PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 opinions?

Sekhar
10-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I have Vista 64 bit and am thinking of switching to Windows 7 64 bit. Any opinions/advice/thoughts? Both in general terms and specifically WRT LW.

Nicolas Jordan
10-01-2009, 09:49 AM
I haven't tried out Windows 7 yet but I still blindly preordered my copy at the special discounted price months ago based on the positive opinions of testers. I am hoping for the best.

AdamAvenali
10-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I haven't tried out Windows 7 yet but I still blindly preordered my copy at the special discounted price months ago based on the positive opinions of testers. I am hoping for the best.

me too. $40 for an upgrade seemed worth it haha

DiscreetFX
10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
What software do you have that requires Win7? We buy operating systems because of software/hardware we need to run. Eye candy in operating systems went out of style in the Amiga days.

stevecullum
10-01-2009, 10:27 AM
What software do you have that requires Win7? We buy operating systems because of software/hardware we need to run. Eye candy in operating systems went out of style in the Amiga days.

I got lumbered with Vista when I bought my new machine last year. Having tried the beta on my old machine, that was good enough reason for me to upgrade the rest. It feels a lot snappier than Vista and general file copying, installing software and everyday things is faster than both Vista and XP on my machine.

Sekhar
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Win7 is reportedly faster than Vista for the same HW, is lighter weight, and manages resources better. Again, reportedly - hence this thread.

biliousfrog
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
I bought Vista with the Win 7 upgrade for my new PC as I've heard nothing but good things about it. I also couldn't see a reason to stay with XP any longer as all of the Vista bugs seem to be sorted, I actually really like it on the new comp after hating it previously.

Sorry, yet another post from someone that doesn't have it yet, I think that it's due to be delivered in November. If I was able to get a new machine earlier I'd have signed up for the beta but unfortunately things didn't work out that way.

I've heard good things from people on here that are using it. As far as LightWave, it works just as well as on Vista apparently.

One thing to consider is that it no longer has an email client included although you can install the 'Live' client which is all based online. I'm going to give Thunderbird a go and try to import all of my contacts from Outlook.

Skonk
10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Been running Windows 7 for 2 or 3 weeks now (full release version) and I really like it.

I tried vista several times at home, and had to use it here at work but found it to be very slow and prone to various problems.

Windows 7 seems much more solid and it certainly runs faster than Vista.

I wont go as far as to say Windows 7 is better than Windows XP... yet, need more time to really test it but so far I havn't had any problems at all with Win7 and dont feel any need to go back to XP.

Also, a lot of the visual and workflow improvements didnt impress me when they announced/demo'd them; but having used them (things like pinning 2 windows to the sides of the screen) most of them are actually very useful.

In terms of speed, I doesn't feel any slower than XP and this is on the exact same hardware, where as Vista was definitley slower than XP when running on the same kit.

EDIT:

Forgot to say, I run Windows 7 32bit here at work, and Windows 7 64bit at home; Both have been working equally fine.

I have also used Windows XP 32bit, Windows XP 64bit, Windows Vista 32bit and Windows Vista 64bit all on the same 2 machines (work and home) so I can offer a very fair comparison.

JohnMarchant
10-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Been using it since Beta, lots better than Vista, so if you have vista get Win7 you wont be sorry. If you still use Win2000 or XP, id stick with that as long as you dont need anything that comes with Vista/Win7, mostly the eye candy stuff.

Regards john

DiscreetFX
10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
@stevecullum

If you are trying to get off the train wreak that is Vista than 7 might make sense.

:thumbsup:

OnlineRender
10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Been using it since Beta, lots better than Vista, so if you have vista get Win7 you wont be sorry. If you still use Win2000 or XP, id stick with that as long as you dont need anything that comes with Vista/Win7, mostly the eye candy stuff.

Regards john

I second that .........

Sekhar
10-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Looks like it's true then, all the good stuff people are saying about Win7. Couple of questions to those who tried it out:

Did it break any of your programs or hardware (had a lot of issues with hardware when I upgraded to Vista)
If you had Vista, did you try the upgrade thing, where you install Win7 like a regular program and don't need to re-install any of your software?

wellsichris
10-02-2009, 11:23 AM
So I have really wanted win7 to be good, mainly so I can have better driver support on my macpro. I like being able to see the mac partition on win7 with the snowleopard bootcamp drivers. anyway I avoided vista completely, So I installed the RC release, that was publicly available. And did some benchmarks and test. compared to xp64 vs 7x64 windows 7 was slower on almost ever test. I used cinebench 64. 10 and 9 I think it was. Also understand my xp64 copy is cluttered with software. and an old install. I say that because things seem to get slower over the months the more things I have installed, and a fresh install always seems to be a little faster. it wasn't by much, but enough that it seemed wrong, especially considering cinebench was the only thing installed. I have the figures at home. Now I don't know how to turn things off in 7 to make it faster, so maybe there's some optimizations that would help. I also tried to install lightwave and it said I didn't have permission to install the license. I haven't cared enough to figure what setting to change to be able to install the license, I just went back to my xp64 install. if someone has a good how to speed up win7 by turning off crap you don't need tutorial. I can try that and run the benchmarks, then give the results. but overall, I think I'll stay with xp64

Chris

DiscreetFX
10-02-2009, 11:57 AM
@Sekhar

How do you know that MS did not pay us to say it's good?

:D

Sekhar
10-02-2009, 12:37 PM
@Sekhar

How do you know that MS did not pay us to say it's good?

Nah, I'm an excellent judge of avatars, and you all are obviously good guys. :) BTW, sorry about the Olympics vote.

extrabyte
10-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi folks.

I am not a MS fanboy but I had to chime in.

I have been using Windows 7 x64 since the first beta.

I'm currently on the RTM.

Even then, it was infinitely more stable, less of resource hog and more hardware/software compatible than Vista was/is. But the trick is still to turn off all of the eyecandy and unnecessary background processes (there's a good size list), especially Windows Search and Superfetch. It's simply not worth the 5-30 seconds of time that you might save in searching and opening programs for the thrashing and constant indexing that those services do.

Windows 7 is really a no brainer.

let us know how you make out.

Cheers!

wacom
10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I only went with vista because A) it was hard to find a copy of XP-64 that wasn't overly priced B) I wanted to use more of my memory and CPU and C) because certain applications I have were made with vista in mind (as dumb as that is).

Vista 64 has been solid for me (sans a printer driver issue that caused me to have flash backs of the windows 3.1 days, but has been fixed) although it's also dog slow to load, hogs system resources like mad, and often is paging to disk or something and for no reason.

Still- I've now ran it on two systems (Intel and AMD), and it's been fine, solid- no crashes etc. (other than those caused by bad RAM).

OK, so the fact that Vista actually runs fine for me, but was and still is shrouded in justifiable hatred but 7 has been 95% positive news all the way around made upgrading to it a no brainer. All the "good" stuff in Vista without all the garbage sounds good to me...

XP is fine...if you only have 1-2 app open and none of them can use an address space above 2GB and you don't need it. The 3GB switch thing is a joke in it- and can cause serious system instability...

Either go OSX, use Linux, or do the smart thing and just get 7 if you can.

Larry_g1s
10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I've avoided Vista like the plague. Two reasons: 1.) the initial horror stories. 2.) XP 64bit is solid. The reason I'm looking to jump to Win7 has more to do with some of the initial good responses, but also driver support. I don't see XP 64bit holding up much longer with driver support. So it's good to know it seems like MS has done well with this, even if it's Vista 2.0. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

COBRASoft
10-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Win 7 x64 Ultimate here all the way (on I7 desktop and new Quad Core laptop). I've used Vista x64 before and Win7 is definitely faster. Since I'm only using recent hardware, I have no driver problems at all. Connecting to networks (VPN, Wireless, ...) is much faster than with Vista too. I love the background slideshow they've added...

Shnoze Shmon
10-02-2009, 07:37 PM
My personal rule is never buy an OS until it has been out for 1.5 years.

I know, if everyone did that there would be no new OS made, but hay, I'm not responsible for making it such a good practice.

Sekhar
10-02-2009, 07:41 PM
My personal rule is never buy an OS until it has been out for 1.5 years.

It's time to change the rule...to may be 0.5 years or less. Dev cycles are much shorter now.

Boris Goreta
10-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Go with 7. I'm with it from the start of the beta. The thing I like best is the speed at which programs start. The programs you use every day start almost instantly. I guess 7 learns your habbits and holds them in memory cache for fast loading.

JMCarrigan
10-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I put the beta on every computer in the house and tried to break it. End result is it's the first Windows I've ever liked. I built a new i7 system for the coming CORE etc. So I put Vista Ultimate on it with the idea I would upgrade to Win 7 asap.

When the RC came out, I upgraded the Vista Ultimate 'cause I didn't want to reinstall all my stuff then turn around and do it again with the RTM.

