PDA

View Full Version : Can Lightwave Track Moving Video?

ZachSchuster
09-30-2009, 07:52 PM
We will soon be done installing a green screen in the studio at the school I work at. We will mostly be doing static shots or very simple camera movements. Nevertheless, I will be waiting for the intrepid student wanting to do something bigger and better.

I came across this link for visual effects, in the videos they use Maya: http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/vfx_sampleclips.html

In the trailer video, the very first shot is from a pixel tracking program defining track points. The video cuts to a 3D rendered shot with the live talent placed in the virtual environment. The camera motion and virtual motion track perfectly. The video goes on to show many other examples, including a T-Rex chase with tree limbs breaking, etc...

Does Lightwave have the ability to pixel track and/or key in this manner?

I'm not looking for a tutorial (but if one exists, please direct me to it!), but am just researching options right now for the best software.

Thanks!

jameswillmott
09-30-2009, 08:25 PM
No. You;ll have to use a dedicated tracker, LW can't do it. ( It can do simple pans ok, but not automatically )

ranhell
09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
You can try this app it shoud do what you want...it should match your camera moves inside of lightwave .....:D

http://www.ssontech.com/synovu.htm

shrox
09-30-2009, 09:16 PM
This works great for windows, VooDoo motion tracker:

http://www.digilab.uni-hannover.de/download.html

ZachSchuster
10-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the links. I have only the basic experience with 3D applications, but am a quick study.

So, if I use an external tracker, that application will allow me to save some sort of motion path file with the X, Y, and Z axis positioning over a period of time? Then I can import those coordinates into LW and link it to the camera?

jameswillmott
10-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Basically, yes.

Trackers normally output a LightWave scene file for you, with the camera motion already set up.

ZachSchuster
10-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Hmmm... so, I have my video from the green screen shoot, and that screen has track markers on it.

I have a virtual set created in LW.

What it the next step? Do I track the motion in the tracking software, then bring that motion file into LW, or import the virtual set and the video into the tracker?

jameswillmott
10-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Import footage into tracking software. Track the motion. Export a LW scene/motion file.

Import that camera motion into your virtual set scene.

ZachSchuster
10-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Got it. So I would end up having two video files, one of the green screen and one of the rendered virtual set.

I import both into, say, Adobe After Effects, key out the green and overlay it on the rendered clip.

Now, If I have foreground objects, I would have to render two clips? One with the background objects, and one with the foreground? I would imagine LW lets you render things with certain objects hidden, yes?

jameswillmott
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, you have got it.

And yes, you can render the foreground objects separately (others hidden ) and layer it on later.

ranhell
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
looks like james willmott is on a roll.....once you do it a couple of times its like a walk in the park......:thumbsup: