PDA

View Full Version : Post editing etiquette

cagey5
09-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Just an observation from a recently read thread and not meant as a criticism of anyone but my approach to editing my posts is as follows.

If after posting, I think I can improve it's legibility I will edit the post accordingly. If however there has been any posting at all after my initial post, whether it refers to my comments or not then I will not edit it again except for typos.

Is that the general consensus here? because I would hate to have the editing time reduced back to 5 minutes because of retro editing.

Tzan
09-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Thats generally what I do. Otherwise people might not notice your new remarks.

shrox
09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
If someone has already quoted you before you edit, the original is there FOREVER!!

Except if hrgiger quotes you...

hrgiger
09-27-2009, 11:29 AM
If someone has already quoted you before you edit, the original is there FOREVER!!

Case in point. Try to change this post now Shrox.

cresshead
09-27-2009, 11:38 AM
yeah...i nearly always edit a post...cos i type fast/slack..make errors and often do not pick them up in the tiny edit window compared to a the published version...just a nit pick with the edit window more than anything else...

i do also change a post but usually within a min or so if it reads back poorly etc.

JMCarrigan
09-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I change mine instanlably. [edit] quick I mean.

Matt
09-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Almost all my posts have the "Last Edited By Matt" tag, because I always spot spelling errors afterwards! :)

colkai
09-28-2009, 02:02 AM
Nine times out of ten, I edit my posts 'cause my typing can cause some interesting spelling. :p

But yeah, for me, editing your post to change "what it says" after you've had replies is bad form.

Edit: or when I notice someone has said the same thing ;)

OnlineRender
09-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I edit constantly - but tbh it's for benifits of everyone ,otherwise it would read ..nonwdiawj jwioio923 ejajj 20rdfa boobies ..

Mr Rid
09-28-2009, 02:15 AM
I try to type in a text editor first, especially if it is long, and save it. I am usually multi-tasking, and some other function in the background may lock up the computer while I am typing. Or I fail to notice I have kicked the plug out of my laptop and it shuts off in mid type.

Matt
09-28-2009, 02:35 AM
I try to type in a text editor first, especially if it is long, and save it.

I do that on long posts too!

Titus
09-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, errare humanum est, and sometimes is good to edit a post or delete it after the heat of a discussion your head is cooling down.

But yeah, I edit a lot my posts when discover writing things different of what I meant.

jaxtone
09-28-2009, 10:00 AM
I edit my own texts almost every time because a bad spelling and grammatic errors aren´t what I usuallllllleee filgubf sionbg sss... jhddd klk dg Ih4 4093lkjlkjgsgd9usglnjlökjsg 89sgknjhsgd...

Capiche? :D

SBowie
09-28-2009, 10:24 AM
... and sometimes is good to edit a post or delete it after the heat of a discussion your head is cooling down.Like most, I edit for typos and grammatical mistakes, but stop short of anything that could be considered revisionism.

It wouldn't be fair, for example, to simply remove or reword something I'd said but later regretted, even if it was a bit embarrassing to me. In such a case, I'd more likely add a clearly marked correction. From the posts above, though, I see many feel it's alright to revise something when no-one has replied up to that point. I think I could concede that.

hrgiger
09-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I usually edit a post when I've misspelled a word. Or I find out I'm completely wrong about something at which point I try to change it before someone can quote me and make me look foolish.

JMCarrigan
09-28-2009, 02:21 PM
I usually edit a post when I've misspelled a word. Or I find out I'm completely wrong about something at which point I try to change it before someone can quote me and make me look foolish.

Yeah. And I never never never NEVER say anything I regret. Or repetitive. Or snarky. Or humelly zibbely bibbely boobely humily babily zibbily bop (how ever that's speklled.)

[edit] Hmm found this spelling:

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

but I think that 2nd bebhuhla should be babehuhla.

jaxtone
09-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Is that lyrics to a pre-historical jazz jam session? Swing it man!

Yeah. And I never never never NEVER say anything I regret. Or repetitive. Or snarky. Or humelly zibbely bibbely boobely humily babily zibbily bop (how ever that's speklled.)

[edit] Hmm found this spelling:

Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla
hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

but I think that 2nd bebhuhla should be babehuhla.

Greenlaw
09-28-2009, 04:44 PM
I just dictate my post to one of my cats and they pslradslk;j a09[87[ adf .'adfiy

JMCarrigan
09-28-2009, 04:46 PM
David Lee Roth's version of a very old, actually 2 very old songs joined together.

Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody