PDA

View Full Version : PowerPoint question.

Snosrap
10-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Not NT related in anyway, but I was wondering if anyone knew whether it's possible to have PowerPoint reference images on a drive rather than importing them and making them part of the slide show. I've used Scala and InfoChannel Designer for many years and now need to use PP and realize it sucks the images into the presentation. Can that be avoided?

Thanks

meatycheesyboy
10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
As far as I know you cannot link any files in PowerPoint except for movie files and audio files (you have a choice on audio files).

Why do you need the images to be linked instead of embedded?

meatycheesyboy
10-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Actually, I should clarify, you can do it to a degree.

If you use Insert -> Object you can link external files but it isn't a very good method to use because it will only allow certain files depending on what's installed on your system (for example, it can link PSD files if you have Photoshop installed) and won't allow for very basic files like JPGs or PNGs. And if you do link something like a PSD then transfer the presentation to another person who doesn't have Photoshop, the image will display as a large red X.

OnlineRender
10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I try to avoid PP presentations nothing wrong I just personally think they look some-what generic , if you have time I would suggest html ,but generally I use Macromedia Director for presentation work ."looks nice you have more control over the variables and gives you a slight edge when dealling with clients ."

Peace

meatycheesyboy
10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Having used PPT professionally in the corporate environment for many years, this has come up many times in our company. Why don't you use X, the results are way better. Good design transcends the medium and quite simply put, other solutions don't offer the speed and the editability that PowerPoint offers when you're dealing with short deadline corporate clients.

But it really comes down to this, use whatever you're comfortable with that'll get the job done right and on time.

OnlineRender
10-02-2009, 10:41 AM
"yup" macromedia is director is out-dated but simple to set up the fancy mouse overs :) , what i like to do with Director is have a hidden button that i can use to jump pages

Sarford
10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
PPT should be avoided at all costs!! Man, what a 'piece of crap' program.
It is very good for consultant and other business people who make horibble, horrible presentations. For designers it is a nightmare to work in it.
I refuse to do anything in PPT or Word for my clients.

Snosrap
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody. Yes PP is total crap, but I have no choice in the matter, it's a corporate thing. Somebody within the company several years ago thought it was good idea to build a library of new product designs in PP. The reason I was hoping images could be linked is as we make revisions or minor tweaks to the design I was hoping the new rendering would automatically show up in the presentation without going into the presentation and manually making the update. We are in the process of changing the way we do this but the IT department has given it an end of 1st qtr 2010 completion date and I was hoping for a short term solution.

meatycheesyboy
10-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow guys, thanks for taking a total crap on the way I make my living.

Powerpoint is not 'total crap' as you put it. For it's intended purpose it is a great tool. If you're trying to do book layout then Lightwave is 'total crap' as well and if you're trying to animate a movie then InDesign is 'total crap' but those aren't really fair judgments, wouldn't you say?

As for your dilemma, if you're using PowerPoint 2007 (or a beta copy of 2010), there is a quick way you can change the images in the presentation without opening the presentation and manually changing each one. PPTX files are nothing more than zip compressed files. If you change the extension from PPTX to ZIP, you can extract the contents of the presentation, then it's a matter of going in and replacing the pictures you want to change with pictures that have the exact same name. If the new files have different dimensions then you'd probably be better off doing it manually but if the images are the same, this may be an option. After you've replaced what you need, just zip it up and rename it to PPTX and presto.

Sarford
10-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Don't take it personal Joshua, I've seen your work and it looks good, honest.
But to call PPT a great tool is stretching it, at least from the point of a designer.

If you draw a textbox and fill it with more text than can fit the box... it will scale your text down to fit in the box. WTF??
That, from the point of a designer, is a death sin! As a designer, I decide what the point size of my fonts should be, so DON'T scale them to fit in the box, ever.
Let me adjust the size of the box afterwards to fit the text, like every other program does.

For more than 15 years color in design programs range from 0 to 255 for red, green and blue. Not so in PPT, there it goes from 0 to 100. WTF???
How am I gonna match the colors if I don't have them in my program? What is the reason for making color from 0 to 100 instead of 0 to 255?? Why is this a good thing?? (adressed at the developers of PPT, not to you Joshua)

Animation over the Z axis? Not possible. Custom animation effects (per letter)? Not possible. etc, etc.

If you compare PPT to say AE or Flash, both programs in which you can make presentations, it is horribly limited. That is understandable ofcourse, couse PPT was never designed for designers, it was made for consultants and other office people, and for them its perfect. But for me, as a designer, working in it gave so much fustration that I made the descision never to use it again.

