PDA

View Full Version : Walks

h2oStudios
09-26-2009, 02:47 PM
It's been quite a while since I've animated anything (especially a CA). So, I've decided to get back into it with some Walks, and it proved how rusty I am. Anyhow, so far I have 2 different walks going on here. I'm definitely having some issues with the second one, but I would love to hear some critiques from some of the Animators here as to help me improve (please, be brutal :D ).

Cheers!

-h2o

h2oStudios
09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Okay. "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?"

probiner
09-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Belive me, i would be brutal if i could :D ahaha
But all i can say is i like both, though they both might need some tweaks here and there, especially the depressed, concerning to the weight, but i can't come out with a pinpoint critique about this.

Wait more experienced animators for that :P

Good Work
Cheers

Castius
09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Always nice to see LW animations. There much better animation than i can critique.

h2oStudios
09-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Castius. I try. ;). It's lots of fun. Well, I guess I'll continue working on the next one, which is already proving to be even more difficult than the last (this one is sneaky), as I wait for the "Razorblade-Laserbeam-Eyes".:D

RebelHill
09-28-2009, 07:39 AM
both nice enough... personally id add more trail over to the trailing foot on the regular walk, let him tip his foot up on and over his toes more as he lifts off, and as for the depressed on, id probs just emphasise what you;ve already got more, mainly slowing him down a bit as he coems across the passing position, and then dumpin him down harder as he breaks through the contact.

h2oStudios
09-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks, RH. I'll make adjustments. The subtleties that you mentioned become a little harder to see after I've been staring at the damn things for a while. It's great to get some feedback from a more experienced animator. I'll post my revisions soon, and see if they'd be considered more finessed.

Cheers

h2oStudios
09-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Adjustments, if I may call them so. I'm wondering if they translated well. If not, someone please point out they're beefs about them.

I;ll have my next attempt (at another walk) hopefully up this late afternoon.

Cheers

Sleep deprived for reasons that need not be mentioned here.

h2oStudios
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Okay here's my go at a "sneak walk". I've noticed doing these walks that animating the arms can deceptively be a bit of a challenge. Anyway here it is. As I said before I'm looking for brutal critiques :D.

PS - I wondering if I should be posting these in the WIP forum, seeing as how almost no one visits this forum.

hrgiger
10-04-2009, 02:30 PM
That's a pretty good sneak, it looks like. The only thing that I noticed right away is that the knees are popping pretty quick.

h2oStudios
10-04-2009, 03:01 PM
That's a pretty good sneak, it looks like. The only thing that I noticed right away is that the knees are popping pretty quick.

Ah, good call. The knees are popping pretty fast on the contact. Let me fix that.

bazsa73
10-04-2009, 05:16 PM
The sneak is very good!

Larry_g1s
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
h2o Nice work my friend. Both walks are looking really good. You've got some nice ease in/ease out on the arm swings. Two things I see needed in here to fundamentally make it correct. One, it looks like there needs to be some rotation up on the hip that is taking the weight & down on the side of the leg that is coming through. The other thing is their needs to be the body slighting shifting over the leg that is taking the weight. Otherwise you'd be off balance (ie. fall over). Looking good though.

Sneak is also looking good. I really really like the arms on all your animations, no hitting of invisible walls. The hip comments above would apply here. You've got some real nice back and forth motion (timing wise), the only thing that sticks out to me (and it's not bad) is the legs see to follow through a tad fast.

Check out Jason Ryan's sneak tutorial in his free Ramp Up section: http://www.jrawebinar.com

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

@NiM8R
10-06-2009, 12:28 AM
I appreciate your eye for style. The motion seems to have a "swing" feel to it. It's very clean. Why not try a quadruped next? It may prove to be twice the fun! - Cheers! - Marcus Murcur

h2oStudios
10-06-2009, 10:47 AM
h2o Nice work my friend. Both walks are looking really good. You've got some nice ease in/ease out on the arm swings. Two things I see needed in here to fundamentally make it correct. One, it looks like there needs to be some rotation up on the hip that is taking the weight & down on the side of the leg that is coming through. The other thing is their needs to be the body slighting shifting over the leg that is taking the weight. Otherwise you'd be off balance (ie. fall over). Looking good though.

Sneak is also looking good. I really really like the arms on all your animations, no hitting of invisible walls. The hip comments above would apply here. You've got some real nice back and forth motion (timing wise), the only thing that sticks out to me (and it's not bad) is the legs see to follow through a tad fast.

