PDA

View Full Version : Level-Of-Detail Mesh Refinement

rapscallion
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Hello. Has anyone gotten this to work with 9.3.1? Back in 2004 someone had posted with this same problem, and there were zero replies. Basically, I set it up and things seem to work when I render off still frames at each distance range, but when I try to render the animated sequence it crashes before it even gets through the first frame of the render. This happens with tiny objects of less than 100 polys, and with larger objects in the 10's of thousands. Can anyone here confirm that this feature actually works properly and possibly offer suggestions for why it doesn't work for me?

Lightwave 9.3.1 (32 bit)
XP 64
8-core XEON
8GB Ram

Thanks for any input.

wtb...ftv...jpr

JonW
09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
If you post the scene (or a proxy of the scene that has the same problem) some of us will have a stab at it.

rapscallion
09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Alright...well...I have to withdraw me question from earlier today and chalk the experience up to the "good ol' lightwave" phenomenon...I'm sure you are all aware of what I speak...you know...one minute something works, then suddenly it doesn't, or - as in this case - something just won't work right up until you try to show someone, then: VOILA! It works perfectly. And that's what happened here. For whatever reason, I watched my machine crash close to a dozen times while experimenting with this plug-in today, and now as I was preparing a scene file to upload for all of you to experiment with, it has started to work and refuses to repeat the crash :o

I have never been one to openly bash my sweet sweet mistress LW, but I am for the first time going officially on record right now as saying that I wouldn't mind just a bit more predictability from her.

Thanks to JonW and anyone else who gave this even a moment of thought.

...wtb...ftv...jpr...

JonW
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Glad that it worked!

Just noticed your V8 has 8gb ram & you seem to be using 32 bit LW. Get the 64 bit version, there is no point allowing your ram to be on holiday taking it easy. Also LW 9.6 is faster.

Nangleator
10-01-2009, 06:48 AM
... the "good ol' lightwave" phenomenon...
I'm fairly sure NewTek could earn some serious money if they could extract the mind-reading modules from the software and sell it to the government. The government could then, at the very least, detect people with looming deadlines who have every right to expect their tools and talents to work well until their work is completed...

How come a carpenter can use his hammer for years and still expect it to drive a nail into wood, and not... say... shear a line of studs in half behind him one nice morning?