PDA

View Full Version : Layout -click select surface plugin?

erikals
10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
hmm... i thought i saw this somewhere... any ideas? does it exist?

using the mouse to click-select a surface in the OpenGL view?

Intuition
10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Never seen this in Lightwave. Would be handy though, I use it in maya, xsi and modo all the time to replace or update surfaces or model directly on geometry where I have placed surfaces just for the selection set it creates.

BeeVee
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
You can do it in Viper.

B

erikals
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
hah, no way... it worked! :)

(still looking for the plug, so if anyone remebers...)

but thanks BeeVee, i had no idea... :)

bjornkn
10-02-2009, 03:49 PM
In the latest FPrime when you click on a surface it will open Surface Editor and select the surface under the cursor. Is that what you were looking for?

erikals
10-02-2009, 03:53 PM
nope, njet :) it was a simple plugin...

bjornkn
10-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Then maybe it's Surface Picker?
http://flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=2369

erikals
10-02-2009, 04:00 PM
ahh!... i think that's it.

thanks, :)

SplineGod
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Also in Viper if you double click on a surface it creates a preset/

digefxgrp
10-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Pictrix also has a plugin called "GetSurf" that allows you to select a given polygon in the layout window and it then highlights that surface in the surface editor. It's shareware though. Can't remember how much.

erikals
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Pictrix also has a plugin called "GetSurf" that allows you to select a given polygon in the layout window and it then highlights that surface in the surface editor. It's shareware though. Can't remember how much.

Pictrix GetSurf is $10 :)
Sensei Surface Picker is $50, and less features...

i'm glad the plugins are made, but Sensei plugins are always expensive...
it might be better for him to focus on one area, like LWcad does...
he surely can code, but i'm unsure at times if he focus on the right areas...

UnCommonGrafx
10-02-2009, 08:20 PM
And only Half finishes stuff. Or keeps it undone for quite a long time.

Sensei
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Pictrix GetSurf is $10 :)
Sensei Surface Picker is $50, and less features...

Pictrix just stole ideas for plug-ins and constantly using dumping price. SurfacePicker was released more than year before GetSurf..
For $10 even if he would sell 100 copies (which I really doubt), he wouldn't reach price of development of plug-in.. This kind of plug-in is very complicated, and has more from real-time rendering engine, than from real modeling tool.

i'm glad the plugins are made, but Sensei plugins are always expensive...

Actually SurfacePicker was never meant to be sold separately. It is part of Modeling Pack. I made it sold separate for couple user requests. They later bought full Modeling Pack paying 50 usd more than they could (50 usd for separate Surface Picker, then 300 usd for Modeling Pack), so for them it was not worth requesting it.. ;)

it might be better for him to focus on one area, like LWcad does...
he surely can code, but i'm unsure at times if he focus on the right areas...

I am making plug-ins for user requests.. When I see somebody asking tool, and I think there is market for it, I am making it.

But you are right. Focusing on one specific area, is really not my behavior, because like change. I was writing drivers for PCI sound cards, gfx cards, 3d gfx cards, operating system, audio application, 2d graphics and animation application, 3d graphics application, 2d and 3d games, 2d and 3d mobile games (still playing my own game on phone when I am boring), user interfaces in Windows, BOOPSI classes, MUI custom classes, day-trader and stock market investor applications, games cheates (auto AIM using screen capture and analyze of game playfield for moving mouse at target in Counter Strike)..

erikals
10-02-2009, 09:45 PM
um, the surface picker idea is pretty simple, so i wouldn't call that stealing, unless he stole code (something i doubt)

future idea, make plugins for Core, it will surely lack many features.
easier to code (from what they claim)
this means e.g. you could look at the popular Modo modeling way of doing things,
then make something simpler/better for Core.

tyrot
10-02-2009, 09:59 PM
dear sensei

pictrix STOLE ideas? give me break there! He is one of the most generous and talented coders in our community.

I wouldnt model a single thing without his "free" plugins.

It is "YOU" who even don't bother to make your own retopology video and get 3DCoat's retopology video as your own product promotion...

Pictrix just ROCKS...

best

probiner
10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
lol Tyrot what are you going to acomplish with that comment? :P

Both Pictrix and TrueArt have some serious handy plugs that cover lacks or add features o LW toolset.

I admit i haven't bought any plugs from them, but i use Swift Edge Loop all the time and Pictrix beta box ones all the time.

Cheers

Sensei
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
dear hypocrite...

pictrix STOLE ideas? give me break there! He is one of the most generous and talented coders in our community.

I wouldnt model a single thing without his "free" plugins.

Generosity is not changing a bit in what I said, especially he didn't do it once. I wouldn't care for other people tools (or even didn't notice). But this happened with either Surface Picker and Swift Edge Loop. TWICE.

Your argumentation is similar to those who are voting for Polanski freeing "make him free, because he is great director, great artist. who cares that he had sex with 13 years old girl"..

BTW, I am with Polanski in this issue, but for completely different arguments than mentioned above..

It is "YOU" who even don't bother to make your own retopology video and get 3DCoat's retopology video as your own product promotion...

Are you well?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90805&highlight=retopology
I have clearly stated "3d coat retopology" and provided their link for comparison, later provided my own videos to show that they are almost matching and trying to say "now you can do it inside of Modeler"..

Americans might be not a customized to comparison marketing, where in movie of product X, there is showed and fully named product Y, as long as all informations are provided and true, but it's allowed here in Poland. But I didn't meant to compare products like that! People were constantly telling "make retopology tool like in 3d coat". So I did. What should I say in message? "See, it's retopology tool similar to the one you can find in the you-know-which 3d application".. Plain stupid. I didn't think such stupid thing could make LW community such anger. People here wouldn't even notice it, not to mention complain. The next time I will make f.e. LW Knife tool equivalent, I will write "here is cutting tool similar to in you-know-what-application and you-know-how-named tool, but with snapping, and working in perspective viewport" (or whatever else, its just an example, I don't have plan for it).. to not be accused for using LightWave name and LW videos in my own promotional informations.. ;)

Pictrix didn't even bothered providing Surface Picker link and videos and mentioning Surface Picker by name, like me with 3d Coat retopology.. That's why you're simply hypocrite..

Sensei
10-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Since when you have to ask for permission to use link to somebody server hosted by that person? Flay, google, and pretty much all newspapers and search engines would be dead in water, if it would be disallowed. Everybody does that all the time, since Internet born.
Example from our own community http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/resources.php
probably none of these were asked for permission. I am listed but nobody asked me to include in that list. But I don't mind, and it was nice surprise to find it.

EDIT:
Whole point of my previous thread was that it's absolute free to compare products with competitors in Poland. It's obvious that competitor who know that his product is weak, won't allow using it, so any asking would be rejected..

This law allowed to make such portals as www.ceneo.pl and www.skapiec.pl which are searching automatically Polish internet shops with f.e. electronics and stuff, and building list of products with prices lowest to highest. Why shop with high price would like to be in list like that, that will just discourage people from buying there seeing that their prices are ridiculous high? They have no option.

For example, I want to buy i7 920, after entering it in search, you have this list:
http://www.ceneo.pl/1993326
and I see that i7 920 2.66 GHz was found in 28 internet shops, with price between 995 zł to 1208 zł. (approximately 3 zl=1 usd).

Castius
10-03-2009, 01:01 AM
There will always be times when two or more Dev make similar tools. It's best to let them deal with it between themselves. And competition can bring out the best sometimes.

Dodge and I both made scripts for updating bones from skelegons in layout. At the time it made we want to just make even better tools. And both of our tools were free.

Cageman
10-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I agree, but that's not the point. Did you use a video Dodgy had created to help sell YOUR plugins? Not likely. Check out Sensei's link. He has a video created by the 3D Coat creator telling everyone that HIS tool is just like that one.

...the animated GIF is CLEARLY stating that it is 3D Coat Retopology that you are viewing when viewing the image. If you click on the two links below, you will see what the toolset in LW does.

I would hardly call it unethical to provide a comparsion between two products.

erikals
10-03-2009, 03:13 PM
i'm somewhere in between...

however when Sensei referred to the abuse of a 13 year old, THAT was over the top.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I certainly hope Sensei ports Easy Mesh, Easy Split and the rest of his plugs to Core.

On the rare days I do use Lightwave (Bring on Core!) I find Sensei's plugins indispensible.

jaxtone
10-04-2009, 01:53 AM
First of all I have now read the impressive list of all softwares you work with and I really must say I envy you for having such a great and broad competence. But I donīt get the sentence below, you are not boring, not at all! :D

... still playing my own game on phone when I am boring!

Secondly I just have to ask this question since I have planned to invest in your plugs for a while now but after reading these two gentlemens comments I just wonder what they mean by these critical words. You seem to avoid the question and thatīs your choice doing so if this is not true. Maybe these two gentlemen should be more precised for all of us reading this but I hope you understand why I ask!

Quote:

And only Half finishes stuff. Or keeps it undone for quite a long time.

Yes... I noticed you were ignored in all the replies. Interesting... huh.

P.S. It would also be interesting to know why you sympathize with R. Polanski in this case? I am not asking because I am a friend of media hyped witch hunts and in one way I understand why he have kept hinself outside American borders for such a long time. Meaning that Roman is a skinny little guy that for many years looked very young and in prison he would probably have been raped and violated constantly.

Hereīs a link to another view of Romanīs past, present and future.
http://mensnewsdaily.com/blog/stix/2005/07/roman-polanski-crime-pays.html

erikals
10-04-2009, 03:55 AM
this thread is getting off track http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/devil.gif

Sensei
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
P.S. It would also be interesting to know why you sympathize with R. Polanski in this case? I am not asking because I am a friend of media hyped witch hunts and in one way I understand why he have kept hinself outside American borders for such a long time. Meaning that Roman is a skinny little guy that for many years looked very young and in prison he would probably have been raped and violated constantly.

Read the end of this

http://www.radaronline.com/sites/default/files/RomanPolanskiTranscripts.pdf

Doctor said:

"Q. Could you determine whether Samantha Gailey had
had sexual intercourse?
A. On the evening in question?
Q. Excuse me. On March 10th.
A. All right. No.
Q. And why is that?
A. Simply that I had no physical evidence. I have
no bruises, hematomas, tears of mucous membrane, areas of
irritated mucous membrane for physical findings."

"Q. On your examination of the anus, did you find
any evidence which would indicate that a penis had been placed
in her anus?
A. No, I did not."

"Q. In your examination of the anus, you found no
injury?
A. No,"

"Q. From your examination, could you tell whether
Samantha Gailey had had a recent bowel movement?
A. Not from the examination."

Starting at 65 page (in original page numbering not PDF) there is whole girl story. "raped" girl is saying "hi, hello" to meet women that entered room were they were having sex...

geo_n
10-04-2009, 10:33 PM
...the animated GIF is CLEARLY stating that it is 3D Coat Retopology that you are viewing when viewing the image. If you click on the two links below, you will see what the toolset in LW does.

I would hardly call it unethical to provide a comparsion between two products.

It wasn't a comparison. When it was posted at first without permission he basically used the same graphics of a competing product on his new plug without mentioning that the graphics wasn't his or what you are seeing is not the actual product but its made by something else. False advert if you ask me.
Now if you have a demo reel and someone used it and say this is my work and used it to apply for jobs. Would you allow it? Maybe 99% would not agree to use their demo reel by other people. And this is a problem nowadays where people use other peoples demoreel. Shameless people.
Pictrix case is different. He maybe copies good ideas, workflows but he doesn't post advert by lwcad or easymesh,etc to use as his.
That copying of ideas,etc is more acceptable otherwise we would all be using autodesk products :D:D
Just don't use other peoples work and say its yours.:thumbsup:

Sensei
10-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you even bothered reading this PDF from grand jury? I read it all. There is no proof of that really happened, as doctor said.. Polanski had baby with first wife, and two living one with second.. So, if he can have child his semen should always have jism, he is not sterile. She said in her version that he finished everywhere (she said that wasn't cleaning before going to doctor).. So, what happened that there is no proof of having sex? Lee Edward Mann, was asked whether it's possible to use some chemical substance to cheat without jism, and he said there is couple giving false positive result.

Even she said that he had couple times sex with other mens before meeting Polanski, the first time she had sex in 8 year. So, even if they had sex, that was not her first time.. Why prosecutor was not interested in finding them and suing for the same paragraph (having sex with child)? Because they're not Hollywood director, but nobody known people?

Chris S. (Fez)
10-04-2009, 11:00 PM
You know something.... I wonder if YOUR daughter had gone through this you would be saying the same thing.

That guy SHOULD go to prison. Pathetic human waste.

John Grisham's first novel springs to mine...A Time to Kill.

I believe the girl was taken advantage of but her testimony is troublesome. Lines like "I can barely remember anything that happened" along with the apparent lack of physical evidence.

Regardless of the rape sentence, the penalty for fleeing justice might make him a lifer.

Sensei
10-04-2009, 11:04 PM
When it was posted at first without permission he basically used the same graphics of a competing product on his new plug without mentioning that the graphics wasn't his or what you are seeing is not the actual product but its made by something else. False advert if you ask me.

When it was the first posted? Where do you see line "Edited" at bottom of that message??

Mentioning 3D Coat in that message, was since ever..

I am shocked by your lies..

geo_n
10-04-2009, 11:30 PM
When it was the first posted? Where do you see line "Edited" at bottom of that message??

Mentioning 3D Coat in that message, was since ever..

I am shocked by your lies..

Sorry but you can edit a msg within a time period without the bottom post saying edited.;) I don't remember 3dcoat on that post when it was first posted and in anycase yourr still false advertising. :P

edited- for nothing

Chris S. (Fez)
10-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I guess being on quaaludes would allow for a perfect memory.

That's my point though. The lack of evidence for rape combined with her drug-induced amnesia makes it tough to completely trust her testimony.

Don't get me wrong. The guy is clearly a cowardly criminal and deserves a prison sentence but I can see how he might have gotten off with a wrist slap if he showed up for sentencing in the 70's.

That time has passed. An example must be made. Celebrity does not excuse criminality and I expect he will receive a brutal sentence merely for fleeing justice.

erikals
10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Can everybody just stop it?

what the hell does this has to do with " Layout -click select surface plugin?"

Stop.

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Can everybody just stop it?

what the hell does this has to do with " Layout -click select surface plugin?"

Stop.

Agreed drop it or the cat gets it :)

EDIT "within 30 secs "