PDA

View Full Version : Arena Spotlight IES? How to simulate?

bluesmike
09-26-2009, 03:34 AM
I have an interesting problem: my client wants a large arena scene to highlight his event. This calls for spot lighting at specific areas of the floor at different times. I've got the model and everything set EXCEPT the all-important lighting. I was going to use LW spots with some soft volumetrics, but to me it just doesn't look right. Perhaps I'm not sure myself what the realistic look would be, but I was thinking more along the lines of a beam or shaft of light rather than a conical shape.

Am I off base going for that look? And if not, are there any IES files out there of such high intensity focused spots? I guess I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but if any of you have an idea or have come across an issue like this in one of your own projects, do you mind sharing?

Thanks.
Mike
Using 9.6 on PC

dwburman
09-27-2009, 10:47 AM
You could try using a distant light for your volumetric light. You might need to parent it to the spotlight and turn off "Affect Diffuse" and "Affect Specular" in the light properties.

In the attachment, the top beam is a distance light with volumetric light turned on. The bottom beam is a spotlight.

toby
09-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Putting a projection image in the spotlight should give you a volumetric cone in whatever shape you want; make an oval image for example.

praa
09-30-2009, 01:54 PM
you could try to mix a volumetric spotlight parented to a real model of a spot enclosure with flaps and all...

bluesmike
10-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks all for your suggestions. I ended up going with a projection image. That did the trick for what I needed.

Mike