PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who...

virtualcomposer
09-24-2009, 05:26 PM
I was in the clothe store with my wife
this afternoon and of course I'm board to death. But I do find myself looking at textures allot and wondering "I wonder if I can replicated this texture or recreate the object properties in Lightwave? Now my wife thinks I'm to technical minded sometimes but it's just the way my mind works. I like to know how things are made and why they work. Which ultimately helps when creating things in 3D. Are any of you like this as well? If not then I guess I'm crazy. Lol.

OnlineRender
09-24-2009, 05:29 PM
no infact give me 10 secs to load my phone into my pc and ill show my every ending list of textures , i have a good one of my dogs scar " ran into trampoline ripped himself wide open " i thoughi I'm going take a picture of that , that's a great texture for ZB :P

ever since i was about 3 i always had a screw driver in my hand , always wanted to be a michanic , but i decided plastering was better , but that was just my artistic side , you should see some of my plaster work ,now that is real art (",) give me a hawk and trowel and smoooth they polyz . .

jameswillmott
09-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Textures, not as much, but I tend to view objects as combinations of primitives... :tongue:

AdamAvenali
09-24-2009, 07:35 PM
i catch myself sometimes looking at organic objects and trying to figure out what their SubD cage would look like :thumbsup:

MooseDog
09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
i'm always looking at light, reflections, sources, shadows.

being visual artists we all practice every day what leonardo da vinci once said "(one must) learn how to see"

JeffrySG
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
i catch myself sometimes looking at organic objects and trying to figure out what their SubD cage would look like :thumbsup:

Yeah. Do that a lot too.

And then I'll look at some nice shadows and color bleed and think how long the GI calculation must be. ;)

virtualcomposer
09-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Good then I'm not crazy! Lol

wacom
09-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Actually, I think you and the rest of our lot ARE slightly crazy!

I also do the same thing(s) esp. when I'm working on texturing, lighting, and anything animated or posed. I think it's just the nature of being curious and also needing to understand things to replicate them. It also helps to be able to see them "for what they are" and simplify them even if the route is complex IMHO.

My wife has grown to accept my odd curiosities that happen in public. I do have yet to ask someone to do something again or hold still so I can look at the way the light interacts with their hand and coffee cup, but it's just a mater of time before I go over that edge too...

accom
09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Hehe, I do that to... in my mind theres allways polyflows, subdivide polys and textures - reflection maps, bump maps... everywhere in fact... walking with my sons through a toy store is a very intense event, trying to memorise all of the 'things to do'. :)

So: NO, YOU'RE NOT CRAZY.

probiner
09-25-2009, 01:59 AM

How do you sleep at night? AHAHA

i don't have any of these views. I'm much more of a 2D and comical situation guy when comes to this kind of interior deconstruction.

Cheers

OlaHaldor
09-25-2009, 02:44 AM
You are not alone guys. And there's other professions out there with the same work related mental damage as well. ;) I remember watching behind the scenes of King Kong, and one of the roto artists said something about "when I walk outside, I kind of see these lines all around leaves, contours and people". And I can understand the guy. Really!

I tend to TRY to break down a building or something into basic geometry and think "hmm, how would I go about doing that with LWCAD?" But most of the times my mind just shuts down and I carry on walking down the street like any other random guy, skipping a little and whistling to the instrumental bridge (or is it a chorus?) in "Windy" by The Association. :D

colkai
09-25-2009, 04:43 AM
A classic I did was look at the pavement edge that rounds the corner into our close and think "could do with another level of subdivision - you can see the segments" :p

virtualcomposer
09-25-2009, 04:49 AM
I'm always analyzing textures for tge most part. We went to a random building the other day and I looked and felt the side of it asking myself "do the bumps go inward or outward? Or do they do both. If not both then what percentage is out and what is in? Rubber textures are pretty facinating to. I love being in my own world. My wife sometimes ask me if I'm not having fun or thinking about something deep but no, I'm thinking once I get home and can start my computer and start working in 3D again. ( :

SteveH
09-25-2009, 06:18 AM
I remember being outside looking at the mountain next to us under unique lighting conditions and thinking to myself - that doesn't look real at all. It gets pretty bad when nature doesn't look real.
I think I need to nap more.:D

AdamAvenali
09-25-2009, 06:23 AM
How do you sleep at night? AHAHA

i sleep just fine :D

danielkaiser
09-25-2009, 07:43 AM
3D is the Art of Observation.

