PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft advert - the worst video ever?

starbase1
09-25-2009, 02:13 PM
What is it with Microsoft advertising?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=5548

Earlier we had those really bizarre adverts with Bill Gates buying trainers (huh?), and now this. Handy hints on how to hold a party to celebrate the launch of Windows 7!

I'll just bet that this is going down a storm up the road at Apple HQ.

Now so far Win7 seems to have pretty much universal praise, and even if you allow for Vista setting the bar low, this does seem to be a promising release.

But what the advert really shows is that Microsoft are unbelievably bad at cool. And they are so bad at cool, they cannot even tell how much they miss the mark by. This is beyond dumb, it is attacking Apple at it's strongest point, as a pathetic failure.

I don't own a mac or any apple products, but good grief - whoever is making the decisions on MS advertising should be waterboarded with cherry coke, to the sound of "Achey Breaky Heart" until they get a clue...

Seriously, this is so cringemakingly bad that you would rather bite your own nose off than watch it twice. A first round reject on 'The Apprentice' could do better.

Andyjaggy
09-25-2009, 02:24 PM
The amount of people that had to approve this ad through conception, to release, and the fact that it still made it through is a very sad commentary on the people who work at MS.

What the freak are they smoking there? Who could have possibly thought this was a good idea? It almost makes me want to be an Apple guy.

shrox
09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
...should be waterboarded with cherry coke, to the sound of "Achey Breaky Heart" until they get a clue...

New Coke, there's got to be some 20 year old cans sitting around somewhere...

shrox
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
The amount of people that had to approve this ad through conception, to release, and the fact that it still made it through is a very sad commentary on the people who work at MS.

What the freak are they smoking there? Who could have possibly thought this was a good idea? It almost makes me want to be an Apple guy.

If you look real close, there is a token black guy in there, that says they are hip with the bros...

doimus
09-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Is Microsoft advertising some kind of swinger party?

(I watched shorter version, with beeps.)

RollerJesus
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
"Make sure you install Windows 7 before your party and call customer service if you have any problems" hahaha!

So much, so bad...

BeeVee
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Try and find the "alternative" version of this video. It all makes so much more sense in a disturbing way.

B

Andyjaggy
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
yeah I watched the alternate version as well............ yikes. Bet they didn't expect people to take it that way, it worked remarkably well though.

littlewaves
09-25-2009, 02:54 PM
If you look real close, there is a token black guy in there, that says they are hip with the bros...

presumably they'll composite in a white guy (just for his head) for the Polish adverts?

shrox
09-25-2009, 02:56 PM
presumably they'll composite in a white guy (just for his head) for the Polish adverts?

Hip with the Poles?

wacom
09-25-2009, 02:58 PM
The funny thing is that this video IS so hip, it's not cool, and if you don't get the dumb arse hippster counter intuitive coolness of you it's lost on you.

So I thought the video was great...funny...but uh, that must be .05% of windows users so...as a marketing tool I'm not sure. Most viewers are not going to look at a Microlimp ad and expect it to be so sophisticated and so it will just come across as dumb...

The plus side for them is that it probably was cheap(er) to make than other videos might have been...

Andyjaggy
09-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Note to self.

If I'm ever in a position to hire someone to fill a marketing role, don't consider any previous MS employees.

littlewaves
09-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Hip with the Poles?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8221896.stm

Andyjaggy
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM
The funny thing is that this video IS so hip, it's not cool, and if you don't get the dumb arse hippster counter intuitive coolness of you it's lost on you.

So I thought the video was great...funny...but uh, that must be .05% of windows users so...as a marketing tool I'm not sure. Most viewers are not going to look at a Microlimp ad and expect it to be so sophisticated and so it will just come across as dumb...

The plus side for them is that it probably was cheap(er) to make than other videos might have been...

I considered the possibility that it was supposed to be a bit of a joke, but they just seem waaaay to serious and I dismissed that as a possible reason for theis atrocity to exist.

