PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my first Alienware Notebook !

OnlineRender
10-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Been saving up my cash for a new gadget .
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Laptops/alienware-m15x/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-m15x&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

Ok its still a Dell ,but I sooooo needed one plus I wanted the cool back-pack hence why I never got a desktop :) but it's beast and looks wicked .

Philbert
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
It looks like a Cylon. :) I like the look of Alienware, but I understand a lot of what you're paying for is the look and the name.

Dexter2999
10-04-2009, 11:53 PM
A DJ I work with just plunked down $5K for a tricked out Alienware with dual Nvidia cards and a Terrabyte of RAID storage for doing mobile VJ gigs.

Thing smokes my desktop...but then again he paid more than five times what I paid as well.

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 01:37 AM
I went for the mid price range ,they can go upto silly amounts , your absoulety right " you do pay for the looks " i could have got an absoulte spanking desktop for the same price . "but you just don't get the same impact when you bring this bad-boy out its personal back-pack " .

people go ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it has the x-factor :)

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Man... I would LOVE to have your wallet. Lightwave... Max.... new notebook computer....

my wallet is now sadly empty ,my wife gave me some cash for my birthday "easier " every year a set money aside for deprecation in equipment / software .

even all my x-mas shopping is all done :) yeeeeeeee if i don't budget i get shafted for the rest of the year .......

cresshead
10-05-2009, 03:12 AM
quadcore laptop!...and cylon themed too...frakking awesome!
...what do you hear?
...nothin but the rain sir....

oh and apple laggin soooo far behind...dual core imac's...dual core laptops...so 2007!
still...apparently oct 9th might see an update to the imac...
knowing them it will be 'thin'....just hope it's not THIN on SPECS!

JohnMarchant
10-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Its very expensive for what it is. Well you are paying for the name and the fact that Dell now own them. Hope it goes like a rocket for that price.

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
It was more for tax purposes :) , I never added on any of the xtras ,I started to but the price kept goingup massive , so i backed down and just went with the standard unit . but its beast , do you know you can claim your pet food "dog " aswell !

RollerJesus
10-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I hope you have better luck than I did with my Alienware laptop (5150). It worked great when I got it but I soon had heat issues, particularly with the video card. Alienware replaced the video card under my service agreement but it went south again 4 months later and they wouldn't cover it, and they wouldn't even sell me another one.

I finally convinced them to sell me an ATI card that would fit but it really sucks overall. Lightwave runs ok with light models but I don't render on it due to the heat issues, I can't run any games with full screen shaders. Heck, some 2d games even run like crap.

How did the heat issues start you may ask... overnight Lightwave renders. Just say no! :)

I'm sure they've worked out those issues with the new model, so I'm quite envious as it was a really nice machine with the right video card. I hope you enjoy it!

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 09:21 AM
this is what i wanted but never had the guts / cash . its the top end version

:P COLOUR CHOICE Alienware M15x Cosmic Black edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 920XM (2.00Ghz, 8MB L3 cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista SP1™ Ultimate (64 BIT) - English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office 2007 Small Business - English edit
HARDWARE SUPPORT 4 Year Premium Warranty Support edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Centre 10 (36 month subscription) edit
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT 4Yr Accidental Damage Support edit
LCD 15.6-inch Wide Full HD Display (1920x1080) edit
MEMORY 4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048] edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive edit
GRAPHICS CARD 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX260M graphics card edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Blu-Ray RW (Blu-Ray, DVD and CD read & WRITE) Slot Load Drive edit
PRIMARY BATTERY 9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion battery edit
Accessories
MONITORS & DOCKING 23in SP2309W UK&I Black Widescreen Performance (2048 x 1152) DVI-D edit
WALLPAPERS Alienware 3D Wallpaper edit
BLUETOOTH Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module edit
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® WiFi Link 5300 a/g/n Wireless LAN card edit
Services & Software
Also included with your system
Gedis Bundle Reference N10W1501
Order Information Alienware M15x Order - UK
Shipping Documents English Documentation
Dell System Media Kit Alienware M15x Resource DVD
Power Supply 150W AC Adaptor
Cables UK 220V Power Cord
Keyboard Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Standard Warranty 1 Year Premium Warranty Support
AutoMatic Updates AutoMatic updates - On
Hidden NamePlate Engraving Generic Name Plate Engraving

PRICE : £3,619 so not worth that ........

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I hope you have better luck than I did with my Alienware laptop (5150). It worked great when I got it but I soon had heat issues, particularly with the video card. Alienware replaced the video card under my service agreement but it went south again 4 months later and they wouldn't cover it, and they wouldn't even sell me another one.

I finally convinced them to sell me an ATI card that would fit but it really sucks overall. Lightwave runs ok with light models but I don't render on it due to the heat issues, I can't run any games with full screen shaders. Heck, some 2d games even run like crap.

How did the heat issues start you may ask... overnight Lightwave renders. Just say no! :)

I'm sure they've worked out those issues with the new model, so I'm quite envious as it was a really nice machine with the right video card. I hope you enjoy it!

dont say that ! one of the reasons i got it was because my toshiba is having mega overheating problems , that bad my daughter burnt her hand on the side of the machine "MEGA HOT " its been to toshiba and the replaced , every single part , it would have been cheaper to send me out a new one , never again I'm buying a toshiba laptop <edit originally I bought another version of laptop but i had some dead pixels , THIS is what the guy in pc world said ,made me mad " Usually you cant bring them back if it has dead pixels , you need 3 or more " mines had 2 ........... i went nuts .................

AdamAvenali
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM
dont say that...toshiba laptop

i melted a toshiba satellite motherboard by rendering on it wayyy too much (but it was the only computer i had at school) haha then basically sold it on ebay for parts (lcd, body, etc.). i'm currently running an Asus G1S-B2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220256). it does what it is supposed to considering it's meant to be mobile. it plays crysis and cod4 just fine, just not on the highest 1680x1050 resolution.

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I dont run anything thats heavy on the proccessor , more for email / net . all work releated stuff is on the offline machine . might do the same and ebay it , still a decent machine . .

AMD Turion 64*2 mobile technology 1.9o ghz
3 gig ram , 250 HD .

can run most apps .

Philbert
10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm still using the HP Pavilian I bought almost 2 years ago, but I pretty much bought it with "the works", 17" screen, HD-DVD drive (seemed like a good idea at the time), Core 2 duo 1.5GHz, 2GB ram, 2x 150GB HDDs, GeForce 8600M GS. I'd like to upgrade the RAM and found that it's really cheap, but unfortunately at the moment I can't even afford "really cheap". Maybe if I get one of these gigs that are lining up.

COBRASoft
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Very nice laptop, but I like my new Quad-core too (see signature).

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Very nice laptop, but I like my new Quad-core too (see signature).

Ye ive seen that , hence why I need to keep up with the big boys ,even though your machine would leave it for dust , but does yours have evil light up eyes " Evil laugh time ..........

COBRASoft
10-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I have to take mine to my customers, so it has to be a little friendly. It has blue and red lights though (colors of our company logo) :)

ted
10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
I got my Alienware a couple years back. I'm sure I paid a premium for the cool lit eyes and name, but they were the only ones that could get exactly what I needed in the timeframe I needed.
Still rock solid and still cool. :thumbsup: