PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Labs launches Project Twitch (Cloud Computing)

robertoortiz
09-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Autodesk Labs has launched a new cloud computing solution called Project Twitch for remote delivery and access to applications. The current list of supported apps does not include any M&E products but Maya 2010 is a possible future addition according to the site.

The current version is for product trials and does not allow you to upload, download, or save ....

http://www.develop3d.com/2009/09/autodesk-launches-twitch-hosted-web-app.html

Rob note:

think I need to say this because I want to point to this thread in the future...

Guys
For the better or worst, this is a game changer for the industry...

Dont take this news lightly. This will affect how the world will do CG in the near future.
Research this.

Andyjaggy
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Sounds like an awful idea. I really hope this doesn't become the new way of running applications. way too many potential issues. But I'm sure Autodesk likes the idea, it gives them complete and utter control over their users and what they do with their software, that's right up their alley.

hunter
09-29-2009, 04:43 PM
This is exactly what google wants to happen too.
Be afraid.

JonW
09-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Apart from privacy & confidentiality in contracts, copyright, spying & plagiarising your process & selling them back as plugins, my W5580 V8 24gb & a couple of large screens...... its too slow as it is, & I have total control over it.

Some scenes take 15 minutes to load over a gigabit network with a handful of i7s. I would hate to think how long it would take to process externally. Let alone the fees for all the data, someone will be making money & I know it won’t be me.

Then moving to 2d, making changes here & there to one lousy image from a 21mp camera (some of you will be using P65 camera backs) to be used in a 3d scene..... my head is spinning with the implications!

The way I see it is that you would have to have everything on your system anyway & the be connected t o the internet to have your keys loaded. So what’s the point! Then the spying starts!

None of my computers I use for rendering are connected to the internet, it just makes life so much easier.

I also get a stack of blackouts, last year 6 were over an hour plus numerous small ones. The infrastructure is just not being replaced. I can keep working for hours when everything else grinds to a halt. Even the briefest of blackouts is extremely painful if your system isn’t capable.

The more one is connected & reliant on a system as a whole, the more back up procedures & resources & security you will need to provide at your expense both in time & money.

Computing in this direction will be about gouging more from the individual. lt’s about externalising the costs & internalising the profits.

cresshead
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
posted last week...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102230

JonW
09-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Also..... We will be going back to the good old days.

I remember in the 80s, head office had a mainframe & we had terminals all around the country & our main customers had terminals in their premises. I even had a terminal at home so I could work remotely.

Whoever runs the system will know & can utilise every single key stroke you make.

JonW
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
As mentioned in Cresshead’s link....

We had access to 3- 4 months data on line, & depending on your security access you could see everything that was done. Then everything was archived for at least 7 years, legal requirement, very convenient so to speak!

The data was also very useful for sales, marketing. & I sure having the potential for spurious situations. You could see which customers got what contracts by their purchasing & it wasn’t to difficult to extrapolate where money was moving around the industry & associated industries & on the larger projects, & who the end user was. This sort of information in the hands of the self interested can undermine the small business trying to do an honest days work.

Scale this up to today's computer power, & the mind boggles.

robertoortiz
09-29-2009, 07:31 PM
Ok Ill throw this one out there...

What will happen to the third party Plug-in market for Autodesk products?

cresshead
09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok Ill throw this one out there...

What will happen to the third party Plug-in market for Autodesk products?

well nothing is set in stone..it's a dev lab thing currently...
can't really see major studios signing up to this as an idea.

where i can see this taking off [if it ever dose] would be in schools and for demoing the software 'online'

SplineGod
09-29-2009, 08:35 PM
I dont see anyone who deals with sensitive information, from the govt to private businesses, signing up for such a thing.
I agree that AD will find more use for it internally and schools which tend to be some of the largest pirates of software already... :)

robertoortiz
09-30-2009, 06:19 AM
To be honest, I am sure this is the direction that the company wishes it could take.
The reason for them to do this are simple, ecomonics and control.

If do a little research, you will find that organizations are moving to the cloud en masse. Merril Lynch predicts value of cloud marketplace to be > $160 Billion by 2011.

Gartner projects that Software as a Service (Saas) cloud computing will continue to grow at an annual compound growth rate of more than 22% in the same period.

It is cheaper for them to develop for only one code base.(The one of their servers)
It is more efficient for them dealing with the rampant piracy of their products if there is only one way to use the code.

It is easier to get the student to accept this concept if this is the way the learn to do 3D at school.

And I about the US Goverment going for this...
Well there is an article I would read:

5 lessons from DOD's cloud computing efforts (http://gcn.com/articles/2009/09/28/warren-suss-5-lessons-of-dod-cloud-computing.aspx?sc_lang=en)

cresshead
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
GET IT DONE to coin newtek's phrase...

here's an idea...make core beta a cloud beta..NO installs, just log on...
if 'cloud' is the future what are newtek doing making 3 o/s versions??
make 1 cloud version...done deal....no hardware issues.
your HC membership would entitle you to run Core on any net connected pc...any o/s per year.

you could run Core from a netbook maybe even an iphone [okay enough of the iphone hype!!]
any net connected pc..the days of huge graphics cards...overwith...history...
your connected to a newtek cloud based renderfarm too...

if this really is the FUTURE then newtek and others need to 'get with it' and not knock it....

Ernest
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
I dont see anyone who deals with sensitive information, from the govt to private businesses, signing up for such a thing.
I agree that AD will find more use for it internally and schools which tend to be some of the largest pirates of software already... :)I don't see anyone who deals with sensitive information (or not) having a choice in the future. It seems that we're heading to a world where the only choices will be cloud software and open source software (which those companies/govt's tend to also reject today).

The only thing that is saving us from that, so far, is our beloved telcos. Thanks to their greed and inefficiency, our Internet speeds remain too stone-age for the cloud.

When every small rural home has a 300 MB/s connection, not even high performance applications will be offered as stand alone.

Once everyone has been convinced that they only need a netbook with a large monitor to run all the most processor/graphics-intensive apps, the barrier of entry to new competitors will rise exponentially.

New competitors will not be able to create software and sell it because nobody will have powerful computers that can run it. They will have to make a massive investment in infrastructure to be able to do all the processing for all their customers and stream it through the cloud.

robertoortiz
09-30-2009, 10:50 AM
well I am going to lunch so I have to keep it brief..

How to compete against the cloud...

I think the way Newtek should go is the opposite of cloud.
The cloud is something that is designed to help only BIG corporations.
If Newtek goes toe to toe with autodesk over this they will lose, since this is a BRUTE force approach to force change.

Cloud computing is just fancy marketing for something that is in effect the second coming of the mainframe...

I propose we call it MAINFRAME 2.0.

CORE should embrace instead distributed computing.

Imagine if every user of Lightwave, who had their machines connected to the web offered offered their version Lightwave as a render node.
Well the only thing you would need to do is click render on your machine and a encrypted version of your scene would be sent to an online render bucket that would seek worldwide avialable render nodes.

The advange of this approach is that you would be able to access this virtual render farm for any project.

This would be invisible to you since the processing of these scene is done in the backend by CORE.

I would follow the same design structure as bittorrent.

Ernest
09-30-2009, 11:11 AM
I would follow the same design structure as bittorrent.Not only for the code backend. It can also work the way that bittorrent sites work. For every minute that you allow others to render in your idle system, you gain credits that you can use towards rendering in other people's idle computers.