Check out Jason Ryan's sneak tutorial in his free Ramp Up section: http://www.jrawebinar.com

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Larry. I do in fact have some hip rotation going on, but I guess it's too subtle, I'll exaggerate it more and see how it looks. As for the weight shifts and possibility of falling over, you are refering to the depressed cycle or both(If you could please explain)? Not sure, so I'll have take another look at those.

Yeah, the sneak. hrgiger also pointed out the legs, for there popping at the contacts. That's probably what makes them seem to follow through a bit fast. I've been fooling around with the positions of the Root and Feet controls to try to remedy that, but it's kind of been a pain to keep the same look without the pop. I'll figure something out inbetween my next walk, actually I'm going at a run with a possible jump this time.

Oh, and thanks for the link. I'll check it out later today.

I appreciate your eye for style. The motion seems to have a "swing" feel to it. It's very clean. Why not try a quadruped next? It may prove to be twice the fun! - Cheers! - Marcus Murcur

Thanks, @NiM8R (Clever Handle;)). Quadrupeds huh. When I get a chance I'll model a dog, rig it, and give it a go, but actually I'm probably going to go straight for an arachnid. I've got a scorpion that I modeled which I've been meaning to rig for quite some time.

Cheers!

-h2o

Larry_g1s
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Larry. I do in fact have some hip rotation going on, but I guess it's too subtle, I'll exaggerate it more and see how it looks. As for the weight shifts and possibility of falling over, you are refering to the depressed cycle or both(If you could please explain)? Not sure, so I'll have take another look at those.

Oh, and thanks for the link. I'll check it out later today.What I'm trying to communicate there is the weight (hips & head) should shift more over the foot that is planted when the opposite foot is released from the ground. If you don't do this, one is off balance. Try standing up and lift one foot with out shifting your weight slightly, you'll quickly have to plant that foot back down...or fall. So with walks and such, there needs to be a "swinging/shifting" of the hips & head more over the planted foot when the opposite is being released. You can have the hips and head pretty much in between on the contact posses though. Does that make sense? If not, I can try to sketch something up.

As for the link...if you're serious about wanting to learn animation but not wanting to spend your life savings, Jason Ryan Animation is the way to go. He's a great guy and animator. He's a supervising animator over at DreamWorks and has made his on-line tutorials & live monthly webinars very very affordable. He uses Maya for the 3D stuff, but he's primarily using it to just teach animation. :thumbsup: But in the mean time, check out his free Ramp Up vids.

h2oStudios
10-06-2009, 11:54 PM
What I'm trying to communicate there is the weight (hips & head) should shift more over the foot that is planted when the opposite foot is released from the ground. If you don't do this, one is off balance. Try standing up and lift one foot with out shifting your weight slightly, you'll quickly have to plant that foot back down...or fall. So with walks and such, there needs to be a "swinging/shifting" of the hips & head more over the planted foot when the opposite is being released. You can have the hips and head pretty much in between on the contact posses though. Does that make sense? If not, I can try to sketch something up.

No, man, I totally understand the body's weight shifting (including hips) when taking a step. I just wasn't sure as to which of the walks (if not all of them) displayed lack of such. Thing is, that if I (and for an example I probably will post) post front view orthographic renders - it's way more visible than the rendered angles at current. Anyway, I'll exagerrate them at there current angle. Besides the previous, I'm pushing forward on some running & jumping.

PS - I wish I could get into J Ryans training or even AM but I live in a broken-down-garage without highspeed.

Larry_g1s
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
No, man, I totally understand the body's weight shifting (including hips) when taking a step. I just wasn't sure as to which of the walks (if not all of them) displayed lack of such. Thing is, that if I (and for an example I probably will post) post front view orthographic renders - it's way more visible than the rendered angles at current. Anyway, I'll exagerrate them at there current angle. Besides the previous, I'm pushing forward on some running & jumping.

PS - I wish I could get into J Ryans training or even AM but I live in a broken-down-garage without highspeed.I was going to ask you to post it from a front view, but it just seemed like their wasn't enough weight shift (if any) so I thought I'd just mention it.

Bummer about the no high speed situation. The only thing I can think of about the webinars is that you can download them after you've paid. So you probably wouldn't be able to attend the live feed, but you'd get to download the webinar after. They're usually about 280mb. So it take a bit, but....

In the meantime, download his free Ramp Up's, you'll learn some great things there to keep you going for a bit. Keep animating. :jam:

(man you're up late. 2am NY time right? lol)

h2oStudios
10-07-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah man. 2-am. Night owl status. I DLed the sneak but JR used flipbook for the example (and to be honest that's the classic 2d sneak, ahem... Richard Williams/ Ken Harris's). Alot of things work in 2d that are hard to translate in 3d unless you're using a Stretchy Rig which at the moment I'm not.

Edit; actually not having a stretchy rig is not much of an excuse: :D.

I'm keeping at it.

Larry_g1s
10-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah man. 2-am. Night owl status. I DLed the sneak but JR used flipbook for the example (and to be honest that's the classic 2d sneak, ahem... Richard Williams/ Ken Harris's). Alot of things work in 2d that are hard to translate in 3d unless you're using a Stretchy Rig which at the moment I'm not.

I'm keeping at it.Jason has a traditional animation background as well as CG. He's teaching the principals of animation, and those same principals will work in 2D as well as 3D. I understand your concern with a non-stretchy limb rig, but I've done this very exercise with a non-stretch rig just fine (one of my first real CA over a year ago (http://www.genesis1studios.com/animation_ex/Larry_Sneak_9_13_08.mov)). His style is to work the animations out (timing, spacing, performance) out in 2D (because it is much faster to "pose" a stick figure then a rig initially), then once the timing, spacing, and performance is worked out...then jump in to 3D.

If you watch those Ramp Up's, he's going over timing, spacing, follow through, etc. Those are all animation principals, not restricted to 2D. :thumbsup:

h2oStudios
10-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Larry, I appreciate it, you;re good peeps. But seriously I can't afford it, hence why I'm on newtek-forums asking for advice from other LWers who animate. I'll do my best to exagerrate/and/or remedy certain aspects that have been mentioned as lacking (and hope that they are more appealing afterwards) as I do enjoy criticism . But for now, onward to some running and jumping.

Cheers

-h2o-

Larry_g1s
10-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Larry, I appreciate it, you;re good peeps. But seriously I can't afford it, hence why I'm on newtek-forums asking for advice from other LWers who animate. I'll do my best to exagerrate/and/or remedy certain aspects that have been mentioned as lacking (and hope that they are more appealing afterwards) as I do enjoy criticism . But for now, onward to some running and jumping.

Cheers

-h2o-You bet bud. For the record I was talking about his free Ramp Ups. :hey:

But post away. I love seeing more CA in the LW community. :dance:

probiner
10-07-2009, 01:30 AM
ehehe the sneaky is funny.
The only thing i would point is the knee. It's no big deal, but it looks like IK snap, instead of intended animation, every time he put the foot on the ground and the knee bends. But probably this has to do more with his particualer sneaky style.
I would both make a little tiny pause and bend him forward, when he puts the foot on the ground. so even there was a snap, it might not show up.

good job

h2oStudios
10-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Okay, a dirty on my go at Run & Jump. Needs a bit polishing; some offsetting and other bulls**t. The landing portion is a definite for some work, but for now I'll call it a stand-in landing. This guy has some "ups" as he's jumping over a wall that's a bit taller than himself. Yet to go back to the previous walks and F around but I'll get to em. C & C welcome as always... no really, tell me about it :D.

-h2o

h2oStudios
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Anyone, anyone?

Larry_g1s
10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey h2oStudios, sorry about that, I checked this out from home and meant to respond but forgot. For the run, I would have him leaned over more & not so upright (see attached image). I think the arcs on the jump over the wall is a bit off. He needs to keep his momentum going forward. Those are some that I remember off the top of my head. Keep going though. :thumbsup:

probiner
10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Again i seem to stop some stuff that could help you, but i can't put it together into a constructive critique.

Lets see...

There's something on the jump that is off but i can't say what:
-Is it the fast landing?
-The fast standing up after the jump?
-Not enough effort to jump?
-Jumping too high?

Since he is not doing the jump and run in an athletic style, why keeping his hand flat open?

And there's something with the arms in the run. But again... not able to pin point it.

Well, sorry if there are more questions than answers.

I think the character is funny. Good luck

Cheers

h2oStudios
10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Okay here's a little updated Run&Jump - Tilted him forward a little, adjusted his arms a bit, closed his hands ( for u probiner ;) ), did some stuff with tilting his body on the jump, messed around with the landing a little. Lemme know if it's a bit more appealing or not. -

A tweak on the Sneak Walk to try and remedy that blasted knee pop, although I'm not sure I like it any better, kind of looks weirder, i don't know. -

PS - Just realized that the run & jump needed a bit more down before the jump and fixed that in my next post.

Also, if anyone wants to post their walks, runs, jumps, swims, cycling, flying, cats chasing mice, dogs chasing cats, mice chasing cheese, trips, stumbles, staggers, drunkness, etc, please be my guest, it would really be a help in learning from each other (esp, being LWers) in the CA aspect imho.:thumbsup:

Cheers!

h2oStudios
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
:neener:

probiner
10-13-2009, 06:42 PM
So now that he is titled forward just needs a bit more speed =)

You can render the preview with some motion blur. Maybe not the best thing in the world though...

Cheers

Larry_g1s
10-15-2009, 10:46 AM
hey h20...can you save it in a QuickTime version? It'd be easier to frame by frame it and also make notes on.

h2oStudios
10-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Any suggestions on what compression/codec to use with quicktime to keep a small file size? since I only use quicktime for full quality stuff which give me some serious file sizes.

Larry_g1s
10-15-2009, 03:34 PM
What avi codec is it being done with. Because I can't convert it through AE or Adobe's Media Converter.

h2oStudios
10-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm rendering these walks with Divx6.0 codec since it keeps file sizes really small while keeping some quality intact, but yeah Iv'e noticed that ya can't do frame stepping with WMPlayer. Any QT codec that works well in keeping files small?

Larry_g1s
10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
What do you have to convert it? Are you just doing it as an animation from LW?

h2oStudios
10-15-2009, 10:22 PM
What do you have to convert it? Are you just doing it as an animation from LW?

Hey sorry, yeah, I'm doing straight out of LW renders into Divx format. Though what I used to do with anims of this sort is output a full qual QT and import to Premeire for conversion but my copy of premeire is dating back to like 6.0 (ouch) and LW 9.6's outputs of QT's are no longer supported by AP 6.0. ANy thoughts?

Larry_g1s
10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't know how far back v6.0 of Premiere is...first go with me is on CS3. But you should be able to convert to a decent QT H.264. I'd produce frames out of LW then just import to Premiere. If you have a recent version of PhotoShop, that'll work too. You can pull in a decent amount of image sequences to PS and export to QuickTime. I think QT pro allows for that too. That'll cost you, but I don't think it's too much.

vncnt
10-21-2009, 04:10 AM
What avi codec is it being done with. Because I can't convert it through AE or Adobe's Media Converter.

You could download VLC media player from www.videolan.org
It's available for every operating system on this planet.

vncnt
10-21-2009, 04:29 AM
Okay here's a little updated Run&Jump - Tilted him forward a little, adjusted his arms a bit, closed his hands ( for u probiner ;) ), did some stuff with tilting his body on the jump, messed around with the landing a little. Lemme know if it's a bit more appealing or not. -

A tweak on the Sneak Walk to try and remedy that blasted knee pop, although I'm not sure I like it any better, kind of looks weirder, i don't know. -

PS - Just realized that the run & jump needed a bit more down before the jump and fixed that in my next post.

Also, if anyone wants to post their walks, runs, jumps, swims, cycling, flying, cats chasing mice, dogs chasing cats, mice chasing cheese, trips, stumbles, staggers, drunkness, etc, please be my guest, it would really be a help in learning from each other (esp, being LWers) in the CA aspect imho.:thumbsup:

Cheers!

Nice work!
I'm also trying to do more CA. Just discovered this CA thread.

I think weight & balance were already mentioned.
I'd love to see more refinements. Things like: a motivation for running/walking, a goal, anticipation and exaggeration, having trouble to jump over the wall, etc.

Larry_g1s
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
You could download VLC media player from www.videolan.org
It's available for every operating system on this planet.That doesn't help with the frame by frame or converting it issue.

h2oStudios
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks, vncnt, for the comments. And Larry, the next posted attatchments will most likely be QTs with frame numbers rendered in aswell. But for now I'm taking a break for a few to get some other stuff done; like taking the GED exam :D on Fri (yes, I'm 26 and never graduated highschool :D), and I hope the questions will be more or less things like - how do you setup an IK/FK blending rig or what's the relationship between Heading, Pitch, & Bank ;).

But, back on topic, please feel free to post your own LW animations here, that would be really cool!

Cheers!

Larry_g1s
10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Sounds good h20studios. Good luck on the GED, way to complete it regardless. ;)
As for posting animations...I've presently done all my character animations in Maya (importing them in to LW through Point Oven). So I don't know who well that'd go over in the forum. I'm looking forward to animating in LW, and believe it's very capable, it's just that I'm presently learning right now in Maya so that's where my examples are at.

vncnt
10-25-2009, 09:07 AM
That doesn't help with the frame by frame or converting it issue.

In that case, take a look at VirtualDub. Easy access to frames and easy converting to other formats and codecs.
For WMV > AVI or BMP sequence conversions: TMPGEnc.