PDA

View Full Version : general dumb LW question

andromeda_girl
08-28-2003, 02:38 PM
hey-

i normally do very little 3D work (i am a compositor) plus me not having touched lw in about 2 years - bear this in mind when you read this dumb question please...

ok-
what happened to, or how in heck do i get the 'lasoo' thingy to show up for selecting stuff like polygons and / or points?

is this some kind of special thing i have to set up?
i always thought lw did that by default.

used to be red in lw5.5 and then became cyan in newer versions.
but i don't have this at all, it is simple not there.
it makes selecting stuff rather difficult if not impossible!
help!
~A.

Dodgy
08-28-2003, 03:09 PM
You can use the lasso in modeler, by right click dragging out the lasso shape you want:)

Also, since you're a newbie, download the manual and you won't have to embarass yourself ever again :)

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html

prospector
08-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Mine did that with an ATI 7500 video card for some reason.
Went to NVidia and all is well.

Don't know what you have but it might be it.

Simon
08-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Yes I think you'll find it's the video card, on my old PC and card the lasoo used to disappear sometimes, it still selected like it was meant to, you just couldn't see the blue outline on the screen.

Simon.

andromeda_girl
08-29-2003, 11:38 AM
ok, first things first:

i HAVE a manual
second,
I am not a newbie, I just do not use 3D much.
thirdly,
i KNOW how the lasoo tool works-- the problem is the lasoo DOES NOT APPEAR ON SCREEN.

read the question carefully to avoid embarassment next time :P

now then:
back to the video card responses:

my video card is an nvidea gfx 5600, not an ATI card, so i doubt it is the card although i will check into this.

Dodgy
08-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Oh I can't be asked.....

Judas_Childman
08-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Do you use single or dual display? If dual try single maybe where is something lacking in your OGL support when using two displays.

What resolution do you use for your display and what color
depth?

You are saying that when you lasso it does not appear on screen as geometry or points are selected, correct? This very well could be related to your graphics card, try adjusting the refresh rate.
Since it is Nvidia based make sure that the Desktop manager is not enabled it can do some strange things.

When was the last time you updated the drivers for your graphics card?

Have you tried disabling the Hub to remove it's overhead from your resources?

How about the ole trashing of the LW configs?

UnCommonGrafx
08-29-2003, 07:47 PM
What Os are you using? Do you have any language packs installed; for example, any Asian language packs will do weird things to the display colors of an English based machine.

Your question was a bit vague. :D

Good luck.

andromeda_girl
08-30-2003, 01:12 PM
ugh
ok, i am an idiot, don't mind me, i just figured out the problem.

i use a tablet and it's just me not realizing that the lasoo works when i use a specific button.
duhhhh

:S

ok, in my own defense i haven't used lw in ages and it's my first time using a tablet with it, so go ahead, laugh it up, i have it all figured out now.

(ugh i am soooo embarrassed)

Dodgy
08-30-2003, 05:17 PM