PDA

View Full Version : the front projected man - Lui Bolin

Mr Rid
10-03-2009, 03:39 PM

"The talented Liu Bolin says his art is a protest against the actions of the Government, who shut down his art studio in 2005 and persecutes artists. It’s about not fitting into modern society. Despite problems with Chinese authorities, Liu’s works are appreciated at an international level."

cresshead
10-03-2009, 05:48 PM
very cool!

erikals
10-04-2009, 04:31 AM
the very first picture (in the first picture) is incredible :)

biliousfrog
10-04-2009, 05:18 AM
the very first picture (in the first picture) is incredible :)

Yes, it took me quite some time to spot him in that one

Shawn Farrell
10-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Do you need help?? Promoting??:thumbsup:

Mr Rid
10-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Do you need help?? Promoting??:thumbsup:

Who, what are you asking about?

prometheus
10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I think I know why the chinese government are on to him, it looks like
some serious cloaking or camoflage technology here, almost in a predator style:)

Im sure this is a techology that will show up(or not) very soon on soldiers,tanks and other military weapons.

harry p has it and I want one too..
an invisible sheet..or letīs say a sheet with millions of camera and display cells picking up the background and displayed at a potentional enemy viewers point of view.

I wouldnīt think of sneaking in a ladies locker room thou:)
anyone thinking that I would, is only front projectioning their own thoughts.

Michael.

h2oStudios
10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Let me get this straight. He uses 3d models with front projection of images? Or he's actually in the photos? My browser makes it difficult to determine. Otherwise rather clever artwork. By the way, technology is in development of suits that do this kind of thing in real life. I read a Pop-Sci mag maybe 2 years ago describing the theory behind it and anticipation of the real thing in a few years. It's crazy that his government is trying to supress him for whatever their reason. Best wishes to Liu Bolin in his persuit of artistic freedom, or freedom of living in general. Everyone should be able to express their voice as it is, so long as it's sincere, genuine, and doesn't directly cause any personal harm. But if it does have to "stick it to the man" then so be it, art has always been known to change things.

Best wishes to Liu Bolin.

And thanks, Mr Rid, for posting this here as I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon this guy.

Kajetan Kulpinski

Mr Rid
10-05-2009, 01:14 AM
...so long as it's sincere, genuine, and doesn't directly cause any personal harm. ...
Kajetan Kulpinski

There is no defining art, or what is genuine or sincere, or what is funny or scary or moral, etc. And some people enjoy being harmed. 'Harmed against their will' might be a better way to put it. There is only art that you like or dont like. If your art is strongly disliked by people with guns then you have a dilemma. I think Bolin makes a brilliant political reply while remaining benign.

erikals
10-05-2009, 01:35 AM
"art" imo is design of some sort that affects the senses, is human made, made to give the audience a feeling, any feeling.

so, pretty wide aspect, and all art doesn't talk to all ppl to the same degree.

Mr Rid
10-05-2009, 01:50 AM
"art" imo is design of some sort that affects the senses, is human made, made to give the audience a feeling, any feeling.

So taking a dump on the floor can be art.

The only definition of art I ever agreed with was in a dictionary I used to have- "anything that can be done."

erikals
10-05-2009, 01:56 AM
yes, pretty much.

Mr Rid
10-05-2009, 02:22 AM
I miss Joe Battle's infamous 'art' thread that was removed, then continued in the 'Battle over Art' -
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72552&highlight=art

h2oStudios
10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
There is no defining art, or what is genuine or sincere, or what is funny or scary or moral, etc. And some people enjoy being harmed. 'Harmed against their will' might be a better way to put it. There is only art that you like or dont like. If your art is strongly disliked by people with guns then you have a dilemma. I think Bolin makes a brilliant political reply while remaining benign.

The only definition of art I ever agreed with was in a dictionary I used to have- "anything that can be done."

I guess what would have been more appropriate for me to say is don't go around stabbing people in the eyes with paint brushes and call that art.

And yes, as scatological as it is, taking a dump on the floor can be considered art. Andy Warhol (even though not my fav "artist") experimented with urine as oxidization art.

As for the definition of art that you provided, Mr.Rid, that's quite true. But then it may always dive into the question of whether Art imitates life, or life imitates art. I would agree with the latter (my personal opinion of course).

Lui Bolin probably is more effective remaining benign (who knows?), as opposed to ending up a martyr.

Cageman
10-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Yeah... like this girl!

http://intermaweb.net/index.php/2005/10/29/world-record-4-peristaltic-action/

:D

erikals
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
...i WAS about to eat.

geothefaust
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah... like this girl!

http://intermaweb.net/index.php/2005/10/29/world-record-4-peristaltic-action/

:D

That is super awesome!! lol

I was hoping to watch that animated gif, but the link was broken. Doh...