I was surprised that it upgraded but the eventual ground up re-install with the RTM was/is the bomb. No complaints. I've even gotten used to the new tool bar.

probiner
10-02-2009, 10:33 PM
It's time to change the rule...to may be 0.5 years or less. Dev cycles are much shorter now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE

IgnusFast
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft has ever released. It's like OS X but plays games, too! :)

COBRASoft
10-03-2009, 06:01 AM
The new statusbar is actually the only thing I don't like. I miss my quick links and the ability to launch programs twice very fast. As a developer I need this many times (twice Studio, twice SQL Server Management Studio, ...). Therefor, I use a buttonbar from DOpus, placed it on top of my statusbar and have my quicklinks, with more possibilities (DOpus is superb) :)

Boris Goreta
10-03-2009, 06:35 AM
But why don't you pin all of your programs to the status bar and launch them from there ? Also if you need some program to be run second or third time you can just hold shift and click on the icon.

COBRASoft
10-03-2009, 09:33 AM
I know Boris. In Vista I used double height status bar and the quick link icons were on 2 lines then (depending how wide I made the quick links). Now, I have the same height, but can use different functions with the same DOpus button (left, right, middle button). I could even make small menu's in them if I wanted. I find that it gives me more flexibility and control than simple Win7 bar.

Boris Goreta
10-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds interesting, I'll give DOpus a try.

COBRASoft
10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Sounds interesting, I'll give DOpus a try.

You won't regret it! The power of DOpus is really saving me time and money every day.

IgnusFast
10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I actually really like the way the bar works now - I can right-click and select a new instance from the menu. It actually stops me from occasionally (whether due to idiocy or mouse screw-up) double-clicking on a quick-launch icon. And the history in that menu for Windows Explorer is awesome for going directly to particular directories.

And I'm a Mac fanboi, not a Microsoft apologist, so my opinion is less biased than it may sound. :)

Boris Goreta
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I've installed DOpus but can't find buttonbar anywhere. :bangwall:

COBRASoft
10-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Boris: yeah, the settings in DOpus are amazing. To make a new toolbar, right click somewhere in a DOpus listers toolbar and choose 'customize'. There you can add a new toolbar (left area of the screen with the little icons). You will be requested for a name, so give an appropriate one. Then, select the toolbar in the list on the left side. After that, you can check the 'Floating...' in the right side of that screen. Drag the floating toolbar just above the Windows Toolbar and it will dock above it. Then, play with the other settings of the toolbar (choose far glass appearance). If you have more questions, you can always PM me. The DOpus forums are also a very interesting place for help.

TeZzy
10-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Vista 64 is stable here. So long as the machine running it is good enough. Think of windows 7 as windows vista service pack 2 with a price tag.

IMI
10-04-2009, 04:44 AM
I love Windows 7. :D
It works fine with everything I use, although if nobody has yet mentioned it, Evenbalance doesn't support Windows 7 yet, and Punkbuster doesn't run properly on it. Or maybe not at all. All I know is I can't do any online gaming under Win 7 in games that use punkbuster. Which I guess is all of them.

One thing though I don't like about Windows 7 though is if you pin a program to the task bar, it seems you lose the ability to right click on its icon to open the file location.
I suppose Microsoft figures that nobody has any need to quickly get to their program's root folders. :rolleyes:

Although the ability to dock libraries and folders in the Windows Explorer sidebar is very very cool, and searching seems alot faster too.
Unlike in Vista, I actually allow indexing under Win 7, and I never see the disk thrashing that Vista causes with that.

Drakaran
10-04-2009, 02:40 PM
DOpus was a fantastic Amiga file utility. I haven't looked it up in years though.

I use LW on win7 64 and it runs great.

Boris Goreta
10-04-2009, 03:40 PM
IMI, you can access file location buy shift+right clicking on the icon. Although this doesn't work if the program is started.

Liber777
10-04-2009, 05:50 PM
IMI, you can access file location buy shift+right clicking on the icon. Although this doesn't work if the program is started.

If the program is running, you can still do it but it takes a couple steps. Right-click on the taskbar icon, then right-click on the program icon in the menu that pops up, and select 'Properties.' Then you can click 'Open file location.'

Liber777
10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I actually really like the way the bar works now -

I'm digging it too. I just wish there was an option to allow the taskbar and title bar to go opaque when you maximize an app. That's the one change that I intensely dislike.

IMI
10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Boris and Liber777, thank you both for that information, I didn't know about that obviously.
Now I can remove all my program root folder shortcuts from my desktop. :thumbsup:

BeeVee
10-05-2009, 01:02 PM
BTW. New users to Directory Opus should definitely have a look at the banners on www.lightwiki.com. There's a discount for the purchase of DOpus on there.

B

Ztreem
10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I hope to buy win 7 together with a tablet netbook with a multitouch screen and replace my ipod touch with a pc that can read flash sites. I'm sold on win 7 only by the fact that it supports multitouch. For mac lovers(I'm no fan) that runs windows I can recommend RocketDock (a mac style launchbar).

Riff_Masteroff
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Now that Microsoft will release the state-of-art, highly advanced, wonderful and must-have operating system known as Windows 7 . . . .

Will we be able to replace the standard windows color picker with the Jovian Color Picker?

IMI
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Now that Microsoft will release the state-of-art, highly advanced, wonderful and must-have operating system known as Windows 7 . . . .

Will we be able to replace the standard windows color picker with the Jovian Color Picker?

Oh wouldn't that just be a dream come true...

Nope. That piece o' crap Windows color picker is still there. Fortunately most graphics programs come with their own, any of which is better than what Windows has.
It's funny too - they built monitor calibration software into Windows 7 and even gave Paint and Wordpad new interfaces, but that color picker still remains unchanged from when it was first invented - in 1947 or so. ;)

COBRASoft
10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Just to inform you all, DOpus 9.5 is released. Works better with Win 7 and Win Server 2008.

extrabyte
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
aaaahhhh . . .

you guys do know that the classic "Quick Launch" is still there in Win 7.

You just have to add it as a Toolbar.

It resides in: C:\Users\Yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et Explorer

Then just drag it out to the left and expand it on the taskbar and off you go.

The "go to desktop" paddle is there too.

Cheers

Paul_Boland
10-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I got Windows 7 Ultimate Edition for FREE at a Widnows 7 Launch Event held in Cork, Ireland, a couple of weeks back. It was a great day out. I installed Windows 7 onto my laptop.

It's a very nice OS. The glass interface is now everywhere and you have loads of options for customisation of how it works and looks. The new taskbar took a bit of getting us to, it's like Apple, it displays icons instead of textual boxes, but it's fine. The UAC hasn't popped its head up once on me though I haven't done anything mad yet. LOL!!

All the old apps have got a make over and there are some new ones such as a maths equation tool. Haven't a close what it's for, but it's cool.

It's very fast too but could that just be because of the new fresh install??

It's the OS Vista should have been and if you're running Vista I say move up to Windows 7. If you're running XP, that OS is faily roack solid so you might want to wait a bit for Windows 7 to mature, but I'd say Windows 7 will kill XP. It's a lovely OS with lovely new features and all is well so far.

Larry_g1s
10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Little article on Win 7: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107925/a-windows-to-help-you-forget?mod=career-worklife_balance

IMI
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Little article on Win 7: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/107925/a-windows-to-help-you-forget?mod=career-worklife_balance

I love Windows 7, and I agree that in many ways it's better than Vista...
But that article is a joke. It reads like it was written by someone with a very minimal grasp of computers and particularly operating systems, with a beef for Vista, or a motivation to plug Windows 7.

Titus
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I got Windows 7 Ultimate Edition for FREE at a Widnows 7 Launch Event

Oh yes! the first one is always free :D

IMI
10-13-2009, 06:46 AM
From that article, regarding upgrading and reinstalling programs and such:

...This painful XP upgrade process is one of the worst things about Windows 7 and will likely drive many XP owners to either stick with what they've got or wait and buy a new one.

Oh...waaahhhhh... cry me a river.
Besides, that doesn't make any sense. If you buy a new PC, you're going to have to reinstall everything anyway. :rolleyes:

JessicaD
10-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Sekhar,

To learn more about how Windows 7 can meet your needs Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet here http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Also, if you would like to read what other users have said about their positive experience with Windows 7, you may want to check out the following sites: http://tinyurl.com/5tfr8 and http://tinyurl.com/nsm3s

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Sekhar
10-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Sekhar,

To learn more about how Windows 7 can meet your needs Microsoft does have a site with whitepapers, tutorials, walkthroughs and screen casts on all the “under the hood” features in Win 7. Check out the Springboard site for Windows 7 on TechNet here http://tinyurl.com/832nco

Also, if you would like to read what other users have said about their positive experience with Windows 7, you may want to check out the following sites: http://tinyurl.com/5tfr8 and http://tinyurl.com/nsm3s

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Thanks, Jessica. Nice of you to take the time/effort to post in forums like these. You folks have a winner in Win7 looks like, congratulations!

DiscreetFX
10-13-2009, 11:02 AM
neverko is right, clean install is the best option when getting a newer version of your OS.

