PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm Setups?

Zimtower
09-26-2009, 03:00 AM
I just purchased 4 of these lovely gals:
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gJYnN6vfVSOT1RZb&content=overview#
for 300 each and also 8 quadcore opterons clocked at 2.2GHZ for about 600. If you haven't realized, I bought 32-cores of processing power in 4 tiny 1u packages for about $2,000. Now, I have not looked into Lightwave's network rendering tools yet and I am asking if anyone has an idea of how I can set it up on 4 systems to work together.

All of my systems are running Windows 7 Enterprise Trial at the moment and do support the two processors.

3DGFXStudios
09-26-2009, 03:08 AM
You can install a network render client to make it all a little easier to control. The build in screamernet system works but you'll have limited control. Use Virtual Vertex Muster or Smedge or Butterfly net render for example. I use Muster and it works perfectly. Just make sure you have a shared network drive on all systems.

Matt
09-26-2009, 05:45 AM
ButterflyNet is pretty painless to setup, but you need to have your boxes networked first.

biliousfrog
09-26-2009, 08:06 AM
I use BNR, very easy to setup even for an idiot like me.

You'll need to get a switch and cables obviously, other than that just set up a shared drive and make sure that they can all see each other. It's a good idea to install VNC so that you can access the computers over the LAN and install any applications without needing to plug in a keyboard and monitor.

It would make sense to setup one node and them clone the HD which would save a lot of time...it would also be a useful backup if you needed it.

You might also want to give them a private network, away from the internet, so that you needn't worry about antivirus software etc. I use my workstation as the controller which is connected to the net via one LAN port and connected to the render farm via another. I've configured each node with a static IP (10.0.0.XXX) so that I don't need a hub although it would make the initial setup just a little easier.

Hieron
09-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Nice :)

What Opterons are those btw? That is a very low price for dual socket capable quad Opterons, a good second hand deal for someone that just upgraded? Personally I prefer the fast Intels, but for that price it can't be beat I guess. Nice small packages too, I'm still having 10 medium cases in my office..

Please let us know how it works out for you.

I run BNR after trying Screamernet (argh) and Tequila. BNR rocks, it makes setting it up and updating it (just as important) a breeze. I have it setup just like Bilious says. Annoying Windows Vista (XP) thing is that you can't have more than 10 LAN pc's connecting to the same share. So I will need Linux or something soon for the server.

biliousfrog
09-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Annoying Windows Vista (XP) thing is that you can't have more than 10 LAN pc's connecting to the same share. So I will need Linux or something soon for the server.

I've read a way round that but I can't remember where...

Do you need the dongle attached to run the BNR client/Screamernet? I was wondering that because I've been thinking of getting a cheap, low powered, second computer as the controller so that I can keep my workstation out of the loop if needed. It would also affect you using Linux as Lightwave doesn't run on it.

Probably a dumb question but I don't really understand how BNR/ScreamerNet works under the hood.

Hieron
09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I've read a way round that but I can't remember where...

Do you need the dongle attached to run the BNR client/Screamernet? I was wondering that because I've been thinking of getting a cheap, low powered, second computer as the controller so that I can keep my workstation out of the loop if needed. It would also affect you using Linux as Lightwave doesn't run on it.

Probably a dumb question but I don't really understand how BNR/ScreamerNet works under the hood.

One way is running Windows 95 :) I read *alot* about it, and nowhere a solution was given. There is some misconception regarding 10 connections per second for Windows, but that is something not related to this.

Actually, I didn't even think about that dongle issue, and it works! :) I have the farm connected to my previous workstation still, just got a new workstation and moved the dongle over to the new one. I guess lwsn doesn't care about connected dongles.

Yes, running Linux for the shares would cost a node... but some simple machine or NAS could do that. Personally I like to have the shares on my main workstation though, probably Gbit lan is fast enough to have all files over LAN but always working over LAN feels odd :) And copying it over just for renderfarm rendering is a hassle.

My content path for LW is always a network share for easiness.

Not sure if I understand BNR etc that well myself :) I suppose a commandline based renderer like lwsn that can be run by other programs, which is what BNR does next to some added functionality like frame checking etc.

biliousfrog
09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I seem to recall something along the lines of connecting machines in groups of 10...so the controller would connect to 9 machines, they could then connect to another 9 each, which could connect to another 9...etc.

I'm not very savvy with network setups but I remember reading a post by someone that worked around the 10 machine limit by doing that. Whether it only works with certain render controllers, I'm not sure, but it seemed like quite an easy way to have multiple Windows PC's on a network without resorting to Windows server or Linux.

Hieron
09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Hmm.. no clue how that would work, since all need to access the main share.

You could copy that share onto another node and have the 10+ nodes network share that one. To the network controller like BNR it wouldn't matter I guess, it would just say "content dir is z:\" for instance. And the z:\ would just be different for some.

It would require copying of files but not a bad idea actually :) Can double as a backupdrive then I guess.

hmm, thanks :) will test it out for next run. I had 1 standing idle up till now.

Titus
09-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Support the LW community, buy TequilaScream.

Zimtower
09-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Nice :)

What Opterons are those btw? That is a very low price for dual socket capable quad Opterons, a good second hand deal for someone that just upgraded? Personally I prefer the fast Intels, but for that price it can't be beat I guess. Nice small packages too, I'm still having 10 medium cases in my office..

Please let us know how it works out for you.

I run BNR after trying Screamernet (argh) and Tequila. BNR rocks, it makes setting it up and updating it (just as important) a breeze. I have it setup just like Bilious says. Annoying Windows Vista (XP) thing is that you can't have more than 10 LAN pc's connecting to the same share. So I will need Linux or something soon for the server.

Opteron 2354 Revision B3 OS2354WAL4BGH, I got these for 70 bucks a piece and they are the latest revision so they don't hang like the earlier revisions.

Hieron
09-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Dang, 70 a piece. Nice :P

Zimtower
09-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Yea, last time about two years ago I looked into cheap renderfarm solutions, I estimated it would cost about 8,000 for 32 nodes/cores. But now that I spent awhile shopping and researching, it would only cost 1,800-2,000 for 32 nodes/cores. It's about the same in price and performance if you decide to build desktop nodes or go for a compact server solution but I believe the server solution is cheaper on electricity and saves a ton of space.

Hieron
09-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Space wasn't a problem before, but over time my office is becoming cramped. Besides, I totally got to have a 19" case one day, they're just cool to look at :)

The fans on those aren't loud btw? I got big Scythe coolers on mine that rotate pretty slowly. Can run the 10 nodes right next to me without too much noise.

Zimtower
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Alright, I have my screamernet set up and ready to use on any computer that can see the masterbox/workstation. Question is, do I run a node for each core, each CPU, or each server box? I found that manually making the batch files was out of the question in the case of each core so I am taking advantage of TequilaScream Runner now :P

JonW
09-29-2009, 07:11 PM
You only need one node per computer. If you have a stack of ram & the scene is not too large (you donít want to start using virtual ram or the computers will slow down) you could have 2 or more nodes per computer.

My set-up:
Node 1: W5580
Node 2: E5450
Node 3: 940
Node 4: 920
Node 5: 920
Node 6: E5335
Node 7: W5580
Node 8: E5450
Node 9: 940
Node 10: 920
Node 11: 920
Node 12: E5335
Node 13: W5580
Node 14: W5580

If its a large scene, I fire up the first 6 Nodes. If its a small scene I fire up 12 Nodes or 14 Nodes. The W5580 has 4 nodes as this box has 24gb ram & all the other boxes have 12gb, thus only two nodes each.

Running a second node fill in the gaps in the processing cycle when rendering. Also having the set up as above, by the time a a scene is loaded in Node 7 for example its already rendering on Node 1, so the gaps in CPU resources are better spread out.

Depending on the scene LW is about 90% efficient, so if you have enough ram run a second node. But if its only a short animation you need to weigh up the length of time each node will take to render verses the 5-10% gain you get running a second node.

I will often only run the one Node on the E5335 but use 2 node on the rest of the boxes as the E5335 is so slow, you do not want to be waiting for very slow nodes to be finishing one of the last frames in a sequence. Itís a very painful to wait.

erikals
09-29-2009, 11:47 PM
also see,
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=931600#post931600

cresshead
09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
forget it...what your looking into is a dinosaur on its last legs...
CLOUD computing and rendering via the net is the future.

:D

Zimtower
10-08-2009, 04:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8UxMtz0x0
This is my first render using my new 40-core renderfarm. Instead of taking 12 hours on a single workstation, it took only 1 hour which is good enough for me. I found that 1 node per core is the most efficient and fastest solution for frames that take over 1 minute to render. If it's a fast rendering scene(under 1 minute) then it's more efficient to use 1 node per 2 cores because lightwave's screamernet is damn slow at initializing nodes 1 at a time.

