PDA

View Full Version : modeling a knife

pdp editor
09-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I need a hint on how to cut this hole- see attached. I tried using solid drill and other two layer procedures but I get the only faces error and rogue polys when subpatching. Is there another way to achive this?

hrgiger
09-27-2009, 09:51 AM
You have to boolean the object in polygon mode. Then you have to clean up the result making sure you have only 3 or 4 point polygons.

Check out posts 21-23 in this old thread. http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11372&page=2&highlight=mosquito

pdp editor
09-27-2009, 11:11 AM
my object is slightly different than yours- (See attached) I have 35 rogue polys with one selected- question how do I convert these to four sided polys.

bjornkn
09-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Why not use Bridge, and sharpen it up with Bandsaw afterwards inside?
Like this example with bridge between corresponding square on each side, with a badsaw inside the hole (lower left).
And two others using Rounder on a point in center of a "star", which here results in octagons instead of squares for bridging. No bandsaw inside here, yet.

JeffrySG
09-27-2009, 01:04 PM
If you're using subd/subpatch modeling you might want to have a look at my video that covers adding holes to subd objects. Some of my other videos might be helpful as well. :)

http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video002.html

pdp editor
09-27-2009, 02:35 PM
thanks for the tips however-see attached-JeffrySG pixelandpoly's video I cant use rounder on MY object it crashes modeler. I tried this on just a square box and it works fine. but it hates my knife.

pdp editor
09-27-2009, 03:04 PM
I think my object may not be constructed to work with rounder. see attached the polys are not connected correctly.

bjornkn
09-27-2009, 04:11 PM
You don't need to use Rounder if it causes problems (which it often does).
Instead of using rounder on the center point of the "Star", just select all the 8 radial spokes and use Connect on them.
Then select all 4 center polygons and "Merge polys" on them.
Use Untangle on the resulting irregular octagon, and you have a pretty circular poly for bridging.

Nangleator
09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
In my opinion, you booleaned that hole with a disk of FAR too many points. It should have been an 8-sided disk or even 6-sided.

3DGFXStudios
09-28-2009, 07:08 AM
thanks for the tips however-see attached-JeffrySG pixelandpoly's video I cant use rounder on MY object it crashes modeler. I tried this on just a square box and it works fine. but it hates my knife.

Maybe it works in lw9.6. 9.6 is much more stable than 9.3 :thumbsup: