PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling with adaptive subdivisioning

Trulsi
10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi guys!

I've been wasting a lot of time the last few days trying to wrestle what I want out of the adaptive subdivisions. I'm probably doing something wrong.

I'm having a water surface which needs to be heavily subidvided for the the first 50 meters or so, and needs no subdivision from 200 meters or so out. I'm having problems getting a suitably steep change in subdivision.

Also, I would like to multiply my distance gradient with an angle to camera z - gradient to make sure LW doesn't subdivide stuff that isn't seen. But this doesn't work. I've put it as a multiply layer on top, with value 1 where I want the object to be subdivided and a steep change to value 0 when the angle passes 45. However, this reduces the overall subd level instead of reducing it just where it's not seen.

Have read the manual and seen a couple of lightwave videos... Anyone got any tips?

littlewaves
10-02-2009, 05:04 PM
this might be helpful,

tutorial series by Carm3d (thanks Carm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMLgO1YfAnA&feature=channel_page

this is the first part of four

Trulsi
10-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Helpful indeed!

Thank you very much! That was a great workaround for the "angle to camera Z"-problem:D

Thank you Carm3d also. Your narration was very entertaining, especially for my girlfriend who just listened in, haha.

Trulsi
10-03-2009, 06:25 AM
It seems that the problem, as I feared, is that Lightwave has to sort of smooth out the subdivision between the cage polygons. And when I come here trying to do extreme subdivision close to camera it just needs very many cage polys to smooth it out.