PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....

adrian
09-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi All,

Just when I thought I had figured out the PLG tools!!!

I have a simple cube object (it's going to be a building) - not subpatch. When I set up a UV map for it with PLG, it distorts the mesh - see attached screenshot for details.

Why is this? It's just a plain cubic object with no booleans. The mesh was screwed up even more with booleans so I decided to model it without boolean-ing out the windows.

I can get around this in that the textures I'll be using will hopefully not be too obviously stretched, but this would be no good if I wanted to put text on the object.

Manually re-aligning the mesh does not help - the texture is still distorted.

Am I doing something stupid or is this something I'll have to live with? :2guns:

Castius
09-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Part of PLG's job is to maintain edge length from 3d space to UV space. In you're case, this means you can't unwrapped with PLG alone. If you want strait textures. You will need to make more cuts in your mesh to allow you edge to expand where it need it. Or all you need to do now is select the rows of points and use the scale tool to straiten them out. With your action center set to selection it should be a very quick fix.

Castius
09-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Here is an example of distortion free PLG made UVs. Now the issues with this is you will have UV seams you will need to paint properly.

adrian
09-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks. I'll try putting more seams in there.

I like to use UV mapping as I feel it gives me much more control over the textures (there's going to be a lot of grunge and dirt on this building and I need it in specific places).

With Atlas I'll just end up with heaps of seams woudn't I? I've never understood the point of using this. I know it splits the model up nicely but what's the point if you have multiple seams that you can't hide? Then again I could be misunderstanding how to use it properly.

probiner
09-28-2009, 04:36 AM
adrian, what are you going to use to paint?
If it's Zbrush or 3DCoat, i keep "preaching" Shells UV :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_iD9oJgMMY (only subject one for this case, the "quick and dirty")

If you gonna use a strange map, why not use one that uses a good percentage of the pixels and flattens polys "perfectly"?

Otherwise, use Castius for a more recognizable UV.
Sure it's not good to use in photoshop, but its better than AUV/GUV Tiles from zbrush.

Cheers

EDIT: attached. This UV uses ~89,98% of the pixels of whatever image you use on it.
Just a note. Packing can take a while. The higer the value and the more polys you have, the much time it takes. Used 512 here. Makes Modeler looked like it crashed, but its computing.

adrian
09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi, well I'll be using good old Photoshop to paint my textures. I don't have either Zbrush or 3D coat - which is why I like a template of my mesh to use as reference when creating my textures.

For a "normal" building I would not need to do it but as I say, this one is going to have a highly-detailed grunge/dirt/weathered texture applied so hence the need for a UV map which I have complete (or good) control over.

Castius
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
There is always multiple UV maps. In your case if you're going to have bricks with moss and dirt on them . This would be perfect. Use the split seamed UV for bricks. Then the unsplit for hand painting in PS. This way you get nice undistorted bricks and no seem problem while painting over edges in PS.

What i always tell people when teaching them UV. Is to ask them selves one question first. Do you want to have strait line follow the surface or do you want them to look strait? The answer to this is the bases for how your UV should be made. This makes it a lot easier to work. I think of UV as just like modeling. And you wouldn't start modeling unless you knew what you want it to look like in the end. The same principles apply to UVs.
:goodluck: