PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 UB, CFM or both?

Mr Mouse
09-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi folks I'd be grateful for your help /advice before I proceed.

I've been a LW8 user for ages and have just upgraded to LW 9.6
I monitor share a ppc (running LW8) and an intel machine.

Which version of Lightwave would you recommend I install for the broadest availability of plugins paricularly those that I have enjoyed/relied on using with v8?

Can I install both versions i.e UB and CFM?

Any tips/ help etc would be gratefully received

Lightwolf
09-23-2009, 12:02 PM
You can install both.
I'd suspect the UB to be a tad faster... but it won't run any of your old V8 plugins of course.

Cheers,
Mike

DrStrik9
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
To run the UB version of 9.6, the plugins all end in ".plugin", whereas the earlier CFM versions end in ".p".

Most of the plugins I use regularly (like FPrime) have already been ported to the UB protocol. But there are a few older ones (mostly Modeler plugs) that I may still use once in awhile. So I keep the 9.6 CFM version of LW around, and only use it when I absolutely have to. I find the UB version to be a bit faster, and a lot more stable in general, on an Intel quad core Xeon Mac Pro.

If your work-flow is heavily dependent on certain plugs, it might be a good idea to check on each one, to see if it has been updated for UB yet.

Cheers

BeeVee
09-23-2009, 02:05 PM
There's a thread on this forum with the Universal plugins that have been compiled (it's a little out of date now since no-one has posted there for a while with new UB plugins): Universal plugins (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74213&highlight=universal)

B

Mr Mouse
09-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Thank you all so much all for your great advice.

So I could play better with old plugins with the cfm version but choose to render faster and have greater stability with the ub version. That sounds like a useful route.

Does each version installation coexist harmoniously e.g with regard preferences for both 9.6 installations not being shared etc or is there some house keeping with configs or preferences that need to be done to make sure things don't go screwy?

Again any further advice to sooth my furrowed brow before I proceed would be most welcomed.

dwburman
09-23-2009, 09:59 PM
The CFM and UB versions handle the configs differently.

Also, with the UB version, if you make a folder named 'Preferences' in the Lightwave folder it'll put all the config files in there instead of Application Support (or wherever the UB version normally puts them)

rsfd
09-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Does each version installation coexist harmoniously e.g with regard preferences...

The 9.6 Download and Installation Guide answers common questions about how to keep different installs separated.
Guide link: http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68525&d=1232492066
Comes out of this thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94245

Mr Mouse
09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks again folks.

:thumbsup: