PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed on NTSC versus VGA-SVGA

bluesmike
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
I have little to no experience with NTSC, so I'm not sure what the post-render possibilities are but here is my problem: I rendered out and composited a video for a client (extremely rush job) at 640x480, standard VGA.

Now someone else at the client's firm wants, and this is his terms, DV/NTSC, progressive and not interlaced.

My question is, considering that we're dealing with two different pixel aspect ratios, not to mention frame sizes, is there any way to translate one into the other? Or is he looking at having me rerender the job at D1 NTSC?

And speaking of this, what is the difference between DV/NTSC and D1/NTSC, if any? And what is the difference between D1 and D2 (besides the obvious difference in frame size and pixel aspect ratio which I see in the dialog box)? What are the uses of each?

If anyone can answer these questions, or point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. As usual, I'm under the gun to come up with a solution, one way or the other.

Mike

Silkrooster
10-01-2009, 05:44 PM
If I recall D1 is something like 720x480, so the actual frame size, the pixel ratio and black & white values are different than standard vga. If you have photoshop or after effect they have filters for seeing how much white and black will be clipped, which you can then change on your own. The filters aren't a smooth gradation which is why the tutorials I have seen recommend that you use them just for a preview.
Richard Harrington had a tutorial about converting to NTSC but I think Creative Cow took over the podcast.

Danner
10-01-2009, 07:05 PM
D1 is 720x486 DV is 720x480 The fielding is reversed if I remebmer right. If you rendered it out at 640x480 square pixel aspect ratio, progressive (non interlaced) and you stretch it out to either of those resolutions it will look fine. (not perfect but fine)

If it was rendered out as interlaced and they want progressive it's a little harder to do but it is be possible with the right tools (Aura/mirage or a compositor like afterFX) and knowledge.