PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 Layout error: "Can't find object file"

JonnyL
09-28-2009, 05:56 PM
On a Mac running UB 9.6, and now get this message from Layout when accessing any model in any Content Directory - also when sending to Layout via Modeler:

"Can't find object file"

Any ideas please? Very annoying!

Cheers
Jon

biliousfrog
09-29-2009, 06:02 AM
Just to go over the basics, you're working from a content directory that has folders called 'objects', 'images' and 'scenes' and the objects are all in the object folder inside the directory you have specified in Layout?

What is quite common is when a scene accesses an object outside of the directory, perhaps because the directory has changed. As an example, if my content directory was on Steve\Documents and Settings\content and I sent to directory to you, the scene would search for objects at Steve\Documents and...etc.

I'm not sure why Lightwave does this but one way of fixing it is to:

load the scene

when prompted for the objects navigate to the object folder (it will probably open the correct folder anyway) and just hit enter or OK.

When all the objects are loaded, choose save all objects and save scene - hopefully it will remember the correct location.

BTW I'm not on a Mac so it might be something specific to that platform.

JonnyL
10-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks - it has just fixed itself with no intervention. Not sure why though.

Cheers
Jon

ingo
10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
This happens when a file or folder name contains foreign characters, very annoying (like the whole content folder system).

JonnyL
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
The problem returned so I tried renaming a folder and that solved it. Thanks Ingo!