Server 1, 2x quad core opterons(2.2ghz):
node 1-8
Server 2, 2x quad core opterons(2.2ghz):
node 9-16
Server 3, 4x quad core opterons(2.3ghz):
node 17-32

Aux workstation 1, 1x quadcore(3.2ghz):
node 33-40
Aux workstation 2, 1x quadcore(3.0ghz):
node 41-48

Hieron
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Does any of you run your shares from which the farm reads and writes on a "normal" Windows OS?

next to the somewhat annoying 10 connections to share issue, I also have the issue that over time the share drops and no node can reconnect to it. Some "not enough resources" issue, that is only resolved by rebooting the farm. (the pc with the server needs to be rebooted but for them all to auto reconnect I need to reboot them all)..

Any ideas how to combat this? besides running Linux?

Hieron
10-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I could've sworn I'd changed the IRPStackSize before, but I guess not yet on this newer workstation, thanks for reminding me :)

Let's see if it holds better now :)

robk
10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I just purchased 4 of these lovely gals:
http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_I...tent=overview#
for 300 each and also 8 quadcore opterons clocked at 2.2GHZ for about 600. If you haven't realized, I bought 32-cores of processing power in 4 tiny 1u packages for about $2,000. Now, I have not looked into Lightwave's network rendering tools yet and I am asking if anyone has an idea of how I can set it up on 4 systems to work together.

What about Ram I presume that was not included in your price. How much ram on each unit and how much did the ram cost?

JonW
10-19-2009, 12:11 AM
If you start using virtual ram render times will go through the roof.

Iíd be stuffed if I didn't have 12gb now. Most of my scenes are about 4 to 7 gb according to WTM. Worst being 10 gb, in this case I can only run 1 instance of LW per box.

erikals
10-19-2009, 01:00 AM
..i don't quite understand though, that scene should be nowhere near 10GB, more like 1.

Larry_g1s
10-19-2009, 01:13 AM
$2000 for 32-cores sounds good to me!
How much ram do they come with, or is that separate from the $300?

JonW
10-19-2009, 01:22 AM
Trees all over the building + close up fly around the building + some rooms fitted out. This is only a section of the building. The customer wanted a few montages & if I can do it once in LW then I don’t have to 3 or 4 times in Photoshop.

erikals
10-19-2009, 01:31 AM
oh, heh, thought u used HDinstance... every LW cad guy should!!
you only need v1.8 ($150)
i have it, it rocks, darn easy to set up, video tutorial on how-to is on the website
http://www.happy-digital.com/instance.asp

JonW
10-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Plus a lot are quite large maps that tile really nicely.

nemac4
10-19-2009, 07:53 AM
We have been running OpenSUSE with butterflynet for over a year now and it has been solid.

I have a "controller" windows pc running butterflynet, 8-11 render nodes, and the OpenSUSE system hosting a shared raid which is mapped and the BNR default R:\ drive.
It works great and no connection limit problems.

Larry_g1s
10-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm interested in purchasing some of these, but the link isn't work now, can you tell me what it's called again and I can look on Asus site.

EDIT: nevermind, it looks like the Asus site is just temp. down.

Zimtower
10-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm interested in purchasing some of these, but the link isn't work now, can you tell me what it's called again and I can look on Asus site.

EDIT: nevermind, it looks like the Asus site is just temp. down.

All of my ram cost me 600 and one of them failed because it was an unknown brand, still a very good deal for 64GB of server memory.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-AS-1041M-T2-B-1U-Quad-Opteron-A-Supermicro-Server_W0QQitemZ160371367832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOM P_EN_Servers?hash=item2556e0df98
This is the last server I got for about $599 because it was listed badly, these servers work very well with cheap opterons you can also pull off of ebay, just be aware of AMD revisions if you want to do virtualization because B2 revisions have errors that can bust your system if you use virtualization. A complete 16 core server for 1000 including shipping is not a bad deal at all.

As for rendering times, it works well with frames that take over 32 seconds to render, otherwise screamernet becomes inefficient at handling jobs. I use one node per core and so far that's where the sweet spot is. As for the connection limitations of Windows XP, it only counts the number of OSes connecting to the job server, not the number of CPUs/Cores. Having multiple processors stuffed in one machine really helps cut down cost associated with having to buy server OSes.

I get my server OSes for free because I have a .edu email http://dreamspark.com/, you just can't use it for commercial purposes.

