PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Toast

Lew
08-29-2003, 07:19 AM
Just a question,
I've had VT3 freeze up two times now in less than a week. It won't open after task manager shuts it down.
On top of that, the install disk won't uninstall, won't reinstall, and won't repair. The only option is manually delete everthing. On the plus side, I'm getting a lot of good experience with regedit, however that's not what I get paid for.

Anyone else having this problem? Could it be something I'm doing? Basically using the system like I did the T2, haven't had time to check out many new feathers, too busy reloading.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Lew:confused:

Paul Lara
08-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Lew,
Screen lockups can be be caused by corrupt graphics card drivers. Are you running the latest nvidia reference drivers?

Lew
08-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the fast answer Paul,

Well this is getting serious, can't work more than 15 ro 20 minutes without everything starting to stutter. When I get that, a red text message on toaster vision says "No video signal Potential Driver Lockup" It's a P4 2.8 HT system with each side of the CPU showing 40 to 80 % usage when that happens. Nothing difficult, just RTV clips with a few crossfades.
As a test, tried three layers with overlay on, played that just fine.

The video card is a Elsa Synergy III and the drivers installed are NVIDIA 4.3.5.1 dated 4/2/2003.

Tried downloading drivers from Elsa, but could not get twin view to work with those drivers, they kept seeing the card as a Quartro and the VT would not span the two monitors.

The system worked fine for a few days, is it possible the drivers have become corrupted?

Lew
08-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Still working with drivers!

Anyone using a elsa synergy III with two monitors? If so, what drivers are you using?

Any help appreciated. The new NVIDIA drivers work, but they've taken TwinView out of the package so the VT desktop only appears on one monitor. It's workable but not neat.

Lew

CynthiaR
08-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Lew,

We have also had trouble with install/uninstall. We started with VT2, and the upgrade to VT3 went fine except for a bad spot on one of the DVE CD's.

After playing with the system for a few hours, trying out the switcher, character generator, etc. we noticed that the cross fade effect was not to be found.

An attempted reload of the software gave errors such as DLL's that could not be unregistered and so forth. Uninstalls would not complete properly. Repair did not help either. Once installed the Toaster would not start.

The problem is now in the hands of the dealer.

-Cindy

Lew
08-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Hi Cindy,
Sorry you're trapped in can't go forward or back mode. Wouldn't wish that on a dog. Actually I like dogs just fine.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of on my own as it would take a day to deliver it to the dealer and get back with it.

I got the driver thing settled, and if anyone else is having the same problem, let me know and I'll be glad to explain how we got it to work.

Say, we're having fun now!
Lew:D

UnCommonGrafx
08-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Not having problems but I have that card.

What did you end up doing? Is it a new version of the driver that fixed things for you? I've a feeling mine could use a 'fresh' set of drivers. ;)

Versions say 5.12.01.0649

Glad to see you up and running.

Paul Lara
08-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Lew
I got the driver thing settled...

Say, we're having fun now!

Lew,
Please fill me in on how you corrected it.
I will add it to the troubleshooting database for the benefit of others.

Lew
09-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Sorry Paul, I've been away for a couple of days, and it looks like I spoke too soon anyway.
Started getting the "Potential Driver Lockup" message again this afternoon. Seems like I have to reboot about once an hour. Interesting, the VTvision starts to stutter first, even though the program monitor output still looks OK. Then every thing goes downhill.
Also, a couple of times I've gotten the message, "Sorry we have a problem and need to shut down".
Did a partial screen print the last time that happened, so you can see the info.
I'll be happy to check out any ideas about what's causing this - otherwise I may have to go back to VT2 to get my work done.
Lew

Lew
09-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Hi Paul,
Here's how I solved the driver issue, easier to show you a picture.
That part at least is working just fine for me.
Lew

tlively
09-23-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm not intimately familiar with ELSA's version of Nvidia's cards but why not just download the reference drivers from www.nvidia.com. I would be extremely suprised if they didn't work as well or better than what you are using. Also go the extra mile to make sure, at least to start with, that anything that even looks like it might be related to "NView" is disabled. I really like the features of NVIEW but it will eventually get you; usually at the worst possible time. This is not specific to Toaster systems!

Tom

Lew
09-25-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi Tom,
Tried the Nvidia drivers, never could get it to use both monitors for the VT3 desktop. The drivers I'm using have been working OK now for a couple of weeks, so I working on the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" theory.
Since I posted, there have been some other threads about the no two monitor desktop, so if I have to change it looks like that problem has been solved. It does sound like about the same thing I worked out, but I couldn't get it to work with the Nvidia drivers.
Thanks for the interest.
Lew