PDA

View Full Version : Picture in Layout

ednachman
10-02-2009, 08:40 AM
How do I get a picture jpg (image?) into Layout? I want to be able to rotate the picture. I do not want it as a background.

JeffrySG
10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
You could map it to a single polygon that you have set up the same proportions as your photo. Just set the surface of the polygon and then load that image on that texture in the correct axis.

There are some free videos on texturing and surfacing here if you need assistance as well:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

Look in the texturing and surfacing categories. :)

pdp editor
10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
you cant just "put" an image in layout, it must be on something like geometry, an object.
depending on the image you may also project an image onto an object using a light.

shrox
10-02-2009, 09:14 AM
You can put and move an image in Layout, but it's takes a bit of messing with. Under Background Options, Add Environment, Textured Environment.

ednachman
10-02-2009, 09:47 AM
shrox, I've followed your example but no image

prometheus
10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
use viper F7 key to see it, you cant see the textured environment directly in layout.

But I donīt think you would/ should use it if you donīt want it as a background picture, the textured environment is just that but with more
options than a standard flat background image, the textured environment gives you an option to have a 3d full environment like a spherical dome, wich can be tweaked in size and rotation and position, and you can also add procedural textures and gradients to get nice background.

If you want to have an image to see directly in layout youl have to create
a polygon billboard, by creating lets say a rectangel in modeler and then you assign your image
either in modeler first or in layout by using the surface editor, and under the colors t button is where you add an image layer and then select your image from there, if you have the right open gl settings you should be able to see the image in layout directly, make sure you check the automatic size button to map the image proper to the poly rectangel.

then you can rotate the poly rectangel as you want it or scale it etc.

hope it helps.

michael

ednachman
10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
I followed William Vaughn's tutorial (lwbox.mov). The only way I can see the image is through FPrime in Layout.

prometheus
10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
make sure your viewport display setting is set to textured shaded solid, its probably set to shaded solid only or something else.

Or it might be this..check your display settings for opengl..press d to bring up display panel
and under open gl make sure you have opengl textures checked..from there you also control the resolution of the image in open gl.

michael

prometheus
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
OOps..firefox crashed..and therefore a double post..when rebooting.

ednachman
10-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Prometheus, thanks; worked like a charm. Will keep this is my notes.

prometheus
10-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Glad to be of service:)

Michael