IMI
10-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Wow, this thread captured an actual Microsoft person. And a female one at that. That's always cool, can't ever have enough women around. :D

I'm really loving Windows 7 RC 1 here. Been using it since May or June. Sucks though that I'm gonna actually have to pay for it soon. ;)

If you wander on back, JessicaD, please tell me that that whole folder stupidity thing was fixed for the RTM of Windows 7. I'm talking about the one where it just randomly changes your folder views at its own whim.
I like my folders to show name, size and date modified. Anything else, I know how to find out if I'm interested and I know how to display it too.

However, Vista took it upon itself to decide that for me and in spite of what I set in Folder Options, it just gave me whatever it wanted - pictures, full icons, tags..whatever. And the only way to defeat it is through a simple, although time-consuming registry hack.

And Windows 7 RC 1 does it too. Surely the Ubergeeks at Microsoft could figure a way to build that registry hack into the OS. No?

Well, at least the nannyware was toned down considerably. Where Vista was a full blown Mary Poppins, Windows 7 is more like an older sister who at least lets you stay up late when your parents go out. ;)

wacom
10-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I keep thinking would it not be nice to have OSX available to more hardware for PC users...but now with Snow Leopard having enough issues that it makes it look WORSE than 7 I think it will easily be another 4 years before I'm on a Mac. Even the mac site has it at 3/5 star customer rating!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8304229.stm

Looks like they hired the fired crew from Vista to make it...

The fact that Apple is helping Disney land sell more useless goods to people doesn't really make me warm and fuzzy about the company's image either.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/business/media/13disney.html?_r=1&em

Hmmm...Disney or the Gates foundation? Think I'll buy 7 and support the Gates foundation...

Snosrap
10-13-2009, 07:44 PM
I have the $64,000 question. Does LW9.6 work good on Windows 7?

Larry_g1s
10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I have the $64,000 question. Does LW9.6 work good on Windows 7?I'd just finished installing it on one of my render machines before I left for the day, unless someone else jumps in before tomorrow I'll let you know. It'll be the 64bit version of v9.6.

IgnusFast
10-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Lightwave under Win7 has a few of the same strange redraw issue that were exhibited under Vista (leave a Lightwave Dropdown open too long and you get odd main screen redraw issues, and sometimes the dropdown is drawn in a different position), but they're minor. I assume that's because the DX screen compositor is basically the same between the two. And this may well be Lightwave's fault, not the OS.

Lightwave *feels* faster under Win7 than Vista; I've never actually benchmarked Lightwave, but I know from experience that Microsoft made some serious improvements to the task scheduler and memory manager, so I assume the feeling is the result of actual speed increases, especially during heavily multithreaded operation.

Otherwise the experience is virtually identical.

Boris Goreta
10-14-2009, 02:51 AM
9.6 x64 and 7 x64 work great together. The only thing that is querky is that drop down menu. But it only freaks out if you think too long what to select soooo - work faster :o)

IMI
10-14-2009, 06:27 AM
I've been using LW 9.6 (64 bit) on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate since May of this year, and have had no problems that I could attribute to Windows 7.
Unfortunately, Windows 7 didn't fix FiberFX, but it was worth a shot anyway. ;)

OnlineRender
10-22-2009, 12:33 AM
WINDOWS SEVEN out sells everything ! on Amazon "even Harry Potter " :)

Matt
10-22-2009, 05:05 AM
The new statusbar is actually the only thing I don't like.

From what I've seen, me neither. Too big and I loathe those horrible borders shaded around everything. Just gimme the icons with no borders please, nothing else.

Still buying it though!

Matt
10-22-2009, 05:09 AM
unfortunately, windows 7 didn't fix fiberfx, but it was worth a shot anyway. ;)

rotfl! :D

cresshead
10-22-2009, 05:39 AM
has windows 7 finally put a stake thru the heart of vista default folder view options?

i want to SEE by default when i click detail view 'date modifed and type and size' in all my folders on my entire PC anot NOT have the utter rubbish of star rating ,date taken, play count and all the other nonsense that vista FORCED you to have by default.

unless that's been banished to a fire pit i'm so not interested in anything other than xp really..:)

Waves of light
10-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I was luck enough to get my copy earlier than planed.

Installed it on my Quad Core machine with 8G and I can see a noticable difference in speed compared to Vista Ultimate (which is now on t-bay).

Lw 9.6 32 and 64 works fine - the hub loads quicker and so does Modeler and Layout (but I don't know if this was down to Norton 9 on my Vista build waiting to allow Hub/Modeler/layout to load - Norton 10 works nice with Win7).

I haven't loaded in lwcad, or core yet.

Adobe products (PS 64bit, Flash, etc.) seem quicker.

And the new layout and folder options are excellent.

I really cannot fault it.

Cresshead - I believe you can now, under the Control Panel, set Folder options, and set it to whatever you want - I will check tonight.

Matt
10-22-2009, 06:18 AM
has windows 7 finally put a stake thru the heart of vista default folder view options?

i want to SEE by default when i click detail view 'date modifed and type and size' in all my folders on my entire PC anot NOT have the utter rubbish of star rating ,date taken, play count and all the other nonsense that vista FORCED you to have by default.

unless that's been banished to a fire pit i'm so not interested in anything other than xp really..:)

Technically, you're supposed to be able to do that in Vista, and for the most part, it does, but on occasion I have seen my folder views get returned to silly massive icon mode!

But that's all gone since I bought DOpus, which I HIGHLY recommend, totally stable, never had one problem with it. Enhances Windows massively.

Oh and regarding using Jovian as the standard picker - not possible. Jovian is for LW only, but you can obviously replace the Windows picker with that one in LW.

cresshead
10-22-2009, 07:12 AM
in 'blister' you can set any hard drive EXCEPT drive 'c' to display the folder deatiles how you want to but drive 'c' is really hard to sort out...it sems to have alzeimers..

when i look at my images folder in 'my documents within say a lw or 3dsmax dir i want to see them listed date created/modifed NOT date taken and have a 'star rating'...

3dsmax for example puts your default install content dir on the c drive..makes for a constantly annoying session looking for maps as an example..

overall Vista is 'okay' just this 1 thing drives me nutts!
so just to be mountain water clear...windows 7 has shot this 3 legged horse and turned it to glue yes?

lwaddict
10-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Forget the color picker...
I've yet to find anything more useful than "Color Cop" and it's free.

Anyone know anything about Win7 stability with Poser, Adobe CS3, etc?

I knew LW would run on it, hell it runs on anything (just faster or slower) here...

But to get a new system with Win7...
I gotta know everything's going to work.

Larry_g1s
10-22-2009, 08:26 AM
I've got it installed on one of my machines, and so far so good.

geo_n
10-22-2009, 09:17 AM

There's a resetvista explorer on the net that basically turns the explorer category to winxp. i can upload it but its an exe file. Search vista forums for it. That really bugged me in vista as well.

IMI
10-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Dunno about the final release version. I ordered that just this morning but won't have it until Monday.
But the RC does the same thing as Vista, far as resetting your folder views to whatever random things it wants.
I actually mentioned all that on the previous page of this thread...

Hopefully they fixed in in the final version but I'm not going to hold my breath. The folder view/registry hack works in Vista and Windows 7 RC1, and *if you do both parts*, the views will never change to anything else but what you want.

I'm attaching the instructions in a text file if anyon'es interested, but it really would be nice if Win7 RTM has eliminated this annoying problem once and for all.

OnlineRender
10-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Well, it's pretty stupid if the folder view issue hasn't been fixed in Win 7. Apparently two service packs wasn't enough. But if Vista-relaunched hasn't fixed it then, well... *boggle*

It's such an easy reg hack as it is. It's almost like they don't want to, no matter how minor it actually is.

The RC Beta was nuked with-in 5 hrs !

IMI
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, it's pretty stupid if the folder view issue hasn't been fixed in Win 7. Apparently two service packs wasn't enough. But if Vista-relaunched hasn't fixed it then, well... *boggle*

It's such an easy reg hack as it is. It's almost like they don't want to, no matter how minor it actually is.

Yeah, I agree.
Took me a few to figure out what you meant by "Vista-relaunched". :lol:

JMCarrigan
10-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm attaching the instructions in a text file if anyon'es interested, but it really would be nice if Win7 RTM has eliminated this annoying problem once and for all.

Yowza! Thank you very much. It works like a charm.

Sekhar
10-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Talking of annoyances, does anyone know how to maintain desktop icon positions? Every time I change the screen resolution, the icons get messed up and there's no way (I know of) to get the old positions back. I did try a few apps on the net that are supposed to save/load the positions, but they never worked consistently for me. This is such a basic thing, I can't believe Windows doesn't do it automatically.

Boris Goreta
10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Guys, why are you making such a big deal with folders view in Vista ? It is annoying but you litteraly need 10 seconds to fix this forever and it will never annoy you in your life again.

IMI
10-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Talking of annoyances, does anyone know how to maintain desktop icon positions? Every time I change the screen resolution, the icons get messed up and there's no way (I know of) to get the old positions back. I did try a few apps on the net that are supposed to save/load the positions, but they never worked consistently for me. This is such a basic thing, I can't believe Windows doesn't do it automatically.