probiner
09-25-2009, 08:25 AM
naaah, thats Drawing... =)
But ppl draw with 3D today =P

Sande
09-25-2009, 09:20 AM
But I do find myself looking at textures allot and wondering "I wonder if I can replicated this texture or recreate the object properties in Lightwave? ...
...Are any of you like this as well? If not then I guess I'm crazy. Lol.
Sometime ago (while having a break during crunch with our latest game) I was outside with my colleague and his cap was creating a jagged shadow to his forehead. I was really frustrated for a moment, because we had just raised the shadowmap resolution earlier that day and those artifacts should have been history by now...

stevecullum
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Actually, I think you and the rest of our lot ARE slightly crazy!

Your actually closer to the truth here than you might think! I work for a Mental Health trust and for fun, all our office took a standard clinical assessment test, that checks your current mental state. Everyone had some 'crazy' traits to one degree or another, but we just didn't score as highly as someone who would need to be treated.

hazmat777
09-25-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm always looking at the way people move. The way they walk and gesture. It's amazing how just a slight adjustment can seem like a different person entirely.

JonW
09-25-2009, 03:56 PM
As above, I do sadly look at a few to many things from a model making point of view.

Also, I try to keep a note of surface textures around the suburbs that will be best shot at the best time of day so I do less time in Photoshop.

I also use a few real plants to make trees for physical models & I’m always on the lookout in peoples gardens...... a bit of a worry!

JMCarrigan
09-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Yep - everywhere I go I take shots that seem useless to others. (I need to get another terabyte of drive space :D)

jaf
09-25-2009, 09:31 PM
I really think there's something to getting away from the subject and thinking about it. Yes, pretty vague.

I remember my days as a computer tech (not these things we have now, but PDP 11/45's, etc.) I used work for hours on problems and then take a "head" (toilet) break and sit there and think about the problem. Many times I would come up with an approach that helped me fix the problem. Ok, no jokes!

I think getting away from the computer and observing the real world is similar.

I've also dreamed programming solutions (that actually worked) but haven't gotten to that point yet with 3D modeling.

massmusic
09-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I remember being outside looking at the mountain next to us under unique lighting conditions and thinking to myself - that doesn't look real at all. It gets pretty bad when nature doesn't look real.
I think I need to nap more.:D

I find myself doing that a great deal especially when it comes to some natural lighting conditions of clouds and water. I find myself thinking, if I rendered that, it would get slammed if I posted it. At times I am tempted to post a “real or rendered” thread showing pictures of such things taken in the real world to challenge those who think they can perceive the difference. In my experience reading these post, there will be someone who will recommend “You know...That image isn’t realistic to me. Maybe if you did XYZ.....” Reality IS a matter of perception, so when we speak of one being ‘crazy’, one man’s interest with the intricate details of texture and the like, is another man’s.... Is another man’s... Wait....that sub-surface scattering in the sunrise against the clouds...Check it out!!!

wacom
09-26-2009, 06:43 PM
On the plus side it means you're never bored. Always something to look at and tune into for the most part.

The draw back is that what you find interesting probably isn't going to win you many friends at dinner parties when engaged in conversation.

Picking up juggling, uni-cycling, wearing funny hats or playing annoying instruments at gatherings is not a solution IMHO.

Between me and my art/3D friends we really know how to create space at a party just by conversing in what interests us most! Maybe we should start a service to help get arid of guests who stay to long?

jaxtone
09-27-2009, 05:26 AM
No you aren´t alone... there are many of us that doesn´t like to follow our wifes into cloth stores... about the textures of wool, wood and steel etc... I guess it´s kind of static information.

What interests me more is trying to figure out how peoples minds and senses are textured like! :hat:

I was in the clothe store with my wife
this afternoon and of course I'm board to death. But I do find myself looking at textures allot and wondering "I wonder if I can replicated this texture or recreate the object properties in Lightwave? Now my wife thinks I'm to technical minded sometimes but it's just the way my mind works. I like to know how things are made and why they work. Which ultimately helps when creating things in 3D. Are any of you like this as well? If not then I guess I'm crazy. Lol.

GraphXs
09-27-2009, 06:51 PM
I do the same thing, not just w/textures but also rendering and when I see something amazing like a crazy storm coming in or a bunch of shadows or clouds or rain, light rays, reflections/refractions etc I always say: "Wow, do you know how long that would take to render".:D Crazy indeed!:help: