PDA

View Full Version : Newtek folders?

pdp editor
10-03-2009, 04:16 PM
I was cleaning up my computer the other day and discovered that LW stores thumb nails of every image, video, web page, screen shot, program I ever opened in thousands of my folders. my photo folder- I'm a photographer- had over 600'000 of these LW generated images.

these files are so small and conveniently located that if a hacker got on to my machine he will hit the biggest jackpot ever. My total history conveniently packaged and ready for download. How can I turn this hostile feature OFF!?

I'm deleting them folder by folder and my count is over 10 million thus far;
WTF!

R.Feeney
10-03-2009, 04:34 PM
That seems rather odd, I have never experienced Lightwave doing anything like this.
Are you sure LW is the culprit?

pdp editor
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
here is a better screen shot with the file I believe LW generates. since this is a "File0032.JPG.NewTekInfo" file it cant be uploaded

R.Feeney
10-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Do you by any chance have a videotoster, from what I found it is related to that
http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/read.cgi?11956
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32359

Or speededit may do something like that too.

Hieron
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm deleting them folder by folder and my count is over 10 million thus far;
WTF!

Feeney seems to have answered what they are..
Why don't you just do a systemwide search for those filename extensions and delete them in 1 go? Not like those extensions are very common for anything other :)

pdp editor
10-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I dont have videotoster and I remember seeing a thread about these somewhere here but I cant find it. There are so many of these files my computer locks up for hours. I'm letting it run at night while I sleep.

R.Feeney
10-03-2009, 06:15 PM
The only referance to this in relation to lightwave that I can find is
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34920
And it turned out to be Video Toaster related so its not much help to you.

outside of Speed Edit or the Video Toaster I didn't see any reference to this anywhere else.
Sorry and good luck with sorting it out.

dwburman
10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Have you ever used the 'VBFileRequestor' instead of the 'default' system file requestor?

pdp editor
10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Have you ever used the 'VBFileRequestor' instead of the 'default' system file requestor?

I do not know what this is can it be used as a worm?

pdp editor
10-03-2009, 08:17 PM
The only referance to this in relation to lightwave that I can find is
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34920
And it turned out to be Video Toaster related so its not much help to you.

outside of Speed Edit or the Video Toaster I didn't see any reference to this anywhere else.
Sorry and good luck with sorting it out.

well I have SE could that be the cause?

Silkrooster
10-03-2009, 10:08 PM
well I have SE could that be the cause?

Yes Speed edit will create files like those. Usually it will create a hidden folder in a directory where you were accessing SE. Not sure and haven't tried it but it may be generating the folders while browsing inside of SE. But I would more than likely believe that it create the folder when you access a file.
The hidden folder is called Newtek Info and can be empty. Doing a search for those folders and deleting them in one shot should help.

pdp editor
10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Well at least now I know the program to blame. Strange thing is, alot of my image folders I never open in SE. Yet It generates folders for all of them; Including alot of my MOV tut movies I buy and watch from Splinegod. I have purchased quite a few of them lately; and there are folders for every time I watched them.

Silkrooster
10-03-2009, 10:32 PM
It shouldn't generate the folder unless you were viewing those mov files inside of SE. To my knowledge SE doesn't have a background process running when SE is not loaded.

Edit:Go though processes and see if there is anything listed for SE.

Start>Run>msconfig.exe

Check the services tab and the startup tab. Even though it is possible to disable from this program, I believe it is best to physically take care of the issue, but that may require being comfortable with regedit and administrative tools.

OnlineRender
10-04-2009, 01:21 AM
try CC cleaner "free" or Evidence Elimanitor ,just be carefull when removing temp / registry files for the obv reasons also try looking

c:\user\YourCPname\Appdata\ windows thought it would be nice to back everything up for speed purposes except it slows your pc down in the end and uses wads of space , have a gander in that extra hidden folder you need to manualy type it in the address bar even having display hidden folder switched on it remains hidden , I had over 30 gig worth of temp directories and so on .

Peace

dwburman
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I do not know what this is can it be used as a worm?

It's just an alternate file requestor to the normal windows or mac file requestor. You pick it in the general options in layout (hit 'o'). I don't use it but I was thinking it was similar to the file requestor in Aura that made thumbnail images, but I just looked at it and it wasn't what I thought it was. I highly doubt it could be used as a worm and even if it could the number of people who have it is so small, I don't think anyone would bother writing one.

Red_Oddity
10-05-2009, 02:29 AM
Try this in a .bat file.

This is what it does

line 2: This is the drive it is going to scan
line 3: This is the root directory from where it will scan recursively
line 4: This command searches for any hidden directories named ".Newtek" and will then delete that directory tree

echo off
C:
CD \
FOR /F %G IN ('dir /B /ADH /S .Newtek') DO RD /S/Q %G

Red_Oddity
10-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Also, you can delete windows search results as well, not sure why you would have to delete them one by one by hand.

pdp editor
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Also, you can delete windows search results as well, not sure why you would have to delete them one by one by hand.

I have been using windows search to find them there are just so many folders/files it locks up, but not for longer than a few minutes, then I select a few of them _control a for all would cause a reboot- I right click to find out how many are selected then delete them. I've been doing this for two weeks usually at night.