Larry_g1s
10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
All of my ram cost me 600 and one of them failed because it was an unknown brand, still a very good deal for 64GB of server memory.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-AS-1041M-T2-B-1U-Quad-Opteron-A-Supermicro-Server_W0QQitemZ160371367832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOM P_EN_Servers?hash=item2556e0df98
This is the last server I got for about $599 because it was listed badly, these servers work very well with cheap opterons you can also pull off of ebay, just be aware of AMD revisions if you want to do virtualization because B2 revisions have errors that can bust your system if you use virtualization. A complete 16 core server for 1000 including shipping is not a bad deal at all.

As for rendering times, it works well with frames that take over 32 seconds to render, otherwise screamernet becomes inefficient at handling jobs. I use one node per core and so far that's where the sweet spot is. As for the connection limitations of Windows XP, it only counts the number of OSes connecting to the job server, not the number of CPUs/Cores. Having multiple processors stuffed in one machine really helps cut down cost associated with having to buy server OSes.

I get my server OSes for free because I have a .edu email http://dreamspark.com/, you just can't use it for commercial purposes.Can I ask where you purchased it? That one on the Asus page doesn't seem to have a "buy" button. :bangwall:

Zimtower
10-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Can I ask where you purchased it? That one on the Asus page doesn't seem to have a "buy" button. :bangwall:

Got mine off of ebay:

$599 Quad CPU SuperMicro:

$299 Dual CPU Asus:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280340913781

Just make an offer with this guy for the Asus server for at least $299 a piece. He might even got lower if you buy more than 2. I must warn you though that you have to buy one dual core CPU so you can completely flash the BIOS to work with quad cores. As long as you are comfortable with computer hardware, it should be no problem for you.

Larry_g1s
10-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Got mine off of ebay:

$599 Quad CPU SuperMicro:

$299 Dual CPU Asus:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280340913781

Just make an offer with this guy for the Asus server for at least $299 a piece. He might even got lower if you buy more than 2. I must warn you though that you have to buy one dual core CPU so you can completely flash the BIOS to work with quad cores. As long as you are comfortable with computer hardware, it should be no problem for you.Thanks Zimtower, that helps.

Can you help me understand more specifically when you say "I use one node per core and so far that's where the sweet spot is." when you have 8 cores per machine? Does that mean the other 7 are idle? If so, I'm not understanding what the point is of having that many cores.

And essentially all one would need to do is purchase ram and a processor to complete these things right? Meaning it comes with the power supply, etc.

Larry_g1s
10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
P.s. Where did you purchase the processors? Was that ebay also?

PSs: what OS are you running with these. I don't see XP or Win7 support. Does the OS you're using run LW ok? I'm looking at 64bit versions for RAM issue.

Larry_g1s
10-23-2009, 04:17 PM
I run BNR after trying Screamernet (argh) and Tequila.I understand your frustration over Screamernet, but what was your frustration over TequilaScream that made BNR so much better.

And I know I've asked this before, but obviously still confused (:bangwall:) but what constitutes a node in BRN? Can you have one machine using all cores (ie.4, 8, etc.) count as one node? Everyone seems to really like BNR, but I also like TequilaScream for $299 unlimited nodes. But if BNR's Standard version of 15 nodes means only PC's (still using all cores) count as one node, then $180 is a great way to go.

Hieron
10-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I understand your frustration over Screamernet, but what was your frustration over TequilaScream that made BNR so much better.

And I know I've asked this before, but obviously still confused (:bangwall:) but what constitutes a node in BRN? Can you have one machine using all cores (ie.4, 8, etc.) count as one node? Everyone seems to really like BNR, but I also like TequilaScream for $299 unlimited nodes. But if BNR's Standard version of 15 nodes means only PC's (still using all cores) count as one node, then $180 is a great way to go.

Ow I didn't mean to say I was frustrated about Tequilascream, sorry if that was unclear. I tried Tequilascream (trial or so), I guess I ran into some more general farm issues then.

A month later I had to decide on buying the controller and decided on BNR since it allows a wider usage later (Maya, Modo) and it has a sort of auto setup function. You still need to set up a network share etc, but it has a nice way of autmating the rest.

It allows you to auto update the client program on the nodes from the controller, auto update plugins from your main LW to the network config filesetc (ok that auto update of plugins sometimes hangs for me when it is done. Since it is done a restart is fine and it is only occasionally when you have new plugins, definately faster than manual)

About the nodes:
I never tried to run more than 1 client node per pc. usually it is best for me to have the Quad cores work on a single node per pc. usually a scene draws 4+ GB so it isn't really handy to run more than 1 node per pc.