I don't know if you've tried Desktop Restore, but I used it with Vista and now with Windows 7 RC 1 for the past six months and it works perfectly:
Desktop Restore Linky. (http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/jsoft.htm#Desktop)

And you're welcome, JMC. :)

IMI
10-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Guys, why are you making such a big deal with folders view in Vista ? It is annoying but you litteraly need 10 seconds to fix this forever and it will never annoy you in your life again.

I don't know what you're talking about, but the registry hack I posted above is the only way I ever found to solve the Vista folder view problem for good.
A little more than ten seconds though, maybe a minute, if you're good withe the registry. ;)

Sekhar
10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't know if you've tried Desktop Restore, but I used it with Vista and now with Windows 7 RC 1 for the past six months and it works perfectly:
Desktop Restore Linky. (http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www.midiox.com/jsoft.htm#Desktop)

And you're welcome, JMC. :)

Not sure, may be. Anyway, thanks - I just installed it.

SpawnSP
10-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi all

Just a note to all. Don't install any version inferior to Windows 7 Professional if you have two physical CPU's, as it will only use one. You'll say "I already knew that!!". Well, I didn't, and now I have one CPU that is doing absolutely nothing when i render something on LW.

Matt
10-23-2009, 07:24 PM

ShellToys (http://www.cfishelltoys.com/) has an option under the right mouse menu to save desktop icon positions, as well as a ton of genuinely useful features. I have never plugged a Shareware app as much as this one, it's awesome!

Larry_g1s
10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
I've got LW running seemingly fine on a render machine with Win7 (I'm going to give it a good testing this weekend). But has anyone else installded the Adobe products (Photoshop, AfterEffects, etc.) and/or Maya on Win7 without any problems? I need to make sure of these before I install win7 on a more work machine.

borkus
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I can't say from experience as I've not loaded Windows 7 to my machine yet, but my instructor at school is adamant that if it worked in Vista, it will work in Windows 7. Again, this is from an outside source. I will be loading Windows 7 soon, I hope.

Larry_g1s
10-23-2009, 09:49 PM
That's kind of what I thought too, I was just looking to see if I could get that confirmed. Thanks.

COBRASoft
10-24-2009, 04:22 AM
I hate too many icons on my desktop, it ruins the background and it forces you to minimize everything to start an icon. The only icon I have is the trashcan :)

I prefer my DOpus docked toolbar at the bottom and launch every app from there. Much more flexibility and power... and a clean desktop.

Sekhar
10-24-2009, 07:25 AM
ShellToys (http://www.cfishelltoys.com/) has an option under the right mouse menu to save desktop icon positions, as well as a ton of genuinely useful features. I have never plugged a Shareware app as much as this one, it's awesome!

Thanks, will check it out. Still, this should be native in Windows IMO. Hopefully there'll be less and less need to switch resolutions in the first place.

Matt
10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, have installed Windows 7, so far no issues.

Apart from Steam taking ages to update itself because every man as his dog is updating it after a fresh Windows 7 install!

IMI
10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I've got LW running seemingly fine on a render machine with Win7 (I'm going to give it a good testing this weekend). But has anyone else installded the Adobe products (Photoshop, AfterEffects, etc.) and/or Maya on Win7 without any problems? I need to make sure of these before I install win7 on a more work machine.

I have Photoshop CS 4 running just fine on Windows 7 RC 1. That's the only Adobe product I own though.
One strange thing though is I had problems with the free Acrobat Reader, which came from accidentally clicking on the button for accessibility options in my microphone controls, if you can believe that.
I had to uninstall it and remove everything related to it in order to get it to work right again, and Acrobat puts files ALL OVER your drive, including the registry, so it's not easy to get rid of.

DonJMyers
10-24-2009, 01:13 PM
One nice feature is that highly compressed AVCHD video files from my HD camera play back natively. In Vista they don't and you have to track down one particular player or install a hated "codec pack" to look at them. Codec packs ruin everything.

Now I can just double click the video and it plays back at 1920x1080 just great!

In Speededit 1.5.5 the videos show up as icons but won't edit. They crash it.

Stooch
10-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Be advised that if you purchased windows vista at the store, you may be eligible for a free windows 7 upgrade.

just ordered mine, $10 shipping and handling is all i needed to pay :)

newfan
10-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Unless you're stuck with Vista or looking to buy a new computer, I don't see any compelling reason to update to Windows 7 so soon.
I would rather wait a couple months until the first updates are released.

DiscreetFX
10-27-2009, 08:18 PM
@newfan

Very true

cresshead
10-27-2009, 08:22 PM
my next new o/s will most probably be osx snow cat or whatever apple call it!
i'm just fine with xp and will put up with vista on my current crop of pc's...no need to upgrade them...so next would be a new pc and i'll probably get a new mac in 2010
THEN i may put win7 on bootcamp ready for 3dsmax2011 !

Matt
10-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Normally that would be true for a new OS release by Microsoft, but actually, Windows 7 is very solid. Not a single issue at all so far, it seems snappier, and the faster boot / shutdown is actually true!

I wish I'd taken a screenshot of my available memory in Vista compared to what I have now, it apparently uses less resources, as it offloads a lot of the Aero UI stuff to the graphics card.

jasonwestmas
10-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Normally that would be true for a new OS release by Microsoft, but actually, Windows 7 is very solid. Not a single issue at all so far, it seems snappier, and the faster boot / shutdown is actually true!

I wish I'd taken a screenshot of my available memory in Vista compared to what I have now, it apparently uses less resources, as it offloads a lot of the Aero UI stuff to the graphics card.

Do you notice an increase in loading speed in Win7? Vista is constantly pre-loading stuff it seems. I thought I turned that feature off. :P

DiscreetFX
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
@cresshead

Snow Leopards love eating Windows in the wild mountains.

:thumbsup:

IMI
10-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Unless you're stuck with Vista or looking to buy a new computer, I don't see any compelling reason to update to Windows 7 so soon.

Hmmm... your first and only post on the NewTek discussion board and it's about Windows 7. No, that's not suspicious at all. :D

The first updates have already been released. It's called Windows 7 RTM and it was released on October 22nd, after a year of public beta testing that was far more extensive than any other MS operating system.
The RTM has also been available for a few months prior to the official release, for members of MSDN and TechNet. It is, IMO, the most ready-to-use-out-of-the-box Windows version yet.

IMI
10-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Do you notice an increase in loading speed in Win7? Vista is constantly pre-loading stuff it seems. I thought I turned that feature off. :P

Vista is more hyperactive with Superfetch than Win 7, and it seems to not really like being turned off.
Windows 7's Superfetch seems a little "smarter" somehow, like it doesn't assume that because you had Photoshop, LightWave, XSI and ZBrush all opened one day for 6 hours, that you want to do that *all* the time.

Even so, cached RAM loads faster than free RAM.
But to answer your question, yeah I think Windows 7 loads apps slightly faster, although I'm not sure if it has anything to do with cached RAM or not.

OTOH, I never thought Vista was particularly "slow" in any respects, and Windows 7 just "feels" faster somehow, though if that's really true it's probably more perception than fact. Personally a speed of maybe a second or two in loading time for a program isn't that big of a deal to me.
But over the course of a year you may save about 5 minutes of time waiting for LW to load. ;)

OnlineRender
10-28-2009, 02:17 AM
I hate too many icons on my desktop, it ruins the background and it forces you to minimize everything to start an icon. The only icon I have is the trashcan :)

I prefer my DOpus docked toolbar at the bottom and launch every app from there. Much more flexibility and power... and a clean desktop.

you should see my desktop them , its over 2 screens of icons , lol

Although having stuff sitting on your desktop does kill performance [FACT]

Boris Goreta
10-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Here are some facts about startup times for programs for Win7 64 bit.

Photoshop CS4: 3 seconds
Combustion 2008: 2 seconds
Google Chrome: instant
Messiah Studio: 4 seconds

That is pretty snappy if you ask me :o

COBRASoft
10-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Some more timings on my Win 7 64 bit:
- Visual Studio 2008 (with CodeRush and so): 1 second
- SQL Server 2008 Management Studio: instant
- Word 2007: instant
- Internet Explorer 8: instant

Myagi
10-28-2009, 08:00 AM
there are quite a few things I don't like (UI-wise), but THE single worst, and coincidentally also the most idiotic "design" decision is, why in god's name remove the option for "Always on top" for the taskbar??? it's an option, how can it be bad or annoy anyone (especially if hidden as a registry key only)?

now it forces always on top and there's not even a registry fix for it, it's an option that has been there since win95, why on earth remove it? To make this move even more boneheaded, I found posts on the net indicating that earlier win7 builds still had a registry key for it but it was later removed.

This might not seem like a big deal to most, but to me it's a huge deal as the taskbar is something that's always there no matter what you do so to speak, and I loathe the auto-hide method aswell as the screw-your-fullscreen-always-on-top method.

jasonwestmas
10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Vista is more hyperactive with Superfetch than Win 7, and it seems to not really like being turned off.
Windows 7's Superfetch seems a little "smarter" somehow, like it doesn't assume that because you had Photoshop, LightWave, XSI and ZBrush all opened one day for 6 hours, that you want to do that *all* the time.