But I think you've summed it up perfectly: "other solutions don't offer the speed and the editability that PowerPoint offers when you're dealing with short deadline corporate clients." I agree with that 100%.

OnlineRender
10-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Wow guys, thanks for taking a total crap on the way I make my living.

lol I like ur image on CG ,irony at it's best .

nobody was being dis-respectful ,I done a course in college way-back that was evolved around PP with the most boring person in the world "hated it " from there on in ,I personaly try to avoid it for that reason .

if it makes money it works ...........

Lightwolf
10-05-2009, 05:47 AM
what i like to do with Director is have a hidden button that i can use to jump pages
You mean you code something that PP did like... forever, out of the box? Not only that, but you can jump to any page in the presentation and run in dual screen mode (recommended for higher end corporate presentations when the speaker shouldn't need to worry about the graphics).

But to call PPT a great tool is stretching it, at least from the point of a designer.
Edit: Sorry, I jumped at your post too early, you pretty much make my points later on in yours.

It's not a design tool to start with ;) It's a presentation tool for business presentations, certainly no more, but also no less.

There's little a bit of photoshopping can't fix.

And once you had a client sit next to you going through changes thirty minutes before the presentation you'll really start to appreciate it ;)

The only major downside is the sucky video integration, but that may be better nowadays (I haven't used it for a couple of years).

Cheers,
Mike

meatycheesyboy
10-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Just in case you do have to use it again, let me cleart yp a few of your misconceptions.

If you draw a textbox and fill it with more text than can fit the box... it will scale your text down to fit in the box. WTF??

http://www.yourzombieboyfriend.com/forum/fit.jpg

For more than 15 years color in design programs range from 0 to 255 for red, green and blue. Not so in PPT, there it goes from 0 to 100. WTF???

http://www.yourzombieboyfriend.com/forum/color.jpg

Custom animation effects (per letter)? Not possible. etc, etc.

http://www.yourzombieboyfriend.com/forum/text.jpg

Animation over the Z axis? Not possible. Custom animation effects (per letter)? Not possible. etc, etc.

You are right, you can't do that to my knowledge.

I'm not trying to be snarky, I just hate it when incorrect information gets passed around (about anything, not just PowerPoint).

Also, Snosrap, we've gotten a bit sidetracked on your problem, will my solution be of any help?

biliousfrog
10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I've never used PP but my girlfriend has used it many times. I wonder whether you've looked into Open Office? I know that she has found many things possible in Open Office that aren't (or weren't) possible in Power Point (such as video integration)...it also has loads of plugins, regular updates, loads and saves to MS Office formats and is free. I haven't used MS Office for years.

Sarford
10-05-2009, 05:28 PM
well, good to know Joshua, thank you. To my defence, it has been more than (at least) 5 years ago that I last used PPT, and those options weren't in there then. Still, good to know they update the program.

Snosrap
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Also, Snosrap, we've gotten a bit sidetracked on your problem, will my solution be of any help?

It might, I'll give it a go tomorrow when I get back in the office.

Thanks

Silkrooster
10-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Designer's shouldn't dump on power point just because it can not do certain things right out of the box. How many times has it been necessary to use multiple apps to accomplish something in a program that is meant for designing. (ex. using photoshop or illustrator for Indesign)
PP is capable of importing graphics files and animation files, therefore any or all designing can be done in another program and let PP do what it does "best" display a slide show.
I personally do not use PP mainly due to me not being in an office situation. But calling any program crap is crap itself. Most programs have a use or it would not exist.
OK I am done, must have felt like ranting tonight sorry guys...

Nangleator
10-08-2009, 07:01 AM
The advantage of PowerPoint over Flash or (gasp!) Director is that you can edit right up until showtime, on any computer that can display it. In addition, the morons-- um, I mean presenters -- can make many edits themselves, right up until showtime.

From more than a decade in the business, I can tell you that's the norm, not the exception. I have on multiple occasions edited slides during the presentation. These were big productions with audiences in the hundreds, rear screen projection and 10 people on show headsets following a TD's calls. I get the projectionist to freeze the screen, pop out of slideshow, page forward a couple slides, make the edit and get back into slideshow as the presenter is calling for the next slide.

I don't hate PowerPoint, but I've used all my best curses at it thousands of times.

P.S. You can make some pretty sweet templates and background images in LightWave, though. I like using a bare template image as a front projection image on a plane, which can then reflect and catch shadows from 3D objects. Or, I create an animation that looks like the PPT template and end it such that when I'm back out of the video to PPT, the audience can't tell there was a shift.