Some people say that running 1 node per core is better but for me that is hardly ever the case for me. Perhaps with small scenes which generate big files it can keep CPU % up. But CPU usage % is maxed pretty close to 100% for me always.

So here my 10 nodes (=10 pc's for me) run a total of 10 client programs and keep 40 cores at +- 100% cpu usage. Dunno if that answers your questions... :)

I like BNR, will upgrade to the studio version soon though. The normal one doesn't allow you to prioritize scenes etc so it makes stacking many scenes and ordering them in a list somewhat unhandy.

Larry_g1s
10-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, big help. Thanks Hierons, that helps on the render controller end. Now I just need Zimtower to help me with my last couple of questions. ;)
thanks guys

Zimtower
10-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks Zimtower, that helps.

Can you help me understand more specifically when you say "I use one node per core and so far that's where the sweet spot is." when you have 8 cores per machine? Does that mean the other 7 are idle? If so, I'm not understanding what the point is of having that many cores.

And essentially all one would need to do is purchase ram and a processor to complete these things right? Meaning it comes with the power supply, etc.
I use one node per core because servers like these are not very efficient at sharing cores. They were designed to run multiple applications and if one application started sucking up CPU power, it wouldn't interfere with the other important applications on other cores. I found this out after using a VPS. Of course you can set the server BIOS to share cores and memory but that depends on the brand of the server, the ASUS servers have a lot of options for that. Having to run that many nodes may seem like a gruesome task but not with the free TequilaScream Runner, it only takes 30 seconds to bring up my render network.

You can find ALOT of cheap quad-core opterons on ebay because businesses are always upgrading either for faster processors or because some of the revisions may have errors but I haven't had any problems with mine because I am not using virtualization. Most of those quad-core opteron processors that are cheaply listed on ebay CANNOT handle virtualization but they sure can blast through renders.

As for the operating systems, all servers support all versions of Windows but it depends on the OS support of the number of physical CPUs. For dual processors, you can use XP/Vista/7 Professional or any version of Windows Server. For quad processors, you must use the server editions of Windows such as Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 R2, just keep in mind there is a limit on ram when using 32-bit or web editions. I got my OSes free because I have a .edu email for https://www.dreamspark.com/

Larry_g1s
10-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks so much zimtower, this is very timely. A couple more questions if you don't mind. How does LW run on the 64bit server OS's you mentioned (I only use 64bit OSs these days for RAM issue)? And I know what TequilaScream is/does, but what/ how does TequilaScream Runner fit in to the picture? And if I read correctly you're using it BNR, or are you using it with TequilaScream? Thanks again for the quick responses...I want to purchase some stuff Monday or Tuesday the latest.

Zimtower
10-24-2009, 02:27 AM
LW works well with 64 bit, though it would probably be faster if you used the 64-bit version of LW.

I don't use any external screamernet controllers, I use the one in lightwave but I do use TequilaScream Runner to automate the node creation/execution process. I just followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QDpWMZPMg and then I stuck TequilaScream Runner into the picture.

Larry_g1s
10-24-2009, 09:38 AM
LW works well with 64 bit, though it would probably be faster if you used the 64-bit version of LW.

I don't use any external screamernet controllers, I use the one in lightwave but I do use TequilaScream Runner to automate the node creation/execution process. I just followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QDpWMZPMg and then I stuck TequilaScream Runner into the picture.No, I'm sorry my question was how does LW run on the 64bit server OSes? I've been using LW 64bit on XP 64 for a couple years now, I've just not seen or heard (because it's never been a concern of mine till now) it running on a server OS (64bit). So that's why I'm asking about the server OSes you've mentioned.

Zimtower
10-24-2009, 01:44 PM
No, I'm sorry my question was how does LW run on the 64bit server OSes? I've been using LW 64bit on XP 64 for a couple years now, I've just not seen or heard (because it's never been a concern of mine till now) it running on a server OS (64bit). So that's why I'm asking about the server OSes you've mentioned.

That's what I meant :P I've tried both LW and LW 64bit on both Windows Server 2003 and 2008 without any problem.

Larry_g1s
10-24-2009, 03:27 PM
That's what I meant :P I've tried both LW and LW 64bit on both Windows Server 2003 and 2008 without any problem.ha! Alright, thanks so much. That really helps. ;)

Larry_g1s
10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks Zimtower and others for the help. I just purchased the Supermicro one with some 6 core Opteron. The seller for the Asus ones (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280340913781) made those a great 2nd choice for anyone looking.

Now what I need to decide on is should I go with BNR or TequilaScream for the network render controller. Any feedback there would be appreciated.