Even so, cached RAM loads faster than free RAM.
But to answer your question, yeah I think Windows 7 loads apps slightly faster, although I'm not sure if it has anything to do with cached RAM or not.

OTOH, I never thought Vista was particularly "slow" in any respects, and Windows 7 just "feels" faster somehow, though if that's really true it's probably more perception than fact. Personally a speed of maybe a second or two in loading time for a program isn't that big of a deal to me.
But over the course of a year you may save about 5 minutes of time waiting for LW to load. ;)

Sure, I understand the concept of caching the Ram to speed up loading. In the mean time it seems vista is dancing the tango with my hard drive when it's not needed. As a result I get these brief moments of my computer hanging when using large file sizes in Zbrush and other programs. Does superfetch try to cache files for applications too or just the applications themselves?

JMCarrigan
10-28-2009, 08:05 AM
...Although having stuff sitting on your desktop does kill performance [FACT]

What if they're hidden? :stumped:

dee
10-28-2009, 09:57 AM
there are quite a few things I don't like (UI-wise), but THE single worst, and coincidentally also the most idiotic "design" decision is, why in god's name remove the option for "Always on top" for the taskbar??? it's an option, how can it be bad or annoy anyone (especially if hidden as a registry key only)?

now it forces always on top and there's not even a registry fix for it, it's an option that has been there since win95, why on earth remove it? To make this move even more boneheaded, I found posts on the net indicating that earlier win7 builds still had a registry key for it but it was later removed.

This might not seem like a big deal to most, but to me it's a huge deal as the taskbar is something that's always there no matter what you do so to speak, and I loathe the auto-hide method aswell as the screw-your-fullscreen-always-on-top method.

Same here, really annoying. :cursin:

Right now I'm looking for a replacement for the taskbar. ObjectDock has an option to turn off the W7 taskbar completely, and there's also Rocketdock wich I have to try out.:grumpy:

IMI
10-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Sure, I understand the concept of caching the Ram to speed up loading. In the mean time it seems vista is dancing the tango with my hard drive when it's not needed. As a result I get these brief moments of my computer hanging when using large file sizes in Zbrush and other programs. Does superfetch try to cache files for applications too or just the applications themselves?

Sounds like you have disk indexing turned on then. I thought you meant superfetch, since you had said "Vista is constantly pre-loading stuff it seems."
As far as I know, that disk thrashing is only caused by indexing, which will constantly be monitoring the activity on all your HDDs unless you turn it off. All it does is speed up file searching by indexing the location of each and every single file on your drives.
You can turn that off in the Properties panel for each of your drives.

There have been many people complaining that that still happens even with disk indexing turned off, so if that's the case I don't know what to tell you. I myself haven't had that problem on any of the PCs I built.
One thing you could do is open up Task Manager and go to Resource Monitor and under the Disk tab watch what files are being written to and read from and see if you can determine if there's some "service" causing it and shut that down.

Liber777
10-28-2009, 10:34 AM
If I could just get the title bar and taskbar to go opaque when I maximize a window, I'd be happy.

OnlineRender
10-28-2009, 11:16 AM
What if they're hidden? :stumped:

In short "YES" but in win7 you won't notice it , you can use Icon Processor 3.0 to help :)

peace

Matt
10-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Although having stuff sitting on your desktop does kill performance [FACT]

I have noticed that in Vista and XP actually, but my Windows 7 desktop is clean at the moment. But I wonder what Windows is doing to slow things down by having icons on the desktop?

Matt
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
there are quite a few things I don't like (UI-wise), but THE single worst, and coincidentally also the most idiotic "design" decision is, why in god's name remove the option for "Always on top" for the taskbar???

Not quite the same, but auto-hide is still there.

OnlineRender
10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I have noticed that in Vista and XP actually, but my Windows 7 desktop is clean at the moment. But I wonder what Windows is doing to slow things down by having icons on the desktop?
edit:we had big discusion over at vista forums ,cant find the thread but .... something to with memory
cache and partition sectors ,effectivly its eating space and when its on desktop it's even worse ! because the desktop is there for speed everything gets "TEMPT" for speed SORRY 1 HANDED BABY BOTTLE FEED TYPIN :)
I have a bad habit of downloading things direct to desktop , all folders should be super organized , but I do enough of that at work :)

render_1_0ab_texture_example_jpeg_format.jpg

on my home pc its aassdda.jpg :P

re-edit ,Im not talking about startup time , thats obv , more when your pc idle ...

Myagi
10-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Not quite the same, but auto-hide is still there.

let me quote myself: "I loathe the auto-hide method" ;)

as silly as it might sound this is a show-stopper for me, if there isn't a fix/replacement (by third party or myself) in the very near future I'll look elsewhere for my windowing needs (XP and linux).

OnlineRender
10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2200-taskbar-auto-hide-turn-off.html

Myagi
10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2200-taskbar-auto-hide-turn-off.html

thanks, already have that turned off :) the issue is that all previous windows versions had an additional option called "Always on top" which I turn off. In win7 however it's hardcoded to always be on top without giving the user the choice (not even via registry editing).

wacom
10-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Just installed it yesterday. Over all it's a huge improvement, and for once half the "features" they tout actually work and are an "aid" not an impediment. Will take a bit to get used to the the new nav stuff with how the bar now works...but I think it's a good addition.

The installation was much easier than for vista and much faster too, at least on my machine. I think the only drivers I downloaded were the one for my intuos3 and another to update the on board NIC. I did a clean install not an upgrade after reading about certain issues with upgrading (you can do a clean install with the upgrade disc BTW and it's easy).

The only issue I ran into was that for some reason it was shutting down my Ethernet port. Half the time it worked...and half the time it didn't. This means no internet! Disabling the power off option for the device didn't do anything, only manually disabling it and enabling it in the device manager worked (thanks for the tip Mr. Jones). The driver from Asus seems to have worked though and I don't think the problem is there anymore.

Still have to hunt around to turn off all those dumb "pen and tablet" features. Why do they come on automatically and why are they such a pain to turn off?

I'd say it's a good upgrade, and almost washes the horrible bloatware taste of Vista out of my mouth.

JML
10-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I did not have any problem with vista64, but I really like windows 7.

I did those 2 modifs and it's a lot better I think :
- change thumbnail timings (from 400ms to 50ms for example)
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-adjust-taskbar-thumbnail-delay-time-in-windows-7/

- disable those 2 animation :
"animate windows when minimizing and maximize"
"animation in the taskbar and start menu"
(control panel->system->advanced system settings->performace->settings)

OnlineRender
10-29-2009, 03:07 AM
I just caught on TV there new I'M PC ,Windows 7 is my idea ,advert " I just snap this window here and that window to the side and this window to the side " .

I was like .............. " linux has done that for years the wobble window snap function ,as I like to call it " :)

OnlineRender
10-29-2009, 03:14 AM
I'd say it's a good upgrade, and almost washes the horrible bloatware taste of Vista out of my mouth.

Dont't say that are your trying to give Nerveko a nervious break down . . . . Vista Rules ...... hence why the overhauld and beta'd win 7 since the dawn of time .because sorry people " Vista we just got a good graphics artist in and forgot about the coding " but it looks nice ................

Myagi
10-29-2009, 09:25 AM
and I discovered another very very annoying "feature" in win7. I work with quite a few windows open, all organized in certain way, it's an integral part of my workflow. Like project folder, script folders, data folders all there for quick direct overview and access. Apparently since win7 (possibly vista, haven't tried) MS doesn't deem it necessary to save window positions and sizes when restarting, only if an explorer window was open or not.

I can for the life of me not figure out what lima bean sized brain over at MS thinks those are good design decisions.

win95: save position/size aswell as minimized or not states (perfect)
win98 (maybe from 2k): saves position/size but no longer minimized state
win7 (from vista?): saves nothing expect the fact that the window was open

I like how MS improves useability with each version instead of putting resources on meaningless crap like animations and fades.. err :D

Trev.T
10-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Generally quite happy with windows 7

I suppose I'll get used the start menu. Had to pin lightwave - search function just couldn't pick it up!

Upgraded from XP64 just to get drivers for my video capture card.

This now works. but my wacom intuos2 and photoshop CS4 are arguing - pressure sensitivity is screwed. Works fine in CS, 3DC, etc.

There seems to be alot of talk about this in the Adobe forums but no definite answer.

Anyone getting the same?

JMCarrigan
10-29-2009, 10:38 AM
Dang Myagi, I too loved to turn off always on top. If I could get it back, I would and will if it ever becomes possible.

But 7 is much much better in every other way (after some tweaking here and there) that I have learned to live with it.

I'm acutually trying the autohide feature after reading yesterdays posts in this thread. I've never liked it because of the buttons along the bottom of Lightwave. I have to sneak up on 'em or the Taskbar pops up. D'oh!

Anyway, my new Yorky is barking at something.

wacom
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM
I just caught on TV there new I'M PC ,Windows 7 is my idea ,advert " I just snap this window here and that window to the side and this window to the side " .