RollerJesus
09-25-2009, 03:05 PM

No way... There was nothing hip/cool about the way MS portrayed those people and their attempt at making them sound sophisticated was as annoying as being around people that really act that way.

wacom
09-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Well...at least they stirred the pot a bit this time...normally it's a yawn, yawn situation. They could just have rock stars again...but we all know that's about as in step with using an OS as...well it's not.

wacom
09-25-2009, 03:15 PM
OK, so it looks like the humor of the ad IS lost on most people. Oh well...

I think it's funny as all get out and contradictory in all the best ways while not being to overt.

Regardless...when was the last time ANY MS ad had anyone talking let alone debating. Viral marketing at work IMHO.

shrox
09-25-2009, 03:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8221896.stm

This is the on I saw...fresh from his UN speech.

DiscreetFX
09-25-2009, 03:21 PM
They have 94,000 employees, you would think they could come up with something better.

wacom
09-25-2009, 03:24 PM
They have 94,000 employees, you would think they could come up with something better.

Yes, they should be able to do better. However I feel this IS better than most of their other popular marketing that is either to dry or just absolutely lame with no hint of sarcasm. So while it's still a 2 out of 10 at least it's not a -1 IMHO.

art
09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
This is the on I saw...fresh from his UN speech.

Why would they still leave the Asian there? ;)

DiscreetFX
09-25-2009, 03:38 PM
The Ad needs an Asian and a bottle on Jack on the counter and it would be perfect.

:)

hrgiger
09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
So how does it fare against the CORE reveal?

Mark The Great
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I think that Microsoft felt that they had to cancel out the awesomeness of their Office 2010 'trailer'.

starbase1
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
So how does it fare against the CORE reveal?

Low blow:devil:!

RollerJesus
09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
OK, so it looks like the humor of the ad IS lost on most people. Oh well...

I think it's funny as all get out and contradictory in all the best ways while not being to overt.

Regardless...when was the last time ANY MS ad had anyone talking let alone debating. Viral marketing at work IMHO.

I see how it would be funny if sarcasm was really the intent, but I just don't think that's the case.

IMI
09-25-2009, 05:19 PM

I'd tend to agree with you. Funny, but in a really disturbing sort of way. Makes me embarrassed to be a geek. ;)

wacom
09-25-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd tend to agree with you. Funny, but in a really disturbing sort of way. Makes me embarrassed to be a geek. ;)

I agree, but I don't think any presented stereotype was left un-molested in that video. Even the viewer is a left feeling like a jerk if they overly judge anyone in the dumb kindhearted presentation. One of the most bizarre attempts at humor I've ever seen released by a major company...

OnlineRender
09-25-2009, 06:26 PM
http://www.mmogrindhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/5v5z7tvzukkzpzq2z384r8h61.jpg

got to admit ive been on board from early beta days with Win 7 and i personally find it hard to fault and they changed the transparancy level on toolbar due to me moaning for weeks :O) , I also remember a BT advert " cringe bad bad bad experince with them " photoshop there advert . .

Matt
09-26-2009, 06:05 AM
OMG, let me take a Glock and paint with the walls with my brains! WTF did I just watch! I feel the urgent need to bathe in sin after watching that.

IMI
09-26-2009, 09:55 AM
You know what was really missing at that party was the cyanide-laced Kool-Aid.
At least, if I ever went to a Windows release party, I would want there to be some there. :D

Stooch
09-26-2009, 11:52 AM
yeah if you think these people are pathetic, you should see a core launch party.

biliousfrog
09-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow...that was bad, I couldn't even watch it all. The altered version was funny though.

Would anyone (aside from MS employees) actually have a launch party for an OS? I can't say that I've ever been excited by an OS, it's just something that should be as unobtrusive as possible as far as I'm concerned...not something to be celebrated. Is everyone expected to play minesweeper and MSPaint pictionary?

I'm beginning to suspect that it is intended to be tongue in cheek, otherwise is just doesn't make sense, but it has failed to be anything at all...just a bad video.

Dexter2999
09-26-2009, 01:23 PM
reminded me of the infomercial for the "magic bullet" food chopper.

Maybe they should hire Ron Popeal to market Windows 7 "Set it and forget it!" "Better than spray on hair!"

wacom
09-26-2009, 01:40 PM
I must admit, I find the video funny, but the idea of a launch party for an OS just about as pathetic as can be. Maybe the OS/2 Warp marketing folks are still around?

Maybe if it came with a free copy of some multiplayer game or something...but aren't launch parties for game systems mainly? Not that those aren't dorky either...

I think this does spread the word for windows 7...but the video makes hosting a party for an OS look and sound as ridiculous and lame as the video its self.

They could have just shown this video, faded to black with the text "Trust us, not only dorks are excited about 7"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

So where is the hosting a Snow Leopard party joke video? It should contain people drinking white wine in all black, marble counter tops and plenty of stainless steal, designer chairs, and no one taking to one another as they all text via their iPhones. It should contain at least one party goer engulfed in flames as their battery explodes, and a snow leopard eating the rest of the party as they try and call 911, but realize their batteries have died.

archijam
09-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Sign up for your party pack and free copy of Windows 7 here (http://houseparty.com/windows7).

DiscreetFX
09-26-2009, 04:42 PM
@archijam

No thanx

:hat:

shrox
09-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Sign up for your party pack and free copy of Windows 7 here (http://houseparty.com/windows7).

Great, the site froze my machine and I had to reboot...it might be a Failure to Launch party.

shrox
09-26-2009, 04:56 PM
You know what was really missing at that party was the cyanide-laced Kool-Aid.
At least, if I ever went to a Windows release party, I would want there to be some there. :D

Plus bowl haircuts and matching jogging suits and shoes.

Sekhar
09-26-2009, 08:02 PM
OK, the video was long and dull, but it's still 100x better than the really DUMB Mac vs. PC ads that Apple subjects us to. :devil:

Matt
09-26-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc

I wanna see Jay do this at the CORE launch! :D

Hehe!

probiner
09-26-2009, 08:19 PM
LOL so funny.
I get to a 1/4 of the time line and i thought to myself... This is great...

Older people, with lack of computer skills, might watch this crap and learn something... and the other pc nerds are going to rant this video and watch it to the end so they can talk bad about it AHAHAHA

If you really think the video is crap, don't take of your time to see it, to make others see it too, and rant it ;)

Cheers

PS: LOOOOL MATT, looks like a teenager listening his heavy metal stuff in the room, dreaming that everyone is looking at him. But the weird fact is that everyone is looking at him AHAHAH.

Matt
09-26-2009, 08:36 PM

Wow, thanks, I've just downloaded all the host notes and printed off the wonderfully "hi-res" invite PDFs.

I'll be throwing a launch party, who's coming?

They'll be the usual music, booze, hookers and copious amounts of illicit drugs, but forget all that, you wanna see what I have planned with "PhotoPalooza" and "Media Mania" it will blow your mind!

:D

JCG
09-26-2009, 08:50 PM
On the comments of the modified version, it says that the original video campaign was made by Houseparty.com, so it would seem it's not meant to be sarcastic.

IMI
09-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Wow, thanks, I've just downloaded all the host notes and printed off the wonderfully "hi-res" invite PDFs.

I'll be throwing a launch party, who's coming?

They'll be the usual music, booze, hookers and copious amounts of illicit drugs, but forget all that, you wanna see what I have planned with "PhotoPalooza" and "Media Mania" it will blow your mind!

:D

:lol:
You're usually a pretty funny guy, Matt, but I think you outdid yourself in this thread. :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
09-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Wait, this is the same company that manages to created commercials like this for their games : http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/55351/Xbox-360/Halo-3-ODST/Trailer/Extended-Live-Action-Trailer-Redux

But this is the best they can come up with for their new OS to get the masses interested?
WTF? Even the Bill Gates and Seinfeld commercials where a whole lot more funny (in a very bizarre way mind you)

Sande
09-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Wow. Just wow. PAR-TAY!!!

...and I thought the classic Only Amiga-advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeO5IkCssk) was bad... :D

jaxtone
09-27-2009, 06:16 AM
HAhahahahahaHaHaHahhahahaHaHaHa.... OMG!