Hieron
10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
hmm did you find some nice LW benchmarks on those 6 core opterons, comparing it to say i7's or Xeons? could be an interesting option..
I'm looking to upgrade our farm from 10 Q6600's with some i7 based nodes but got all options open. Even checked out the Boxx 10300, but that's perhaps for the future :)

I got the entire farm as seperate miditowers now, but that's a but clumsy, so will need to go and look for rackcases I guess.. any input appreciated

About the controller: I used Tequila shortly (trial period?) and in the end moved to BNR. Both are fine I guess, especially if you know how to set it up right. But I do like the automated processes of BNR. Ic an't recall if TequilaScream allows project prioritization etc but the normal BNR doesn't. So that could be in favor of tequila I guess.

Now it is a bit annoying when a long rendering scene is already in the farm, I can't easily add a new scene to the list for it to start on when the current is done. BNR studio allows it, so will upgrade soon I guess.

ps: does anyone else have major Samba share issues once in a while here? I used to run with only XP nodes and Vista controller but will add a Linux node to the network to hopefully iron out some share issues... it's been really annoying at times. (shares dropping etc... tried alot to fix it)

JonW
10-27-2009, 04:10 PM
http://3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3&scene=39

There is only one AMD CPU benchmark here. It would be nice to see a few more. & a few more Apples as well!

JonW
10-27-2009, 04:45 PM
There is also a pair of AMD Opteron 2382 CPUs here using the above bench mark. 85 seconds

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2009/03/30/intel-xeon-w5580-nehalem-ep-review/9

geo_n
12-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't use any external screamernet controllers, I use the one in lightwave but I do use TequilaScream Runner to automate the node creation/execution process. I just followed this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QDpWMZPMg and then I stuck TequilaScream Runner into the picture.

Didn't know you can copy paste a lw install without screwing up windows registry. So running tequila runner is an instant node connection after setting this up like in the video?

Larry_g1s - did you go with bnr or tequila? I'm looking for a network controller for lw, kray. I'm having issues with the bnr trial and kray. But the lw part is like backburner. Sweet:D. I haven't tried tequila.

Larry_g1s
12-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Didn't know you can copy paste a lw install without screwing up windows registry. So running tequila runner is an instant node connection after setting this up like in the video?

Larry_g1s - did you go with bnr or tequila? I'm looking for a network controller for lw, kray. I'm having issues with the bnr trial and kray. But the lw part is like backburner. Sweet:D. I haven't tried tequila.Hey geo_n, I ended up going with BNR. I was in the midst of the project that I initially needed it for, and the deciding factor was users comments on the ease of use to set up. I didn't have time to mess with anything. Sadly, during the project I didn't even have enough time to set it, lol. So I'll be looking to set it up soon and see if I can give you some more feedback.

geo_n
12-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Hey geo_n, I ended up going with BNR. I was in the midst of the project that I initially needed it for, and the deciding factor was users comments on the ease of use to set up. I didn't have time to mess with anything. Sadly, during the project I didn't even have enough time to set it, lol. So I'll be looking to set it up soon and see if I can give you some more feedback.

I see. It is so easy to setup. And the price for my lw hobby can't be beat. I'm having trouble setting up kray though. Installed at home and in the office and its still the same error. A fresh lw install with no plugins except kray. Wierd. But anyway now I can show the max purist here I have "backburner" for lw :D:D
Would be glad to hear your kray network setup.

Larry_g1s
12-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I see. It is so easy to setup. And the price for my lw hobby can't be beat. I'm having trouble setting up kray though. Installed at home and in the office and its still the same error. A fresh lw install with no plugins except kray. Wierd. But anyway now I can show the max purist here I have "backburner" for lw :D:D
Would be glad to hear your kray network setup.Once I get it installed I'll let you know how it goes with Kray. On a side, but related note I ended up using that Rebus for some Kray interior stuff and it worked great. They have solid pricing and it's super fast (upload, render, and download).

And you get those max purist. ;)

geo_n
12-08-2009, 01:55 AM
Once I get it installed I'll let you know how it goes with Kray. On a side, but related note I ended up using that Rebus for some Kray interior stuff and it worked great. They have solid pricing and it's super fast (upload, render, and download).

And you get those max purist. ;)

I got it to work finally. Thanks to erwin zwart for the tip. I love kray even more with network render. :D:D
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1727&p=10856#p10856

Zimtower
02-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I am selling one of my 8-core opteron servers on ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320487635075