I was like .............. " linux has done that for years the wobble window snap function ,as I like to call it " :)

There is a lot in the windows and OSX world that unfortunately gets touted as being original but is either a re-hash or a ripoff. Half the tech seems to go back to the 70's and bell labs or xerox. Oh well- still nice to have the features even if they're really are not innovative.

When and if Adobe CS runs just as good in Linux I'll switch in a heart beat!

Until then...I'm stuck with the "big two" OS makers, and appreciating new features for those OSes even if they are ripoffs.

Generally quite happy with windows 7

I suppose I'll get used the start menu. Had to pin lightwave - search function just couldn't pick it up!

Upgraded from XP64 just to get drivers for my video capture card.

This now works. but my wacom intuos2 and photoshop CS4 are arguing - pressure sensitivity is screwed. Works fine in CS, 3DC, etc.

There seems to be alot of talk about this in the Adobe forums but no definite answer.

Anyone getting the same?

Have you turned off all the pen and tablet touch features and services? There is one option that you have to go into some odd ball area and turn it off- and it's not in the touch and pen control panels OR the programs/features. You have to go into the admin tools, services, and find "tablet PC input service". Stop that, then right click on it, go to properties, and at the start up type drop down select disable. Maybe if you do that AND disable tablet PC stuff in all the other areas AND have installed the wacom drivers it will work better? Solved some issues for me.

Myagi
10-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Dang Myagi, I too loved to turn off always on top. If I could get it back, I would and will if it ever becomes possible.

But 7 is much much better in every other way (after some tweaking here and there) that I have learned to live with it.

IMHO there are two separate "halves" to judge. One is the the under-the-hood stuff, ie. performance, stability etc. The other is the UI, not if it looks pretty or not but workflow, unclutterness etc.

My problems are (so far) solely on the UI side, and there are quite a few. Some are really major, many are smaller, but nontheless the sum of all things results in this being the worst windows version I've used, in regard to UI/workflow (which for a GUI based software is pretty serious). You're not supposed to get frustrated all the time by the most trivial things, especially not when all those things have been working pretty damn well for around 15 years. IM(not so humble)O it's especially inexcusable to remove features which have been optional all along, but other signifficant things should be added as options if they want to remove them by default (even if only as registry keys).

I kinda get the feeling that they're getting away with way too much because of Vista. People that have been damaged by Vista see 7 as the savior that does everything better, while if you step back and compare with 2k/XP the downward slope becomes glaringly obvious :devil:

Nicolas Jordan
10-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Finally installed my copy of Windows 7 yesterday and I'm liking it so far.

wacom
10-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I guess I was oblivious to some of those older windows features. In all honesty I like the new GUI for the most part, and have not found it getting in my way anymore than any other windows. I have a tendency though to have a lot of windows open, but not be bouncing back and forth between them too much, so maybe I'm just not a heavy/power OS user?

I do have to agree that it's odd when that start taking features out...esp. good ones that probably didn't take a lot of resources to code.

It does seem very customizable though, so maybe some 3rd or 1st party powertoys and such will come out that will help ease your pain?

IMI
10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Windows Blinds, when I was using it with XP, had a totally excellent feauture where you could double click on the title bar and minimize it. Not to the taskbar, but just minimize it to a little floating strip, the same way you can minimize the Property Pages in Softimage|XSI. And you could have literally dozens of little minimized window "strips" floating around, as many as you wanted. I really miss that.
I'm really kind of surprised that's not built into Windows by now. I would think everyone in the world would want a feature like that.

IMI
10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I like how MS improves useability with each version instead of putting resources on meaningless crap like animations and fades.. err :D

And don't forget about the Gadgets!
Gotta have Gadgets you know! I can't do a damn thing without Gadgets- the more the better!

I'm not thrilled with it not remembering window size/position either. At least Vista remembered. Maybe if enough people gripe they'll change that back along with the "always on top" option. There might be a registry hack for window size/position, and if I find one I'll post it here.

I doubt there's anything that can be done about the taskbar though.

OnlineRender
10-29-2009, 01:46 PM
There might be a registry hack for window size/position, and if I find one I'll post it here.

ANSWER } www.sevenforums.com/.../13195-w7-will-not-remember-folder-positions-sizes.html

http://www.askvg.com/collection-of-registry-tweaks-for-windows-7/ - just a nice link

if you want something fun - try cheat engine and slow the ANY web page down "speed variable", I done it to beat my mates score for a crapy flash helicopter game :D
(edit) he went mental " but I was GOD for a day " :)
PEACE

IMI
10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
ANSWER } www.sevenforums.com/.../13195-w7-will-not-remember-folder-positions-sizes.html

http://www.askvg.com/collection-of-registry-tweaks-for-windows-7/ - just a nice link

if you want something fun - try cheat engine and slow the ANY web page down "speed variable", I done it to beat my mates score for a crapy flash helicopter game :D

PEACE

Thanks for the links!
I'll give those a try when I get a chance.

Myagi
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I found WindowManager earlier today, but a commercial third party app isn't really what I consider a solution to something that should JustWork(tm). A registry fix or at worst some free little helper app is ok, but paying to get explorer to remember my darn windows? I know there might be some irony in there writing this on the LW boards ;)

IMI
10-29-2009, 03:13 PM
BTW, this link that OnlineRender posted:
HERE (http://www.sevenforums.com/.../13195...ons-sizes.html)
is the same registry hack I posted earlier.

That's not what I was talking about. That I already have under control. I'm talking about the way it doesn't remember *specific* window locations and sizes.
For example, in Vista when I hit my programmed shortcut key to open My Documents, it would open on my main monitor all the time, and when I hit my programmed key for My Computer, it would open on my second monitor in the same location all the time. And the same for other *specific* folders. That's how I like it. :)

That registry hack does remember folder window size/position, among other things, but windows in Windows 7 now open at the same size/location, regardless of what *specific* folder you have selected. That's annoying.

I'm sure Microsoft figures your average dumb PeeCee user just goes about it all the same stupid way of navigating slooowwwlllyyy through a long hierarchy and didn't figure there might be those of us out here with shortcut keys mapped to programmable keyboards with different needs and different ways of working... They would probably say, "Who cares what friggin' monitor what folder opens on, just deal with it!" ;)

Even so, Windows 7 is good... Being able to dock folders on the side and create libraries is outstanding. :thumbsup:

Windows Media Player, unfortunately (and quite predictably), still sucks goat's balls, but all the better media players work fine on Windows 7 - VLC, DivX Player, Quick Time, Media Player Classic...

Trev.T
10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Have you turned off all the pen and tablet touch features and services? There is one option that you have to go into some odd ball area and turn it off- and it's not in the touch and pen control panels OR the programs/features. You have to go into the admin tools, services, and find "tablet PC input service". Stop that, then right click on it, go to properties, and at the start up type drop down select disable. Maybe if you do that AND disable tablet PC stuff in all the other areas AND have installed the wacom drivers it will work better? Solved some issues for me.

Thanks wacom - now woking perfectly.:thumbsup:

Back to Microsoft - how do you screw up a card game? Make the cards hard to read. Don't know if this was done for vista as well, but I preferred the XP visual style to that in 7. Much more readable.

not that I should be playing cards!

ken_g9
10-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Just installed Windows 7 Home Premium 2 days ago. Haven't encountered any issues so far...

Stooch
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM

because i have been using windows 7 RC for the past 6 months...

geothefaust
10-30-2009, 03:37 AM
...Snip...(thanks for the tip Mr. Jones)...Snip...

Still have to hunt around to turn off all those dumb "pen and tablet" features. Why do they come on automatically and why are they such a pain to turn off?

No problem dude. :)

Yeah they seem to have hidden or straight removed a lot of the standard options I'm noticing. Frankly it's a bit annoying. Over all though, I am am strangely happy with Win7. It's definitely better then vista so far, and I waited about 1.5 years to to even consider "upgrading" from XP to vista. It's relieving to see M$ actually take their customer base seriously for a damn change.

Argh, anyway.... Mocaw, thanks for the tip on the keyboard action... I had the same problem you mentioned the other day when I arrived at home. My KB wasn't frakking working! Luckily after what you mentioned, I was able to get an update quick to resolve the issue.

kvanover
10-30-2009, 06:42 AM

Regards john

John is absolutely right. I've been using it for months now. Its 100 times better then Vista. 2K\XP also have lower system requirements, so if your system isn't that new then stay with that. Win7 will run on those types of systems but you'll get more bang for your buck out of it with a newer PC.

IMI
10-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I have my Windows 7 RTM version now and almost everything reinstalled on it.
I had a major b1tch of a time getting my Wacom Intuos 3 to play nice in ZBrush though.
That is soooooo annoying - the way Windows 7 thinks that because you install a fancy expensive tablet, you're doing so to use the Windows stuff, so it completely takes over you driver settings.

Like, yeah, I bought it to write notes on my desktop and scribble around in Paint. No, that's okay, I have no plans on using it in Zbrush or Photoshop, so don't worry about any of that. :rolleyes:

In ZBrush (3.1 - I can't stand ZB 3.5 since they removed all the good stuff just to have ZSpheres 2), I was getting terribly slow performance, and couldn't even use the little slider hotkeyed to the S key, and that gray spinning donut.... every damn time I touched the pen to the tablet...

