PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

v1u1ant
10-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Old question but,

Im looking to buy a Wacom Tablet.

Three Types for me to consider i guess. Need some opinions and best/cheapest place to buy. Im in Germany so shipping costs may come into it.

I guess in descending order of preference starting with the most favoured:

Wacom Intuos4 Medium Pen Tablet (best price ive found on that is $474.23 from Circuit City which converting it to 's is about 50 pounds cheaper than buying it direct from Wacom Europe, but any cheaper places to buy would be good)
Wacom Bamboo Fun( could have come up with a better name for that)
Wacom Graphire or i guess its called the Graphire Wireless.

Your opinions most welcome. Any other tablet suggestions welcome aswell.

I use LW, PS, ILL, AE, FCP and new to 3DCoat which with PS is where im most likely to be using a tablet.

Cheers

Lightwolf
10-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Try http://www.alternate.de - they have most of them on stock. And since they don't focus on graphics, but just sell hard- and software, you're likely to get a decent deal.

Cheers,
Mike

OlaHaldor
10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I can't recommend Intuos 4 M enough. I love it and use it for anything I do. Since I first got a tablet over 5 years ago, I've never used a mouse again on the Mac.

v1u1ant
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Cheers Mike,

Knowing how tight fisted Swabians are, im sure ill find a good deal there;) Ill check it out.

Cheers

Lightwolf
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Cheers Mike,

Knowing how tight fisted Swabians are, im sure ill find a good deal there;) Ill check it out.

Oh, you bet :D

I'd get at least the M as well, 309€ incl. VAT. + shipping.

That's less than I what I paid for my previous gen Intuos of the same size.

Cheers,
Mike

v1u1ant
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
God damn, ill have to transfer some money over as they wont take a UK card and deliver in Germany. UK really should replace the with the Euro anyway.

Johnny
10-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I just got a bamboo fun couple weeks ago... I agree about the name..it sounds like it's targetted at pre-schoolers.

it's a decent tablet, and this is my 4th wacom tablet.

I'm not a fan of wireless gizmos, yet you have to contend with that tablet wire, which can be a PITA.

in my set up, by putting my keyboard on 4 "feet" of the kind you sometimes get with speakers, I can snake the tablet's cord underneath the keyboard and it is out of my hair, and I can move tablet and keyboard around anyway I like.

but this also takes strain off the tablet's cord, which I suspect caused the premature failure of my previous 2 wacoms.

I made the decision to move away from mousing to using a stylus and have had no problems so far. for the past month it's been pretty much video editing and photoshopping...I've yet to try the stylus full time in 3D but I anticipate no problems there at all.

and the 4 buttons you can set to key commands are pretty helpful too in that they can minimize those long, 5-centimeter trips to the keyboard!

HTH.

J

JonW
10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Side issue.....

I’ve never used one, is having the largest tablet the equivalent of using a 30” screen which makes my life easier.

What size tablet would be best ?

probiner
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
My first tablet was an A4 from Trust. Cost 100 euros. It was nice to have a wide area to work, since the more area you have the more detailed stroke you can have. But at the same time, if you have a shaky hand, the more jagged it will come out.
After a time it simply got broken, and by the way this tablet requires a small AAA batery inside the pen, wich makes it heavier and... it's a battery...

Then i bought Graphire 4 (wich i think it was replaced by Bamboo). An A5 size for 200 euros. At start i was... double price for half size? But i did not know yet the Wacom's quadruple quality :D
Its a great product, very reliable. Altough it's an A5 i still can give a lot of detailed strokes and its not gigantic on my desktop. Some friends bought the A6 tablets, but imho thats fine but if you want detailed strokes, might not be great.

Cheers
Have fun with it, since drawing is one of the things i enjoy the most, when you can do it in the computer is Whooo HHoo...

OlaHaldor
10-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Johnny, the Wacom Intuos series 4 has a detachable cable. In the bundle there is a long enough cable to snake it through the various landscapes of tables and setups around the world. If it's not long enough, you can use a regular USB to mini USB cable, no matter how long or short it is. That will for sure take the stress of the cable. :)

JonW: I'd still use the Intuos 4 M :)

kfinla
10-02-2009, 07:52 AM
I have and Intuos4 large and I love it, if only the flex pen nibs weren't always on back order :). I had a Intuos2 12x12 previously and have used Intuos3 6x8's at work the last few years and think the Intous4 is noticeably superior to both. I found the 3 over the 2 only faintly better.

I'm used to the larger sizes, if u have the desk space, and take broad strokes it allows for more accuracy since you have a higher ratio of tablet lines per inch to monitor.

eblu
10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
I've got the intuos 3 9x12. its great. FAR better than the 6x8. I find that Tablets are better at bigger sizes than the math implies. a tablet twice as big as the one you've got is More than 4 xs better an experience.. So I recommend getting as big a tablet as you can justify to your wallet, your space, and the people around you that will have to put up with your smugness.

Johnny
10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Side issue.....

I’ve never used one, is having the largest tablet the equivalent of using a 30” screen which makes my life easier.

What size tablet would be best ?

I myself have not found that to be the case, and I have used a 7" wacom c. 1993, either an 18" or 24" wacom from same era, a Pen Partner, a Graphire and now this bamboo thing.

the pen partner was by far the smallest and I noticed no limitation owing to its smaller size.

Also, I have an aquaintance who is an accomplished graphic novel illustrator and art professor who has tried both large and small wacoms, and he reports the same thing I do: the smaller tablet is just fine. same goes for another commercial illustrator friend of mine who was all set to buy the huge bwana tablet until she test drove my pen partner.

like all things, it could simply be personal preference, so you might want to try out large and small if you have the chance to.

the extra bene is that the smaller tablet is easier to stow and takes up less desk space. the bamboo was at a significantly lower price, as well. I bought mine from costco, which has a great return policy.

my personal arrangement is, going toward me: Monitor>keyboard>wacom (bamboo) and I have absolutely every bit as much elbow room as I want and need with this set-up.

some folks like to have their keyboards/tablets off to the side but I myself just don't like that arrangement.

J

JonW
10-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks, I will try to find somewhere to test one.

Even though I do a lot via remote desktop, I still have 2 Mac & 2 PC key boards on the desk, so something will have to give.