PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave books

Richard Collins
10-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Which Lightwave books are best?

I need a book dedicated to Lighting, Texturing and also buildings and architecture in lightwave.

Thanks in advance

Richard:help:

WCameron
10-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Dan Ablans 'inside lightwave' books are excellent for Generalists. Theres a little bit of everything in there. The 3D Garage tutorials are even better.

Nick Boughen Lightwave v9 Lighting is really good - but its somewhat out of date wit Lightwave itself (since we now have IES lights, and a few other lighting related goodies) but its good for core principles, and once you learn those its easy to adapt to the new additions.

Angel Nieves LightWave v9 Texturing Is also a good
primer on texturing. I cant off hand recall if there was anything in there on NODES (I might be thinking of the previous version by Leigh van der Byl). I do know Angel (and Nick Boughen) are regulars here and at Spinquad and I think Angel had mentioned something about doing some video tutes on the Node stuff but I dont recall if he ever did...

I dont off hand know any specifically that deals with
Architectural visualization - There was one for LW6 on building a castle...

- Will.

Triodin
10-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Just wanted to say that I've had a very positive experience with the training at Kurv Studios.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/

I enjoy character animation mostly, but they've got lighting and texturing videos too!

There's also lots of great stuff here: http://www.vfxcast.com/search/lightwave/

aidenvfx
10-01-2009, 10:48 AM
The lightwave 9 texturing book does have a section on Nodes that is a great intro into using nodes. One is texturing rock cannon and the other is an ocean.

ednachman
10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
"Essential Lightwave v9" by Warner, Phillips and Albee

SplineGod
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
If you want top notch material I would go with Nick Boughens books/videos and
The essential Lightwave book. :)

Nicolas Jordan
10-01-2009, 04:54 PM
If you want top notch material I would go with Nick Boughens books/videos and
The essential Lightwave book. :)

I found Nicolas Boughens book Lightwave 3D 8 Lighting to be a really good book. I especially liked the last chapter where he walks through the challenges of a real production he had worked on.

Even though his book is still very applicable to Lightwave I think it desperately needs a rewrite and an update to catch up with all of Lightwaves new rendering and lighting features that have been added since then.

Another book I would highly recommend is 1001 Lightwave Tips & Tricks. It has been an huge resource and reference.

colkai
10-02-2009, 02:56 AM
Hi Richard, no books about architecture that I know of, but there is some LWCAD training just been released.
As for books, digital lighting by Jeremy Birn is a good one, though it's for LW8 "1001 lightwave tips and tricks" is very useful.

Richard Collins
10-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time this is a great help!!

Cheers

Richard

madno
10-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Hello all,
I am an amateur and new to LW and this forum. I am using Poser now for some time and had fun with it (and a lot of headaches). I enjoyed clothing female figures but then had the idea to render something realistic (e.g. a room without a female). So I spent some month to get used to ligthing, Gamma Correction, GI, AO, Sample Rates, Shader Setups and so on. But finally I came to the conclusion that Poser is for posing. Modeling is more or less not available and the render engine is let's say somehow limited. So I finally bought LW. First thing I would like to do, is to model my own simple room with a window and some furniture as a starting point with LW.

Sorry for the long preface:
What I am searching for is a book about modelling that does not only explain what tools are available in LW (that's pretty good covered in those I have, "Essential LW" and "Inside LW9") but why and when to use what kind of modeling technique. Something like: when to use tris, when to use quads, advantage or disavantage of non planar polygons, why to use subpatches etc. So it's more about modeling in general and not necessarily about LW (but it would be great if it would be written with LW in mind). Can you suggest such a book to me?
Thanks for your help.

colkai
10-06-2009, 03:00 AM
That's a toughie, it is a very subjective thing modelling so you'll find a book won't say "this is the right way / only way".

I think most would argue there is no hard and fast rule as to which tool and method to use when. As to tris vs quads, I tend only to use tris where a quad would create a non-planar or where it isn't "logical" for the model to have a quad at that point.

You'll find sometimes, one method of modelling is better, other times, doing a similar subject, it suits you to use another method and set of tools.

I'm sure others will jump in here too. :)

steamthunk
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Actually the Essential Lightwave 9 book does go into when you'd use what kind of modeling technique.

madno
10-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks for your replies. I understand it's learning by doing. So I will go with Essetial LW.

colkai
10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
Actually the Essential Lightwave 9 book does go into when you'd use what kind of modeling technique.

It does? sheesh, I'm getting old, I don't recall it. :D

steamthunk
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
It does? sheesh, I'm getting old, I don't recall it. :D

Heh. It's meshed into the chapter intros and conclusions. Nothing earth shattering (e.g. here's how you might use splines to start and then switch to box modeling, etc.), but Madno's examples are all touched upon as I recall.

I own plenty of LW books and Essential LW 9 is still my favourite.