That didn't happen with RC1.

So, I had to disable the Tablet PC crap in Services, and disable all that crap in the Control Panel, AND, had to turn off Tablet PC crap in "Additional Windows Crippleware" options, or whatever they call it.

Finally got it all working right again, but man that was scary. I started thinking I was going to have to go back to RC1 or Vista until some patch was made or something. I don't remember having to go to that much trouble with either Vista or RC 1.

I haven't tried it in LW, but then I've never used a tablet in LW, but I imagine that disabling all that junk would solve Wacom/Win7 problems in all apps.

jasonwestmas
10-30-2009, 06:40 PM
yeah I don't appreciate that new tablet crap MS has and I don't appreciate how it mucks up my wacom.

danielkaiser
10-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Lightwave under Win7 has a few of the same strange redraw issue that were exhibited under Vista (leave a Lightwave Dropdown open too long and you get odd main screen redraw issues, and sometimes the dropdown is drawn in a different position), but they're minor. I assume that's because the DX screen compositor is basically the same between the two. And this may well be Lightwave's fault, not the OS.

Lightwave *feels* faster under Win7 than Vista; I've never actually benchmarked Lightwave, but I know from experience that Microsoft made some serious improvements to the task scheduler and memory manager, so I assume the feeling is the result of actual speed increases, especially during heavily multithreaded operation.

Otherwise the experience is virtually identical.

Please Fog this and if you havent joined the beta please do.

Myagi
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
just a little update on the taskbar always-on-top debacle. It appears I may have found a .. uh.. solution ;) , for now at least. Works with the 64bit version, not sure if it works across all editions and languages without further fixes. (Likely also needs to be the final 7600 build)

If any on-top and auto-hide haters are interested in trying, let me know.

IMI
11-04-2009, 10:36 AM
just a little update on the taskbar always-on-top debacle. It appears I may have found a .. uh.. solution ;) , for now at least. Works with the 64bit version, not sure if it works across all editions and languages without further fixes. (Likely also needs to be the final 7600 build)

If any on-top and auto-hide haters are interested in trying, let me know.

I would be interested in knowing how.
I don't have a problem with it because I've been putting my taskbar on the top of my second monitor where it's never in the way of anything anyway, and I've been doing that for a few years now, but I'd still like to know for when the subject comes up again.
I don't like to auto-hide it because I've always kept alot on my taskbar and like to have quick access to it all. But I know sooner or later someone I know is going to want to know how to do it if it's possible.

Myagi
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
it's not a "procedure", but an app that changes the behavior of explorer/taskbar, so there's not too much to describe. What it does is make some tiny changes to explorer.exe in memory, so it's non-intrusive in that it doesn't mess with registry or modify files. You just run it manually or put it in the Startup folder, and it runs and exits again immediately. If you don't like it you just throw away the exe, log out/in and everything is back to normal.

IMI
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
it's not a "procedure", but an app that changes the behavior of explorer/taskbar, so there's not too much to describe. What it does is make some tiny changes to explorer.exe in memory, so it's non-intrusive in that it doesn't mess with registry or modify files. You just run it manually or put it in the Startup folder, and it runs and exits again immediately. If you don't like it you just throw away the exe, log out/in and everything is back to normal.

Sounds cool.
A program you're writing, or did you forget to include a link? ;)

Myagi
11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Sounds cool.
A program you're writing, or did you forget to include a link? ;)

*cough* ;) will look into the link thing in a little bit

IMI
11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
That's cool, take your time. :)

jasonwestmas
11-04-2009, 11:04 AM
I h
I had a major b1tch of a time getting my Wacom Intuos 3 to play nice in ZBrush though.
That is soooooo annoying - the way Windows 7 thinks that because you install a fancy expensive tablet, you're doing so to use the Windows stuff, so it completely takes over you driver settings.

Like, yeah, I bought it to write notes on my desktop and scribble around in Paint. No, that's okay, I have no plans on using it in Zbrush or Photoshop, so don't worry about any of that. :rolleyes:

Ha,ha, yeah Micro-stuff don't worry about any of that, we artsy folk will find a way to not use our applications that we love in exchange for yours. I do a lot of hand writing in windows you know. ;)

Myagi
11-04-2009, 12:14 PM
what a coincidence, a link (http://www.filedropper.com/win7-disabletaskbarontop1) :)

Should it not be "compatible" for whatever reason, an error message will be displayed, if nothing happens it normally means it worked. Readme has further instructions.

IMI
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks Myagi, I'll check that out as soon as my other Windows 7 PC is freed up. :)

Boris Goreta
11-04-2009, 01:26 PM
thank you, it works here ! :)

warrenwc
11-04-2009, 06:05 PM
The bloom has faded a little.
I didn't REALLY expect Premier Elements 1 or After Effects 6.5 to run on 7 (even though they did on the RC), but every time Windows 7 restarts, it loses my internet connection.
The only way I can get it back is to Restart BOTH the modem & Win7 at the same time.
Vista64 never had this problem.

IMI
11-04-2009, 06:57 PM
The bloom has faded a little.
I didn't REALLY expect Premier Elements 1 or After Effects 6.5 to run on 7 (even though they did on the RC), but every time Windows 7 restarts, it loses my internet connection.
The only way I can get it back is to Restart BOTH the modem & Win7 at the same time.
Vista64 never had this problem.

Just a long shot guess here, but do you by chance have the Kaspersky suite running? That was happening to me with the kaspersky beta for Win 7 x64 and I had to uninstall it eventually. It was a DNS acquisition thingy, which I don't know enough about to explain, but adding additional ports would solve the problem temporarily, but they would get shut down soon enough too.
If not Kaspersky though, my guess is a firewall problem, not anything specifically having to do with Win 7.

IMI
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
thank you, it works here ! :)

Yep, I tried it on my secondary PC with Win 7 and it does work. Thanks again. :)

JMCarrigan
11-05-2009, 08:08 AM
...Should it not be "compatible" for whatever reason, an error message will be displayed, if nothing happens it normally means it worked. Readme has further instructions.

Hot Dawg! I likey. Thanks.

OnlineRender
11-05-2009, 08:32 AM
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/8801-make-windows-7-remember-window-positions-size.html

sorry IMI missunderstood what you meant !

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/

warrenwc
11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Just a long shot guess here, but do you by chance have the Kaspersky suite running? That was happening to me with the kaspersky beta for Win 7 x64 and I had to uninstall it eventually. It was a DNS acquisition thingy, which I don't know enough about to explain, but adding additional ports would solve the problem temporarily, but they would get shut down soon enough too.
If not Kaspersky though, my guess is a firewall problem, not anything specifically having to do with Win 7.

Thanks, but no.
I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials.
It's free & I figured, likely to be the least trouble.

IMI
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks, but no.
I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials.
It's free & I figured, likely to be the least trouble.

Have you tried using the connection troubleshooter?
If it returns errors for failure to acquire DNS settings, there's your culprit - whatever is causing it.
What all is not connecting? Just internet? Can you connect to a POP3 email account via a client side email program? Home network?
I ask because when I was having my problems, I could receive email through Eudora, and my Steam account connected, as well as my home network, but nothing through a browser would go through.

warrenwc
11-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Toubleshooter can't find ANYTHING.
& I'm just not connected. I'm running a cable modem through a Lynksys Wireless G router & the whole thing is just invisible to Win7 Until I reset it all.
Not sure if it's a firmware thing or a Windows thing.(the PC in question is wired to the router.)

Larry_g1s
11-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Anybody having a problem with the hub not being recognized?

Nevermind: Evenflcw helped me out. Basically started the Hub.exe manually.

dee
11-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks Myagi, works fine on german W7. :thumbsup:

JMCarrigan
11-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Hum. My computer just shut down when I did something in Photoshop CS3. I wonder. Shut down as if there were a massive power failure. Haven't had one of those in 2 or three days. Even if there were one, I'm on a UPS.

Amurrell
11-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I just built a new system, and have been having a lot of problems lately. Aside from the MOBO being less than perfect, and not initializing my PS/2 connections (USB works great) I have been having Windows 7 bring up the classic BSOD on me a few times and at weird times. I have done some research on this and there are several studies done on this. This is the partial list for Windows 7.
1) BSOD on high bandwidth transfers through LAN (happened twice for me)
2) BSOD caused due to memory leak (happened a coupe of times to me as well with message saying "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"
3) BSOD with certain security suites (possible connection with memory management difficulties)
4) BSOD due to MOBO drivers not up to date for Win 7 (I am still having issues here)

Like I said this is just a few of the problems that I have run into, and at the time of this writing I have finally got the system running fairly stable (no BSOD, but did have a lock up trying to set a restore point after my 4th attempt of installing the drivers for my vid card). Maybe it's just me though, but I have not had half the problems (none on my last build) as I have had with this system, or previous Microsoft OS (save for the joke of ME). Almost wanted to trash the OS and install my Vista Ultimate.

Just now had a "super fetch stopped working" immediately after this post. What the heck?