In moments like this I wonder if the "conspiracy theories" about Bill Gates III when heīs described as he is the devil himself walking on earth is true? But in that case I have to stand back because I always thought a devil character was an evil but also smart guy and in this case smartness is not the selling buzz word on MS agenda...

I hate MAC computers but at this stage I wonder if it ainīt an option. I guess Steve Jobs laugh his guts out when watching this.

Someone in this thread asked what kind of stuff they smoke at MS, now I would like to extend this question by asking what kind of acid they have in their coffee?

Pleasantville anyone?

starbase1
09-28-2009, 06:54 AM
I also really enjoyed Charlie Brookers take on it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/28/charlie-brooker-microsoft-mac-windows

Also explaining why he still won't surcome to the cult of mac.

(Contains entirely appropriate adult language!)

archijam
09-28-2009, 07:01 AM
I also really enjoyed Charlie Brookers take on it

Nice! ;)

Love that English humour ..

"Windows is like the faint smell of piss in a subway: it's there, and there's nothing you can do about it."

biliousfrog
09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
I also really enjoyed Charlie Brookers take on it:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/sep/28/charlie-brooker-microsoft-mac-windows

Also explaining why he still won't surcome to the cult of mac.

(Contains entirely appropriate adult language!)

Excellent, Charlie Brooker is one of my heroes and, after reading that, I think that I'm starting to get a very inapproprate crush on him. :D

shrox
09-28-2009, 08:39 AM

...and I thought the classic Only Amiga-advert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWeO5IkCssk) was bad... :D

For some reason it made me think of the "Star Wars Holiday Special"...

Liber777
09-28-2009, 09:21 AM
...and they changed the transparancy level on toolbar due to me moaning for weeks...

Are you the one to blame for this!!?? (:

This is the only issue I have with Win7; the transparent toolbar and start bar when an app is maximized. This is terrible when I'm working on something color-critical such as Fusion unless I set the background to a neutral grey. Otherwise I like having a background pic when I'm plunking around with web windows and such. So far I haven't found a setting for this.

Liber777
09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
So where is the hosting a Snow Leopard party joke video? It should contain people drinking white wine in all black, marble counter tops and plenty of stainless steal, designer chairs, and no one taking to one another as they all text via their iPhones. It should contain at least one party goer engulfed in flames as their battery explodes, and a snow leopard eating the rest of the party as they try and call 911, but realize their batteries have died.

That's hilarious!

Liber777
09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
..They'll be the usual music, booze, hookers and copious amounts of illicit drugs..

I'm there! Might just be able to pull off "PhotoPalooza" and "Media Mania" with such a promising start...!

SBowie
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Wow. Someone should really check up on those actors and see if they need counseling or the number for a support group. Being any part of that would certainly have put me into clinical depression (if it didn't induce catatonia).

aaronv2
09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
haha i thaught it was funny checking out that retro amiga video that i ran into this little puppy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O4xqRqhPY&feature=related

shrox
09-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow. Someone should really check up on those actors and see if they need counseling or the number for a support group. Being any part of that would certainly have put me into clinical depression (if it didn't induce catatonia).

They'll probably need chalk outlines and body bags by now.

DiscreetFX
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
@shrox @SBowie

Doing that commercial probably hurt their career for sure.

Matt
09-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Do I spy a young Tim Jenison at 1:29! :)

archijam
09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
The further you go back in time, the better they get ..

*link* (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/sep/25/microsoft-advertising)

I do like the W W Windows .. 386 ..

Warning: includes some Ballmer-isation.

SBowie
09-30-2009, 05:35 AM
The further you go back in time, the better they get ..Seriously, though - the guy didn't recognize the Mission Impossible theme? Where's he from, Pluto? :twak:

starbase1
09-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow. Someone should really check up on those actors and see if they need counseling or the number for a support group.

Actors?!

I'd wager that if they left the cameras running for another 10 seconds, they would all chorus: "Do you want fries with that?"