PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with magicsurface.p ?

omichon
09-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Here is the problem :
I have a network with several computers.
LightWave 9.6 is installed on Computer A (on a shared device, named T: ), so that I can run LightWave from any computer on the network.
Since LiveSet Generator can't be installed without LightWave 9.3.1*, I copied the files manually (from a previous regular installation).
So, to make it clear, I have the following files :
T:\programs\ :
FrameWork.Bitmaps.dll
FrameWork.Threads.dl
FreeImage.dll
Processing.Video.CPU.FXCompiler.dll
T:\plugins\LiveSet:
magicsurface.p
vsfxsaver.p

and of course the plugins have been added to the LW config files.

So, I can load and play with any scene using the plugins on Computer A, but when I load a scene from Computer B or C, I get the following error message :
"Cannot loaf External plug-in file <T:\Plugins\LiveSet\magicsurface.p>."

I don't understand what's wrong here. The only possible reason I see would be some missing informations about LIghtWave installation in the Windows registry** (?).
I can't imagine the only workaround to fix this would be installing LightWave on every computer on the network !
Any ideas about this issue and how to fix it are welcome.
Thanks.

*Could we expect a more clever Installer checking if LightWave 9.3.1 or a more recent build is installed ???
...and also a x64 version by the way ?

** Well, not sure it is related to the fact that LightWave has been (or not) installed on the computer since I have had this issue in the past on a computer with a regular LightWave install.

omichon
09-25-2009, 03:46 AM
OK, let's go with more troubles with LiveSet.
Sometimes, when saving the scene file, it seems that LightWave corrupts data of LiveSet Generator, because when loading back the scene, it crashes immediately after loading the Master plugin data.
Once the references to the LiveSet Master plugins have been removed from the scene (with a Text Editor), all is fine. You just have to put back the plugins.
Well, not really a fix but a workaround that saved my *** a couple of times.

BeeVee
09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Salut Olivier,

I think the problem with the magicsurface.p pugin is that it possibly requires some of the DLLs that the Liveset installer puts in? I think also that a new installer has been made and it's just awaiting uploading to the reg system...

B

omichon
09-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Salut Olivier,

I think the problem with the magicsurface.p pugin is that it possibly requires some of the DLLs that the Liveset installer puts in? I think also that a new installer has been made and it's just awaiting uploading to the reg system...

B

Salut Ben :)

Regarding the dlls, do you mean I missed one of them (see the list in my initial message) ?
Would be nice if the plugin was clever enough to tell me what dll is missing...
Anyway, glad to read that a new installer will be available soon (?)

omichon
10-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, I have installed LightWave 9.6 on Computer B, then I put all the files from the LiveSet plugins and dlls in the expected folders (see my first post for details).
Anyway, I still can't load a scene using the LiveSet plugins, because of the same message "Cannot load External plug-in file...". What does it mean ? What could explain that the same setup is working on a computer but not on the other one ? I really need some support from Newtek here.
I have some short deadline to render a Virtual Set and I can't render it on my fastest computer because of this issue :(
Thanks for any suggestion.

billmi
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Have you tried the new installer? I was under the impression that it was currently available for download.

omichon
10-02-2009, 12:34 AM
I heard about a new installer, but I just have checked again and I don't see any recent LiveSet Generator on my account.
It says it was added on 07-21-2008.

Does this new installer really exists ? Is there some official announcement somewhere about it or is it just a rumor ?

billmi
10-02-2009, 11:01 AM
See this post by Steve Bowie:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=929860&postcount=9

You might try contacting tech support to see if they can provide it to you if it's not in the downloads yet.