...

Can Be Used For Professional Branded Advertisements to High End Animated Game Characters and Environments.

Powerful All-In-One Integrated 3D Creation Software and Advanced Animation System with Full Range of Tools for High End 3D-production

Delivered in a Professional 700 megabytes CD (one-click install) with Full Source Code and License. You Don't Have to Meddle With Huge Downloads.

Works With Multiple File Types - Supports 3D Studio, Lightwave Formats and Many More & Compatible With Windows and Mac.
“ Get The SAME Software That Leading
Animation Studios Are Using! ”

3d models 3d render character animationWhat you're getting is an advanced animation software and a full featured integrated modelling, rendering, motion enabled, animation and real-time 3D game creation package. And it gets even better because...
This hi-end software suite allows you to:

* Create high quality 3D graphics
* Produce your own professional animated film
* Draw and animate 3D models of any kind.
* Design your own 3D game easily
* Create real-time, interactive 3D content.
* Creating and render exceptionally rich & realistic natural environments.

What's more, over the last decade, Blender has evolved as an in-house tool for leading European animation studios. This is your chance to get your hands on a professional hi-end 3D creation program without paying an arm and a leg.

With Blender & 3DMagix™ video tutorials, you can weave your own web of magic. You DO NOT need to attend expensive courses or have any experience to use this. You will be able to produce "hollywood" 3D computer animations and models like movie studios quicker and easier than you've ever dreamed of.

Sounds good? I'm not even halfway through yet!
“ If You Think Maya or 3D Max is Good,
You Ain't See Nothing Yet! ”

3d studios max animation downloadLet me lay it out for you: this is a complete solution for high end 3D-production at an unprecedented price.

It has a robust feature set similar in scope and depth to other high-end 3D software such as SoftimageXSI, Cinema 4D, 3Ds Max and Maya.

Get the best of both worlds in 1 software - It combines the aritechtural power of 3D Studios Max and Animation Effects of Maya

These features include advanced simulation tools such as rigid body dynamics, fluid dynamics, and softbody dynamics, stop motion animation, modifier based modeling tools, powerful character animation tools, a node based material and compositing system and Python for embedded scripting.

Even better, you can also create dynamic 3D models by RTS animation so models can move back-and-forth, float, or rotate. It also offers professional CG artists a complete toolset for creating and rendering exceptionally rich and realistic natural environments.

Here is a brief overview of some features:

Industry Leading 3D Animator and Model Software
Compatible with Maya, 3Ds Max, XSI & LightWave 3D & More
3D Figure Design and Animation
Production Quality Results
Advanced Animation System
Supports Layered PSD Files

What's more, Blender introduces global illumination, multi-wavelength ray-traycing for accurate spectral caustics and other optical effects, sub-surface scattering for realistic human skin shading.
animation download and tutorial 3D graphics“ Learn EXACTLY How To Create Your First Animated Model With Software & Video Training ”

3DMagix & Blender contains the software, a complete 250+ page illustrated digital manual, tutorials, and over 8 hours of video training, tutorials and examples

It is an all-in-one 3D creation program suite that is suitable for both beginners and experts. In fact, you will be able to create your first animation model within 53 mins even if you've no experience...

But more importantly, you too can create professional looking 3D objects, add animation, and use a wide range of 3D effects like professional studios without paying for expensive software...

It can be used for modeling, UV unwrapping, texturing, rigging, skinning, animating, rendering, particle and other simulating, non-linear editing, compositing, and creating interactive 3D applications.

As I have already said, this suite is just as advanced as 3D Max & Maya, however the best way to demonstrate it's abilities is through some pictures and videos of real editing work. Take a look at the features and videos below:
Hold on to your seat and keep reading because here's
an in-depth look of 9 amazing features of Blender...

Of course it is always worth linking to the relevant pages like this:

Create 3D Animations Easily and Download 3D Computer Animation Software With Video Training + Tutorials - Graphic Games Creation Program - Free Animation Software (http://www.blendernation.com/3dmagix-re-branding-and-selling-the-free-software-blender/#comment-487153)

3DMagix Rebranding and selling the free software Blender (http://www.blendernation.com/3dmagix-re-branding-and-selling-the-free-software-blender/)

Blender (http://www.blender.org/)

OnlineRender
10-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Worth the ban hes from your neighbourhood NT

server www.theplanet.com

IP: 74.52.58.242
IP Location: Houston, United States
Website Status: active
Server Type: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

I uploaded a text doc to his ftp :: lets see if that catches his attention , i cant change any content " well i could" but that would make just like him

probiner
10-07-2009, 05:28 AM
Lol his photo looks like stock :D

http://www.magix.com/us/?partnerid=9015 Magix sotware. They must be both pissed and happy with this, ehehe

OnlineRender
10-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Stop going on his site , dont give him the hits / your ip .........

biliousfrog
10-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Worth the ban hes from your neighbourhood NT

server www.theplanet.com

IP: 74.52.58.242
IP Location: Houston, United States
Website Status: active
Server Type: Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.8i DAV/2 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

I uploaded a text doc to his ftp :: lets see if that catches his attention , i cant change any content " well i could" but that would make just like him

The server company is based in Houston, from the posts on Blender Nation by people that actually bought the 3dmagix stuff he/they would appear to be based in Malaysia...I'm guessing that the guys photo isn't real

OnlineRender
10-07-2009, 05:54 AM
You really don't think so? Next you'll be telling me that his name isn't Cody Landon... :D

it probably means this ::::::::: And Doc Only or Add Con Only

anagrams are great fun

probiner
10-07-2009, 06:12 AM
No, it comes from....

Coding Land...

thats why its good =)

biliousfrog
10-07-2009, 06:55 AM
You really don't think so? Next you'll be telling me that his name isn't Cody Landon... :D

It was Mike Hunt on the original site so no, I doubt that it is his real name ;)

OnlineRender
10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
It was Mike Hunt on the original site so no, I doubt that it is his real name ;)

you mean

Time Hunk :D

LazyCoder
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
What'd be really funny is if someone was to mass-pirate the '3dmagix' software and give it away for free, see how he likes it.

OnlineRender
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
What'd be really funny is if someone was to mass-pirate the '3dmagix' software and give it away for free, see how he likes it.

Technically that's already been done .............

Matt
10-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I HATE people like this, scammers are the scum of the earth.

TheDynamo
10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
But if i was Andrew Kramer I would be kindly asking to change the video intro , no chance I personally would want my products associated with that .

After watching the video, I don't Andrew has anything to worry about. That's pretty shoddy AE work.

-Rob

probiner
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Find the diferences :D

http://www.illusionmage.com/

http://www.3dmagixpro.com/

jasonwestmas
02-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Man what a weenie. :D

probiner
02-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Testimonials in the bottom of the page are fun to watch too.

3D Magix
"3D building... how to animate a building... If you are the constructional or architectural industry... anything, anything can be animated"
That one made laugh without control while i am typing this...

"I'm having a good time, i'm having a good time making some animation as you can see here." (points to a Mac screen... with the 3dmagix website on...)

On the other site, three of them talk directly to 'Seth Avery'... the author, that completely looks like stock photo...

I just hope not many ppl fall for this.

kopperdrake
02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
And so it goes...

:2guns:

Sarford
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Over 370 Minutes of Video Tutorials...

Over 6 HOURS Of Video Training

...over 8 hours of video training, tutorials and examples

Plus 300 hours of videos and tutorials included with IllusionMage.

I'm a bit confused on the total hours of video training I'll get...