PDA

View Full Version : Can I sell Lightwave 9.6 and what do I need to do?

Drakonsden
09-25-2009, 10:22 AM
As an avid CAD user I bought Lightwave thinking I could use models created in CAD to do animations. I have since discovered that this is more difficult and expensive than I am willing to waste time and money on.

I would like to sell my copy of Lightwave 9.6 and a few other applications on Ebay. Is this allowed and what do I need to do to make sure the buyer can use the license? The other applications I will check with their respective manufacturers.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

Nicolas Jordan
09-25-2009, 10:52 AM
You may want to check out AccuTrans 3D before you go getting rid of your copy of Lightwave. It's what we use here at work to output our models from CAD to Lightwave. It works great for us. :)

Heres a link http://www.micromouse.ca/

hrgiger
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
You will need to contact customer service. You will be asked to write a letter stating that you wish to transfer your license to the buyer. You will need all your info, the buyers info and the softwares serial number. Then you just need to ship them the dongle for the software.

robertoortiz
09-25-2009, 01:49 PM
You may want to check out AccuTrans 3D before you go getting rid of your copy of Lightwave. It's what we use here at work to output our models from CAD to Lightwave. It works great for us. :)

Heres a link http://www.micromouse.ca/
I would try his advice, before you jump the gun.
The price is only 20.00 bucks...

Try it, I bet you will be able to get decent results.
-R

hrgiger
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
True what Mega says. I forgot to mention that you won't get near what you paid for it. It might be worth keeping an older version of LW in the event that CORE may one day fill your needs since Newtek does not charge a penalty and lets you upgrade to current Lightwave with any previous version. But you may need the money to buy whatever you're switching to.

SplineGod
09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
A;so, if y ou still want to do 3d but without the creeping costs of 3d software and plugins I would check out blender....its free. :)

Drakonsden
09-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Accutrans has problems with my models. Most of the models I am working with have a great deal of curves and radii that blend together. Accutrans seemed to do the same thing a couple of other applications did, it subdivides the model excessively and introduces strange openings and flipped polys.

The fact is that I have wasted so much time trying to make animations from my CAD models that I am just plain sick of it all. I started off with Daz Studio then switched to Carrara Pro and then switched to Lightwave all with a few addons or smaller applications in between. Now I am out so much money and have nothing more to show from it than a bad attitude and a maxed out credit card. I am moving on before I waste any more of my hard earned income.

I am not saying that any of these applications are not worth it, just that I no longer have the patience or extra cash to waste on this endeavor.

geo_n
09-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Accutrans has problems with my models. Most of the models I am working with have a great deal of curves and radii that blend together. Accutrans seemed to do the same thing a couple of other applications did, it subdivides the model excessively and introduces strange openings and flipped polys.

The fact is that I have wasted so much time trying to make animations from my CAD models that I am just plain sick of it all. I started off with Daz Studio then switched to Carrara Pro and then switched to Lightwave all with a few addons or smaller applications in between. Now I am out so much money and have nothing more to show from it than a bad attitude and a maxed out credit card. I am moving on before I waste any more of my hard earned income.

I am not saying that any of these applications are not worth it, just that I no longer have the patience or extra cash to waste on this endeavor.

Can you post a sample model? How are you importing the files? I used autocad before and there was no way to make the mesh clean with a very curvy object without it being heavily tesselated. Even 3dmax imports dwg files and tesselates it. I redo those curves where I import it.

Drakonsden
09-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Geo N,

I no longer have any of my files and I have uninstalled all of the 3d animation software I had. I really have no more interest in figuring it out. I'm done. Sorry, I appreciate your effort though.

Hieron
09-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah.. don't think that CAD -> 3D rendering is easy any which way you take.

We just did a rush job that required a nice animation of some industrial setup that needed GI etc etc. So we transformed it into a tesselated mes(s)(h). Then used that to completely build it from the ground up again.

Took a few days and pains.. but the end result is worth it.

If there is a way to get CAD models into optimized normal 3D models, do let me know. But I can't believe it gives great results on those curvy surfaces etc.

Sorry to hear you spent much money on it and it didn't work in the end. Afaik it can't be done that way.

jaxtone
09-27-2009, 05:22 AM
This guy must be lucky though... If he instead had invested in an Autodesk product a sell out on E-bay would have been illegal since he never own the product even if he bought it with his own money.

F-ing strange that business like theirīs werenīt forbidden at the same time slavery was outrunned by a new civilisation!

rmendoza
09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Hello Drakonsden,

Yes you can sell your copy of Lightwave just call,

NewTek Customer Service
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:30am to 5:30pm CST
Telephone: (US) 1-800-862-7837
(Outside US) +1-210-370-8000
Fax: 210-370-8001 24-hrs day

Thank you for your interest in LightWave. If you have acquired this copy of LightWave used, from a third party, then proper transfer of ownership is required. Please return the following information in the form specified below:

From the seller: (preferable)

A signed letter with:

Seller's Information

Name:
Company Name: (if applicable)
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
Email Address:

And the buyer's Information

Name:
Company Name: (if applicable)
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
Email Address:

The letter should include the intent to sell the copy of LightWave to you with your contact information and the serial number.

This letter may be faxed to:

210-370-8030 (or 8001)
Attention:
Customer Service

or

Scanned and sent as an on-line document through email to [email protected]

or

Snail mailed to:

NewTek Inc.
5131 Beckwith Boulevard
San Antonio TX 78249

After receiving this information, we will be able to transfer the ownership to you and send you the permanent license key. Note: Individual Educational licenses of LightWave are not transferable to non-students without first upgrading them to a Commercial license. 5 seat lab packs owned by schools are never transferable.

Thank you for your cooperation.