PDA

View Full Version : Mac os 10.6

sebrady
10-01-2009, 05:43 PM
will my lightwave 8.5 work if I get Mac OS 10.6 :help:

rsfd
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
sorry, cannot give you a solid answer, theoretically it should work (using rosetta).
But only users of this combination can tell you exactly.
As SL introduced incompatibilities even with LW UB 9.6 it's more likely that LW 8.5 will have issues too, but I wouldn't expect NewTek to fix those.
You could contact NewTek customer support, maybe someone there can answer your question (or even test it for you).

toby
10-05-2009, 01:12 AM
I wouldn't expect NewTek to fix those.
They won't, they officially do not support Rosetta, and I don't blame them - they'd need a whole extra team just make old versions work on the newest OS. It would also mean releasing updates to old versions, which ain't gonna happen

rsfd
10-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Didn't know that there is an official statement about that, but the development efforts are far too expensive, so I wanted to prepare sebrady for "not so good news" about further support.

DrStrik9
10-08-2009, 02:04 AM
It's frustrating to run LW 8.5 in pre-10.6 OS's (in my opinion). I haven't been sorry for upgrading to 9.6, and it works better and faster under 10.5.8 and 10.6.1 than anything running under Rosetta ever could. (Intel Mac Pro).

If you're on the Core list, you can get a version of LW that runs in 64-bit as well (under 10.6+, the first true 64-bit Mac OS). And there are apps out on the net for free that will allow you to boot 10.6+ in 64-bit mode. Recently I tried this and was able to render an image in LW many times larger than the 32-bit LW can render, because 32-bit can only address a small amount of ram, compared to 64-bit. I only have 10 GB ram in this machine, but 32-bit can only address about a third of it. 64-bit can theoretically address 17 million GB of ram (16 xabytes). LOL

Now all we have to do is wait for the plug-in programmers to make 'em all 64-bit. :-)

The things that initially didn't work for me when I installed 10.6 were all my printers, since Apple abandoned appletalk with 10.6. No more simple ethernet protocol printing. :-/ But with some work you can even get the older printers set up and working fine.