IMI
11-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Hum. My computer just shut down when I did something in Photoshop CS3. I wonder. Shut down as if there were a massive power failure. Haven't had one of those in 2 or three days. Even if there were one, I'm on a UPS.

You must have activated the Suspicious Sudden Shutdown tool.
That was an easter egg in CS3 I remember, which would randomly replace the hand, move or zoom tool, and sometimes be linked to the OK button in certain operations. Very bad idea, IMO. ;)

Edit: What was it in CS3 you tried to do, anyway?

IMI
11-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I just built a new system, and have been having a lot of problems lately. Aside from the MOBO being less than perfect, and not initializing my PS/2 connections (USB works great) I have been having Windows 7 bring up the classic BSOD on me a few times and at weird times. I have done some research on this and there are several studies done on this. This is the partial list for Windows 7.
1) BSOD on high bandwidth transfers through LAN (happened twice for me)
2) BSOD caused due to memory leak (happened a coupe of times to me as well with message saying "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"
3) BSOD with certain security suites (possible connection with memory management difficulties)
4) BSOD due to MOBO drivers not up to date for Win 7 (I am still having issues here)

Like I said this is just a few of the problems that I have run into, and at the time of this writing I have finally got the system running fairly stable (no BSOD, but did have a lock up trying to set a restore point after my 4th attempt of installing the drivers for my vid card). Maybe it's just me though, but I have not had half the problems (none on my last build) as I have had with this system, or previous Microsoft OS (save for the joke of ME). Almost wanted to trash the OS and install my Vista Ultimate.

Just now had a "super fetch stopped working" immediately after this post. What the heck?

Offhand I'd say you have a bad RAM module or maybe even a bad RAM slot, since you say it's "less than perfect".
If I were you I would try the Memory Diagnostic Tool in Windows and see what it says, as well as Memtest - Click Here (http://www.memtest.org/).
Memtest is a program you have to burn to a CD and run from it by booting from CD and it's extremely thorough. It's worth a try at least.
As for all those other problems, I've not seen any of that but I'd guess those are caused by bad drivers and/or cheap hardware.

Amurrell
11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm running an 800w PS, so I think I'm getting enough power, and when I tried to respond the first time, I did have a crash, opened the system monitor and it had all the cores pegged at 100% for some reason. I don't know what the heck is going on, but I will try a mem test, thanks for the advise IMI.

IMI
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
You're welcome, Andrew, and I hope it helps you. :)
Don't be confused by the "86" on Memtest86 - it works for x64 too.
It helped me once to track down a bad RAM slot on an Asus mobo. Windows was showing 8 GB of RAM in that machine and for all intents and purposes everything *looked* OK, but was not OK. Random crashes, weird errors and so on. But Memtest helped me pin down exactly which slot was bad.

Amurrell
11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, I tell you what, at 79% completion, I have had 2161 errors at such and such address at the 5000+ MB mark, so now I need to put this all together on whether or not this is the slot or the module itself. If I am understanding this right, this would be my #3 memory module (the last 1/3 of the 6GB) There was one error earlier that I thought had said chanel 1... oops 2167 errors now...anyway good call on the memtest86+. Errors being found at the 1048MB region and the 5000-6000MB region. Did I get bad memory then?

Total now at 2168..hmmm.

Looks like I'll have to go down to 4GB dual channel until I can remedy the situation.

Thanks again IMI...If you have any further suggestions for me on this you can PM me instead of us hijacking the thread :). Thanks again!

IMI
11-07-2009, 04:54 PM
The best way I can think of is to now run the test with each RAM module in each slot - one at a time - and slowly narrow it down.
Like, put one module in the first slot, run the test, try the same module in the second slot, run the test, and so on. Then if you get all your slots with that one module showing no errors, repeat it with the next module. I'd say chances are better it's a bad slot, than a bad module, so you should get a tentative answer soon enough, but even so, should continue until you've tested all modules in all slots. Because you could have been unlucky enough to get both a bad module and a bad mobo. Hopefully it's just one module though, and not the mobo. :)
That's probably the best way to *conclusively* determine where the problem is, although obviously it takes some time doing it that way. At least that way you'll know whether to RMA one of your modules or the motherboard.

Glad to help, and don't worry about hijacking the thread - there's not much left to say about Win 7 anyway, and if you read all these other forums here there really is no such thing as hijacking around here anyway. ;)

Amurrell
11-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I think I ended up having a bad mobo. The memory range that goes bad is the same regardless of the module that is in the slot. It appears that the last one in line is the bad one, eventhough the pretty LEDs say the status is fine. I'll continue swapping until I find something that leads me to the answer. Mobos are a pain to RMA, I would have much rather have it be a module. Anyway, thanks for all of your help.

IMI
11-08-2009, 04:46 AM
Man, I'm sorry to hear it was your board, but glad I was able to help you figure it out quickly enough. Hopefully the RMA process will go quickly for you.
Better now than six months from now at least. ;)

OnlineRender
11-08-2009, 06:02 AM
dual boot was easier than I thought .

XP
Win 7 and
Linux just incase they go wrong :D

Dodgy
11-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Along the lines of annoying things that used to work in 2k but now don't, I hate the fact that if i select one or more files, it doesn't tell me how big they are on disk anymore (in vista), and I have to bring up the properties panel to find this out.

I also hate that you can't drag and drop images onto the image viewer in vista anymore, only double click and open more and more image viewer windows, and we still can't view a sizeable number of popular types of image file by default. It really annoys me that MS keep adding new 'features' when it ignores stuff that really should be in the os....

Amurrell
11-08-2009, 06:26 AM
Man, I'm sorry to hear it was your board, but glad I was able to help you figure it out quickly enough. Hopefully the RMA process will go quickly for you.
Better now than six months from now at least. ;)

I spoke too early about this. I rotated the modules around at first, and got errors on two slots, then I did one at a time in a slot that hadn't really reported any errors (hadn't changed around this module yet at the time). Tested the original one twice and it passed, put the second one in that slot... fail...so restrat the test... fail. Took it out, put the third one in and fail... one more test...fail. Went back to the original that I had seated there the first time... pass. In the end I flashed the BIOS with an update that is supposed to improve compatibility with memory, and haven't tested again (at work now, and I highly doubt that this will solve the issue), but will try later. How it's looking now seems more and more like 2:3 of the modules were bad. Talk about a statistical quandry. Fingers crossed with the modules, much rather send those back.

At this point I'm just bouncing off ideas to people and seeing if this sounds like a reasonable assessment.

JMCarrigan
11-08-2009, 06:34 AM
You must have activated the Suspicious Sudden Shutdown tool... Edit: What was it in CS3 you tried to do, anyway?

LOL! I had that TSR program running that keeps the Win7 Taskbar underneath everything until I want it.

Then in PSCS3, I was working on a [selected] part of a very large image I was gonna be sending to a 42 inch wide piece of canvas.

I somehow finished whatever I was doing by selecting a new tool or clicked okay to something (can't buhmember) and BANG! I thought the power went out for a nanosecond.

Never happened before. Hasn't happened again. It was the Suspicious Sudden Shutdown tool as you said.

Myagi
11-08-2009, 07:27 AM
LOL! I had that TSR program running that keeps the Win7 Taskbar underneath everything until I want it.

just to clarify it isn't a TSR app, it exits right away after you run it. It just makes two harmless (yes yes, I know, famous last words) modifications in memory. One is changing a constant value from HWND_TOPMOST to HWND_NOTOPMOST and the other is is basically changing "if (a) ShowTaskbar() else HideTaskbar()" to "if (a) ShowTaskbar() else ShowTaskbar()".

While there are of course no guarantees in software, especially MS ;) I think chances are good that the shutdown was related to something else.

JMCarrigan
11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
just to clarify it isn't a TSR app, it exits right away after you run it. It just makes two harmless (yes yes, I know, famous last words) modifications in memory. One is changing a constant value from HWND_TOPMOST to HWND_NOTOPMOST and the other is is basically changing "if (a) ShowTaskbar() else HideTaskbar()" to "if (a) ShowTaskbar() else ShowTaskbar()".

While there are of course no guarantees in software, especially MS ;) I think chances are good that the shutdown was related to something else.

OH! I was really reporting what I had done right before the shutdown. I doubted it was the little taskbar help stay under app. And thanks for the app that's not a TSR by de way.

Myagi
11-21-2009, 08:28 PM
If anyone wanted folders to keep track of their window size and position, there's a possible alternative to Window Manager. Can be found here (http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-folder-window-positions-size.html).

dgrigo
11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I prefer to use the windows key to open taskbar at my will, so it never overlaps the screen or popup when you try to access options on the bottom of the screen.
Havn't used it so much yet, as i thought it will be of interest to some of you, but it works fine atm and if you dont want to press the windows key just hover the mouse only to the small area of the start menu blob.
It runs and stays on the notify area, so good to put it on startup.
Just select autohide and have the Pushtoshow running on your computer.

link
http://www.brothersoft.com/pushtoshow-167193.html
It uses a compiled script from http://www.autohotkey.com/

Best
Dinos