PDA

View Full Version : bamboo pen and touch

calilifestyle
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
this looks great. i cant believe no one pointed this out

http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

wacom
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Wonder if it's pressure sensitive and on how many levels when using your fingers...might make sculpting etc. a bit more interesting...

cresshead
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
bingo-tastic!

JCG
09-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry, my mistake.

JMCarrigan
09-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I really have to take the time and get used to using this Cintiq 21ux! That looked pretty good!

geo_n
09-25-2009, 09:41 PM
I have the old bamboo using for 3dcoat. Its enough for general work. Time to upgrade maybe.:D

calilifestyle
09-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Look all i have to say i was going to buy one of the other competitors tablet. But now with the wacom having this type of feature. no way and at such a great price. Also after searching Safe harbor seems to have the best prices.

Sekhar
09-25-2009, 11:50 PM
I'd tried the earlier Bamboo once and ended up returning it: it wasn't responsive at all (there was a lag) and it hurt my hand. I usually use Intuos 6x8 and wanted a portable tablet. Hope they improved it in this version.

cresshead
09-26-2009, 03:49 AM
i have a bamboo medium and have found it excellent for zbrush

gerry_g
09-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Well I have a Bamboo plugged into my Macbook Pro and the pro touchpad already duplicates this functionality so in reality I have this setup now, though I have caught myself absentmindedly doing the gestures on the Bamboo by mistake LOL so if I ever upgrade this would be ideal. As for everyday pro use I would never consider dropping below the 18'x12' size tablet due to lack of sensitivity.

Matt
09-26-2009, 05:12 AM
I too have the old Bamboo (the black one) and while the levels of pressure sensitivity aren't as good as the Intuos range (which has 2048 levels) for the price it's been excellent, can't fault it.

I do like the look of this though, just as a general input device, as I hold my mouse in a weird way (using my finger tips) which does hurt my wrist after long periods.

Plus it has 1024 levels of sensitivity, my old one has 512.

The pressure sensitivity is only for the pen, not the gestures though.

Why don't they offer the black one in the larger size is beyond me, looks much slicker than the larger 'Fun' one, having said that, the new one looks to be silver rather than the boring white of the old one, and at least it doesn't say "Fun" on it, so I think I'll go for this one.

wacom
09-26-2009, 06:04 AM
I have the first USB graphire and an Intuos3, and for the life of me the biggest difference seems to be the weight and girth of the pen when it comes to actual use. The only other thing I've noticed was how well it approximates curved lines when drawn VERY quickly in some apps. The Intuos3 is better in those regards. I don't really use the little buttons/strips since I prefer using it in tandem with the keyboard. The graphire is WAY more portable too...

Maybe I'm missing something? Don't get me wrong though, the feel of the pen IS very important esp. after you've been drawing or texturing painting for some time.

Anyway- one thing is for certain- I know very few people who give a tablet an honest shot and ever go back to just using the bar of soap we call a mouse for doing any kind of drawing or painting etc. on the computer. A tablet is a MUST IMHO and should be considered long before a fancy video card, more RAM, new CPU etc. if you ever edit or create pixel based images directly.

Matt
09-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Maybe I'm missing something? Don't get me wrong though, the feel of the pen IS very important esp. after you've been drawing or texturing painting for some time.

It is, and I agree, after using the pen for a while, switching to a mouse feels like a brick!

But being able to use your PC with touch helps with RSI, and saves wearing out your pen nib for non-drawing purposes.

Safe Harbor
09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I put in a call to our Wacom rep regarding the levels of sensitivity for hand gestures. As soon as I get a response I'll let you guys know.

It's definitely looking like a very cool tool for designers. And, it's Windows 7 compatible so it'll work on those systems.

Matt
09-30-2009, 11:04 AM
The pressure sensitivity part of the Wacom system is in the pen, not the pad, so I would hazard a guess that it's pen only pressure sensitivity.

But I'll let you know in about 10 minutes when I plug it in (yep, bought one in the Apple Store in London today).

Safe Harbor
09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Touch does not have pressure sensitivity. According to our rep "Touch is a means to navigate…for example you wouldn’t be using touch in Painter or Photoshop to edit photos or draw where pressure sensitivity comes into play, but you would use touch in those applications as a method to move the cursor about the screen or navigator through menus or to zoom, scroll, and rotate using your fingers."

Matt
09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
I can confirm that touch sensitivity is only for the pen.

The pressure sensitivity of the pen is much nicer than the old Bamboo, more controllable.

Also, the old Bamboo pens don't work with the new Bamboo devices. The scroll, zoom and rotate functions work in Photoshop CS4 (although I have found an issue when trying to popup the toolbar sub menus, two finger double tab opens them out fine, but you then can't select using single tap).

Not all of the touch features work in LightWave (to be honest, I never expected them too) normal trackpad stuff does, but the zoom / rotate gestures don't. Most work in modo except rotate, it's quite fun modelling with your fingers! Although your fingers aren't as precise as the pen tip, so it's more a fun thing. The touch aspect is more for 'general' computer use and web browsing, and the gestures feel nice actually, obviously Mac users with a trackpad that supports gestures will be used to this, it's pretty much the same, except a much bigger area.

I can't test it in CORE because my license key has now run out, and new ones as far as I know, have not been issued yet.

There seems to be a bit of a lag when using the pen in LightWave too, this wasn't an issue on the old Bamboo. I tried it in modo and it was fine, so I guess it must be a LightWave issue.

Edit: Sorted the lag issue, it was Vista's own pen tablet software which has a 'click-hold' for the right mouse menu getting in the way, as when you click and hold to drag the view, it's deciding whether to go into that mode or not. I never use it so I switched it off.

cagey5
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I got my core key yesterday. Worth checking..

archijam
10-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Just picked one up. It's a pretty good looking device, though the 'levis' tag is way overscaled..

Now for a real test.. Illustrator! ;)

gerry_g
10-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Do you mean Painter ?

archijam
10-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Do you mean Painter ?

Sensitivity schmensitivity.

I mean drawing beautiful spines :D.

Nothing more, nothing less ..

JohnMarchant
10-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Im going to me one of those for Christmas (you listening Isabelle) :):):)